The "I GOT IT!" Thread + Spoiler-Free Impressions

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

It's annoying cos I'm living in halls of residence so I have to walk down to the entrace lobby and check my box, and when it's empty I feel silly lol.....I hope it's here on Monday cos I have a massive free on monday
Girl Interrupted
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Girl Interrupted »

Finally bought and played the game yesterday and so far I'm enjoying it! The monsters are definitely a challenge, I think most, if not all of the mosnters I've encountered have gotten a good few hits in.
Love the fighting/blocking in this game though, it feels more realistic. The plot to this game is also interesting, the more I play it the better it gets. IMO though I don't think any other SH game can top SH4's story for me. But this game is definitely worth playing.
Wally
Just Passing Through

Post by Wally »

Haven't been able to read through the entire thread yet, and just started the game but the very first impression that is just kicking me is the face is the lack of being able to invert the camera. I know others have issue with this as well... I can't believe that they would let a game go out the door without this function included.

Note: Able to invert the aim when you have a firearm but not the camera. Ugh.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I FINALLY HAVE IT!!!!! And I have to say it's not as bad as I thought. The combat isn't too difficult but my hand is cramping a little due to the button mashing but I am enjoying it so far. :D
deez
Just Passing Through

Post by deez »

I havent been on this sight in forever, after the dissapointment i felt with orgins i thought the series was dead. This game proves me wrong. Despite what some reviewers say this is like all silent hill games not just a game but an interactive experience, but dont get me wrong its not near perfect, the reason i praise it is cause i thought that new developers would fuck it up. It has its fair share of short comings but even more important is that it feels like a silent hill game.

First the pros: I think that the enemie designs are insanely good and creative, so far the plot is intriguing once you get to silent hill, I like the fact that the protaganist is on a mission to find someone like the first 2 were like it gives me that warm nalstalgic feeling of playing the first game (which is my favorite one), The envirorments in the latter half of the game are dripping with atmosphere, it is very tense when you are low on heath have no ammo and just a pipe, and my favorite pro is thatthe otherworlds go for the look that was on sh1 which makes me happy in my pants :wink:

Cons: I think the combat is fun and an improvement in making it intresting to kill monsters but its just so damn tough, after the first level which is amazing and gives you hope youll be dissapointed through the next few segments as they can be very boring, i wish that we werent playing a soldier and instead playing a normal guy also he doesnt seem frightend enough too me, the music is good but has been better for example some parts your engaged in some serious battle yet you get this emotional song instead of a tense fight music

Thats all off the top of my head ill come back and edit when i finish the game so consider that a preview and not a review but so far id put it worse than first three but better than orgins and the room
Im like nike... I just do it
Enlightened
Just Passing Through

Post by Enlightened »

I really like it. The combat system is perfect. A lot of people thought the combat system would be Resident Evil -esque, but its not at all. The graphics are awesome, execept for the fact that when the characters speak, their mouth hardly moves, or moves awkwardly in some scenes. The enemies feel very much the same in terms of confrontation. They are slightly smarter then previous games, Although you can use your environment to trick them or set up glitches. The acting is pretty good. The bosses are cool too.
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

the final area was one big fat con for me. Total letdown. I'm trying very hard for it not to taint my memory of the overall experience, but it was just so meh. It really felt like they ran out of time and half assed it. Dang.
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Ok so I haven finished it yet but im right at the end apparently. So far....not fully impressed, Sure some bits shocked me but it didn't fully feel like a Silent Hill game....and when you get to Silent Hill you hardly explore the streets at all....

This game is average, unless the ending can pick up....
purplepolecat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by purplepolecat »

My impressions, from playing up until Silent Hill:

Way better than 4
Not in the same league as 2
Soundtrack could be stronger, it's OK but doesn't assault you like in 1 and 2
Combat is hard, items are scarce, it's like playing on Hard difficulty in the previous games
Supporting characters are OK but don't "pop" as much as those in 1, 2 or 3
Great monster design, possibly the best in any game
I can't identify with Alex as much as protagonists in 1, 2 or 3. His military bearing means you don't feel scared for him.
Agree with C.S., the combat tips, although useful, break the 4th wall too much. This is silent hill not metal gear solid, we shouldn't need combat tips.
Pretty interesting plot, looking forward to denouement.

All in all, it's as good as we could have reasonably hoped for.

EDIT : OK I just figured out what was bugging me about this game. All the other games had fixed or limited-movement camera, which made lots of weird camera angles possible - overhead, knee-height, looking down from a great distance, etc. and this really added to the atmosphere of the game. The new over the shoulder camera is more realistic and more convenient for combat (you're never surprised by a monster that was right in front of you but hidden by the camera), but it takes away a huge weapon in the creators' cinematic arsenal. EXACTLY the same thing happened for RE4.
I miss your kissin' and I miss your head
And a letter in your writing doesn't mean you're not dead
- Pixies, "Cactus"
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

purplepolecat wrote:My impressions, from playing up until Silent Hill:

Way better than 4
Not in the same league as 2
Soundtrack could be stronger, it's OK but doesn't assault you like in 1 and 2
Combat is hard, items are scarce, it's like playing on Hard difficulty in the previous games
Supporting characters are OK but don't "pop" as much as those in 1, 2 or 3
Great monster design, possibly the best in any game
I can't identify with Alex as much as protagonists in 1, 2 or 3. His military bearing means you don't feel scared for him.
Agree with C.S., the combat tips, although useful, break the 4th wall too much. This is silent hill not metal gear solid, we shouldn't need combat tips.
Pretty interesting plot, looking forward to denouement.

All in all, it's as good as we could have reasonably hoped for.

EDIT : OK I just figured out what was bugging me about this game. All the other games had fixed or limited-movement camera, which made lots of weird camera angles possible - overhead, knee-height, looking down from a great distance, etc. and this really added to the atmosphere of the game. The new over the shoulder camera is more realistic and more convenient for combat (you're never surprised by a monster that was right in front of you but hidden by the camera), but it takes away a huge weapon in the creators' cinematic arsenal. EXACTLY the same thing happened for RE4.
Even with this camera system, I've been suprised on numerous occasions... They took a risk by changing the camera system, just as leaving it the same would have risked people complaining they weren't trying something different...
revalations 23:16
Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

So... you can control the cameras moreso than the other games? That is potentially awesome. : |

Ok... Double Helix, you get a few brownie points back, but you are still in the red.
Sunderpants
Just Passing Through

Post by Sunderpants »

I got the game a day after it's release.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the final product. I didn't find it to be scary...but I haven't been scared of a video game since the first Silent Hill back in '99. So that's just me.

FYI: Maybe it's just me, but it seems like everyone in Sheperd's Glen has lazy eye. :shock: :P
SUNDERPANTS:
Providing a comfortable fit for the self-loathing, guilt ridden man in your life.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/MinookaThrilla/DougLovesJD.jpg[/img]
CutTheVeinAgain
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CutTheVeinAgain »

I'm pretty happy about it so far. Got it a couple days after its release. I didn't even know it was out. I've really been out of the loop with things lately. Too much going on and I was really disappointed with Origins. But anyway, I have it and it's been pretty cool. Monsters are more challenging in my opinion. The story seems good so far.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I got it on Thursday, got my Xbox back from Microsoft on Friday, and beat it on Saturday. I do believe I have a new favorite Silent Hill game. It's stunningly beautiful; the ambient lighting is incredible. At certain parts of the game I turned off my flashlight just so I could get a look at it, and it's quite impressive.

I just dig this game. It's more action-oriented than previous titles, but not to the point where it turns into an action-horror game. It's still survival horror, and it's obvious. The monsters are terrifying, and until you figure out their weaknesses and learn how to dodge properly, they're a real bitch. D: And they're creepy too, don't forget that.

And I enjoy the storyline immensely. Best storyline since the first, in my opinion. It's well crafted, well told, and while it might not be the most complex one around, it's not bad at all, "especially for an american developer." [/sarcasm]

If Double Helix wants to make the next one, also, they have my blessings. They've truly created a whole new beast, while still giving us the Silent Hill we all know and love underneath it.

So, I will be off to play it some more! xD
I once was lost, but am now profound.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Finished it a 2nd time yesterday and I have to say I'm liking it more now. Now i'm getting used to the combat I finished the game with loads of health items to spare. It's not the best Silent Hill, but it's a good one
RestlessxDreams3
Just Passing Through

Post by RestlessxDreams3 »

Alright, so I started playing the game at a friends house today. [She's had the game for about a week and a half and did even open it until tonight, she's a real pal for waiting for me :P] My first impressions...

I'm liking the combat system, I was sure about it at first, but once I got used to it, it was great.
I'm not to found of the camera though, it was kinda awkward at first.
I'm liking the storyline too, a lot actually. [So far away...] I can't wait to finish the game and see how it ends.
I haven't fought any of the bosses yet, hopefully those go well. :P
[img]http://i12.tinypic.com/4l75lk3.jpg[/img]
IzaHova
Just Passing Through

Post by IzaHova »

Guess I'm a little late posting here....I bought the game about a week ago. Ive already finished it and seen all 5 endings and completed all of the achievements but 2. I'm almost through on Hard difficulty and I know exactly where the drawing I missed was so I should be completely finished with the game sometime tonight or tomorrow afternoon if I lose my motivation. The game had me really angry earlier because I couldn't figure out how to unlock the last costume.....then I found out you can only get it with the old school Konami Contra code from the start menu....Derrr! It's a good game I think....but it's not as good as SH1,2, 0r 3. For me SH1 is simply genius and will never be surpassed IMO.....SH2 is just slightly less genius than 1 and 3 isjust a tad less brilliant than 2. Homecoming is better than SH4:The Room though....at least I think it is. That game should have never been turned into a Silent Hill game at all.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/IzaHova/SH2optimizaedsmall.gif[/img]
"Do you know what's really scary? You want to forget something. Totally wipe it off your mind. But you never can. It can't go away, you see. And... and it follows you around like a ghost." - From 'A Tale of Two Sisters' a Kim Jee-Woon Film
Justicar333
Just Passing Through

Post by Justicar333 »

Got sick of waiting for steam and decided to bite the bullet. Got a PS3, and homecoming this past Saturday. Got to say, quite happy with it. =D
GioGio

Post by GioGio »

I got it the day it came out, luckily, there's an EB Games minutes (by car) from my home. Such a great store to have near by.
I completed SH:HC a few days later, replayed over and over till I got all the endings.

HC is not a game I see myself playing often unlike SH1 my fav, SH2 the brilliant one and SH3, they're the only ones I still enjoy replaying. SH4, Origins and HC collecting dust.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

I managed to get myself a copy of the game on PC and I've played up to half way through the Hotel. So far I'm liking it but it's not blown me away. It plays well, the music's good and it has some nice visuals...but that's about it. It seems lacking so far.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3