SH1 Named an 'Essential Game' by Playstation Magazine

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

SH1 Named an 'Essential Game' by Playstation Magazine

Post by Anonymous »

I don't know if anyone else saw this, but last month the Official Playstation Magazine released its 100th issue. The main feature for the issue was "The Essential 100", which was a list of 100 games on the PS1, PS2, and PSP that "you must play before you die". In other words, the best of the best for all the Playstation consoles. Not surprisingly, the first Silent Hill made it into the list, and it was even the featured game for 1999 with several screenshots and a nice long write-up that took up the better part of the page! Always good to see SH getting a little recognition from critics.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Where was it on the list?

And why wasn't Silent Hill 2 on the list? It's considered by many to be the best game in the series, and was certainly the survival horror game of the PS2 era.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Drewfus wrote:Where was it on the list?
The games weren't ranked by number, only by the year that they were released.

As for SH2, I assume the editors gave the nod to the original and not the sequels because SH1 was the beginning of the series, and was therefore more revolutionary and had a bigger impact on the gaming market than SH2-4. In fact, here's an excerpt from the write-up:

"While later games in the series refined the formula, it's hard to recapture the initial 'what the hell is that?' horror of your first-ever visit to Silent Hill. 'To this day I am afraid of fog and radio static,' says Zoe Flower. 'This is the Jaws of the PlayStation.'"
Chris Sunderland
Historical Society Historian

Post by Chris Sunderland »

Certianly it's good to see SH1 get some kerd.SH2 isn't just a redefiniton though,it's a toattaly different prespective on horror.Honestly the media completely over looks the greatness in SH2. :evil:
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
rabbit in your headlights
Just Passing Through

Post by rabbit in your headlights »

I´m very glad that only SH1 made it into the list, since it is the best Silent hill
If you´ve made your peace, then devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth
Caim

Post by Caim »

Yeah, I have this magazine. It had a well deserved place in that list.
A dead person can't write a letter... it's illegal.
Heather_Mason
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Heather_Mason »

That's awesome...Their still giving the first one, the credits it deserves...I suppose it only makes sense, their still doing so with Resident Evil, and my opinion of course, Silent Hill, is a much better ser...So, it only makes sense.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Silent Hill 1 is the scariest of the four games... May be someone that played by the first time any of the other don't think in this way... But if you have played SH1 by the first you really knew what mean soil your pants... SH 1 is the darkest of the saga and its noise/music can got you rslly upset... The enemies are a lot smarter than for the other games, the dark scenaries are REALLY dark, the Harry's motion just can be seen in the other games in the hard mode same that the puzzles... This game is a piece of bizarre art and always will be my favorite...

RUN HARRY RUN!!!

Sorry, I forgot another thing about SH1 that is great for me... All the details without an explanation like the scratched school desk and the Wolf pictures... There are a lot of things that are related with the other games showing that the developers created a solid story since the beggining (Not like Resident Evil where in the new games appear things and charcters that in the early games they never mentioned =cough= RE Zero =cough=)

Edited by Krist. Please don't let this happen again.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

You need to edit your previous post, not make a whole new one. Just press the "EDIT" button on the top right because double posting is baaaaaad.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Oh yeah!, Silent Hill 1 is the best one
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

That's awesome and all, but I do think Silent Hill 2 is the best of the series. But, who cares, Silent Hill as a whole is the best damn horror franchise out there.
GioGio

Post by GioGio »

In my opinion, SH1 is one of if not the best game made.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

I concur, SH1 is my fav too.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

OPM sucks. :? PSM is much better
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I do agree that in a lot of ways, Silent Hill 2 is superior to Silent Hill 1. But overall, I keep coming back to the first Silent Hill. It never fails to get under my skin, and it's impossible to not root for Harry. It just had more of a sense of urgency: you're trying to find your daughter who's lost in a dangerous town with several ghouls of the human and non-human variety out to get her. Personally, if I were James, I'd be outta town at the first sight of danger.
Miros
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Miros »

It's nice to see that SH1 made it to the list, although I question the timing. Hope they weren't just putting it there to shamelessly promote the upcoming movie. I'm not saying that it doesn't deserve a spot there, just know how some magazines think. /evil eye

*gives a high five to SH1 for it's achievement though!*
Comin soon!
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

This thread is two months old you know lol.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

SH1 is the best out of them all!! It is cool that Silent Hill made it on the list, but I don't care for the opinions of editors/critics. I prefer to trust my own judgments rather than getting spoonfed by someone else. By the way, who the hell is Zoe Flower?
Anesthetized_Static
Just Passing Through

Post by Anesthetized_Static »

That's nice to know, seeing as the last few game magazines I read put-down the early SH games and labelled them as being "games of the past". I wanted to burn them. :evil:
Even in daytime darkness will cover the Sun.
silenced angel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by silenced angel »

SH1 is the best, in my opinion.
The SH sequels are great, they have better looking graphics, scary monsters, etc.
But I just don't get that feeling from the sequels; the feeling I got when I first played the first Silent Hill.

I think this is an essencial game for any Horror game lover.
nanook in heaven...