Henry-why the hate?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

PrescitedEntity
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by PrescitedEntity »

Severeth wrote:"Are you okay?!"
"DUHHH ASSHOLE I'M BLEEDING TO DEATH."

Would be a MUCH better piece of dialogue.
Actually, out of shock, I could see someone saying something like "Are you okay?" to a person in Cynthia's situation. Also, I think it might have been a way to check if she was still alive/conscious, given that she was lying in a large pool of blood, unmoving. It would sound infinitely more ridiculous to ask, "Are you alive?" or something to that effect.
Lemex
Gravedigger

Post by Lemex »

Actually... that's true.
And considering Henry is described in the game as an introvert, it is less likely he would be able to deal and cope with such a situation.
blank fairy
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by blank fairy »

KageReneko wrote:Poor Henry, everybody hates his hair style...

Henry finds Cynthia stabbed to death and he just tries to comfort her last life seconds (A suicidal wouldn't do that, maybe get the knife and stab himself); this act regardless the stupid question Are You OK is a really humanitary act or maybe he just liked her for the special fgavor promise...
I didn’t mean “suicidal” in that he was desperate to find a way to kill himself, since he could have just done so while he was still in the apartment. I meant that he just doesn’t seem to value his life too much, that kind of suicidal. And I said he was suicidal not an asshole :?
I don't think Walter would choose a suicidal for his rithual...
Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure Walter would have loved to have had his job made easier.
Plus, humans aren't great conductors. Unless he was sopping wet, he was unlikely to get more than his hand shocked and possibly burned.
Well I wasn't even concerned about that. Besides I'm pretty sure he wasn't thinking at that moment "Ok I'll be fine, my biology teacher said so".
RiceDaddy7
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by RiceDaddy7 »

No, Walter wouldn't pick a suicidal because that would increase the chances of Henry dying before Eileen...and they have to die in a certain order, you know? Comically, I'd like to believe that if Henry actually did try to kill himself Walter would suddenly appear, grab him, and cry " No no no! You're messing it all up, you fool! "
blank fairy
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by blank fairy »

I guess. Walter still took a big risk then by letting Henry out to gather all the information.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I don't believe the order of the killings is as important as people make it out to be.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
PrescitedEntity
Brookhaven Receptionist

blank fairy wrote: Well I wasn't even concerned about that. Besides I'm pretty sure he wasn't thinking at that moment "Ok I'll be fine, my biology teacher said so".
Eh, it shouldn't take a biology nerd to know that. And yeah, he wouldn't be thinking that - but he wouldn't be thinking much else, either.

MMY, if the order is not important, why didn't Walter just kill Henry during the five days? Or, for that matter, at any other given time? It seems kind of odd to think that the killings just happened to coincide with the sacraments...
ShotDownSlurper
Just Passing Through

Post by ShotDownSlurper »

In Henry's case, Walter had to wait for Henry to become the Receiver of Wisdom before he can complete the sacraments... I don't think it was so much about the order but about the murder theme... Some died because of the Ten Hearts, others as Temptation, Chaos and such...
Death of the body just means little----Severs the last tie to reality closing the way back
RiceDaddy7
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by RiceDaddy7 »

Ah, that makes sense. So as long as he died after Joseph tells him the info, Walter's plan is okay.
PrescitedEntity
Brookhaven Receptionist

Doesn't explain why Walter didn't make things more expedient by triggering the Joseph haunting earlier, or if it's just the knowledge itself, why he didn't give that knowledge to Henry himself...
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/PrescitedEntity/sigLinger.jpg[/img]
ShotDownSlurper
Just Passing Through

Post by ShotDownSlurper »

Hmmm i think 'cause it just would have been TOO easy... like just Walter coming to your door, sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee talking for hours to Henry about how he's supposed to be the Receiver of Wisdom for a crazy ritual he must die in... Probably Henry would have been there thinking "as soon as he turns around i call the cops" the entire time and then start thinking about redecorating his apartment lol...

It would have taken all the fun away for Walter as well... Walter enjoyed every single second of making Henry go through warped crazy worlds... Which is what makes Henry wonder what the hell is going on and why and therefor, craving for information (wisdom in this case)...

Also I'm guessing Walter needed time to first kill
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
DeSalvo, Braintree, Cynthia and Eileen
so why not make Henry turn himself into the Receiver of Wisdom while he killed all the others?... Now about triggering the Joseph haunting first... I wouldn't know but in-game speaking, then it wouldn't have made sense to go through all those worlds gathering "wisdom" when the ghost tells you everything during the first half of the game... Probably the best way to look at it is from Henry's point of view... I personally tend to keep information a lot better when I NEED to know rather than when someone wants me to know but I'm not interested... Why would he be interested if someone just knocks on your door, tells you a bunch of crazy stuff you've never heard of before and then tries to kill you? It's a lot more efficient to first show him there are other worlds, there's crazy stuff beyond reality so that HE is the one who tries to find out what's happening and gather as many information as he can to see how he can break out of a haunted locked up apartment... Also because if you don't, as soon as he saw a ghost bursting out of the ceiling...Well...I dont know about him but I wouldn't wait for the ghost to tell me a nice story about the crazy guy that locked me up, I'd run like hell and not look back or shoot myself in the head...

That's just my opìnion though... I may not be right about it...
Death of the body just means little----Severs the last tie to reality closing the way back
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>Also I'm guessing Walter needed time to first kill DeSalvo, Braintree, Cynthia and Eileen

He had as much time as he wanted. It was part of the whole ritual to let Henry watch these people die in order to give him the wisdom.

>why not make Henry turn himself into the Receiver of Wisdom while he killed all the others?...

As I said above.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
PartyHard
Just Passing Through

Post by PartyHard »

Henry... not even the aliens wanted this guy.
volpe3fuego
Just Passing Through

Post by volpe3fuego »

Whoa I know this thread is really old but I just want to say that honestly, Henry is my favorite SH character and I think the reason why he had such a laid-back, stoic personality was because if he would've been otherwise, it would've distracted the player from the actual story, which revolves around SH4's real main character: Walter Sullivan.
The Game..what's up with that? Who's his manager: Milton Bradley? ~ Edge making fun of Triple H,WWE
cautsu
Just Passing Through

Post by cautsu »

Well, like 10 million other people and there moms have said, Henry is just a bleak, un-interesting character. The only info you get about him is what you observe of his items and pictures. There's not much else to it really. I only like him because my uncontrollable teenaged hormones act up whenever I see him and Walter...together...outside of the game...

naked.

I dunno. I mean, after awhile you get to see a bit of personality to...sort of. It's just in an emotionless state the whole time, except for when he shows a slight angle in his brows.
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

O.o...
I sorta kinda liked what they were trying to get at with trying to portray him as the only SH character to simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time (Maybe that is)
But he really needed more plot!I mean Eileen's there half the game basically and SHE has more plot than him!Sorry Eileen fans but I truly hated that
Really all you get is the 'I felt drawn...' quote and even that can be tossed around.
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/animefairyofdarkness/o0p1cpjpgcopy.jpg[/img]
Most people say Henry's a pervert because of looking through the peephole to Eileen's room, but here's the thing: Your not required to do that, it's the players choice.
So whose the pervert now :P?

((Apparently you can OD on Green Tea...And it's painful.))
11x20
Hope House Careworker

Post by 11x20 »

I think Henry is kind of a foil-- his lack of depth is meant to bring out Walter's story. If Henry had this full, drawn-out background, then Walter's wouldn't have stood out as much.

Considering how normal and plain he is, his past probably consisted of a normal home with a normal family and generally everything that Walter always dreamed of. Perhaps Walter chose Henry because of this? Just my guess. I think that if the creators ever made a Lost Memories type of book for SH4 and explained more of Henry's past, we would see a true Night and Day kind of contrast. Walter was alone, abused, unsupported, and Henry was with his family, not abused, and supported. But this is just what I imagine-- so don't take this paragraph too seriously. For all we know, Henry could have been the product of an abusive home as well, but just learned to cope better.

Henry's reason for being so "blank slate" is to amplify the emotional impact of Walter's story.

He's also the "Receiver of Wisdom" so it's his job to do the listening, and not the talking. He's there to learn Walter's story, not really share his.

I think Henry gets a lot more hate than he deserves. I used to hate Henry myself, but after playing SH4 some more, I grew to like him a lot more. He's the guy who will forever be "just the acquaintance" to the fans of the series. Where we know everything about Travis, James, Harry, Heather, Alex, we'll only ever see Henry as that guy who doesn't talk much. I kind of like that aspect about him.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=420479#420479/][img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/404errord/waltersig1.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5020211/1/Afterlife][ e x a m i n e ? ][/url] [url=http://11x20.deviantart.com/][dA][/url] [url=http://11x20.deviantart.com/gallery/#A-F-T-E-R-L-I-F-E][project page][/url]
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

I didn't hate him persay but way back when SH4 first came out my family and I simply called him 'Useless' and would call him that as my mum played the game. I only recently started favoriting him and...I don't really know where it came from XD He and James are just so lovable.
Personally I think something may have happened due to the comment on his photo as a child and he doesn't seem like the 'Mom and Dad wouldn't let me stay up late so my life sucked' type of person. I'm not saying it might have been exactly abusive either.
Zerosignal
Just Passing Through

Post by Zerosignal »

I don't mind Henry, he's sort of a blank slate, but i'd rather play as adult Walter. At least Walter had some semblance of a personality.
[i]Stay.
You don't always know where you stand,
'Till you know that you won't run away.
There's something inside me that feels...
Like breathing in sulfur.[/i]
[b]-Slipknot[/b]
Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I have replayed SH:TR for the first time in over 2 yr.s and taking this latest replay (thanks mostly to Brad :P ) I find myself liking Henry more. I mean, Harry (as much as I love him) was not as deep as other characters, but for some reason Henry just displays his blatant un-amaziness moreso than Harry.

Heather was a firecracker. travis was a badass. James was dully intresting (intrestingly dull?), but for some reason, Henry is singled out.

In this last playthrough, I find that Henry fits in well w/ the other characters. I think he (unfortunatly being stuck between them) is constantly compaired to Heather and Travis. I find Henry's numb exterior somewhat endearing now, when before I found annoying.