Hauntings disappearing by themselves...

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Mina Fairway
Just Passing Through

Hauntings disappearing by themselves...

Post by Mina Fairway »

So I was playing around in the room, to waste time. I had just finished Subway World for the second time, so I only had two hauntings: the clock and the windows.

I stayed in there for a while, and noticed that the windows stopped rattling. The clock stopped ticking a moment after. I didn't have a medallion equipped (going for the 21 Sacraments Ending, with cheats on because I'm lazy), and I didn't even bother to pick up candles. When I moved close, the screen didn't turn red or anything. So I'm rather confused. Has this happened to anyone else?
Girl Interrupted
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Girl Interrupted »

I've had haunting stop by themselves before too, like the windows will start to get softer and softer then completely stop shaking. Guess it's a common thing.

Welcome to the forum btw!
Mina Fairway
Just Passing Through

Post by Mina Fairway »

It probably is common occurance, but I've never actually heard any one talk about it before.
It annoyed me though. I was going to record all the hauntings for a video, and as soon as I went to record the clock, the windows stopped. :|

Thanks! Your icon is great, by the way. Nurse Joker FTW.
Grendel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Grendel »

Yup. Hauntings usually go away by themselves. But it usually takes quite a long time. I recall the Shabby Doll haunting going away by itself (of all hauntings, I always never had a holy candle for the shabby doll one).
Rune
Just Passing Through

Post by Rune »

The shabby doll haunting took me forever to figure out. I always put the doll in the box. I finally had to read about how to not make that haunting happen, and man I felt dumb.... :oops:
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty...
Mina Fairway
Just Passing Through

Post by Mina Fairway »

I figured...

So will that affect the ending? I mean, if enough hauntings go away on their own, will you have less chance of obtaining the 21 Sacraments ending, and more chance of the Eileen's Death ending? Just curious.
Grendel
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Grendel »

Mina Fairway wrote:I figured...

So will that affect the ending? I mean, if enough hauntings go away on their own, will you have less chance of obtaining the 21 Sacraments ending, and more chance of the Eileen's Death ending? Just curious.
Yes. If you wish for two of the "better" endings, you must excercise atleast 80% of hauntings in your room. If you wish for the "worse" endings, you basically just let the Hauntings prosper.

If a Haunting disappears on its own, well, it counts AGAINST ya.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Wow, I guess I never stayed in the room long enough for hauntings to end before my eyes. They'd only be gone when I came back later.
Mina Fairway
Just Passing Through

Post by Mina Fairway »

Darn. I guess I should stop screwing around in there, huh?

I knew about the 80% thing, but thanks.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Yeah, it's not a good idea to let them disappear by themselves. I always took it to mean that it 'seeped into' your apartment, then, effectively screwing you over.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Yeah. I was always kind of wondering why nobody has ever mentioned the haunting just randomly dissapearing.
On my first playthrough I grabbed the shabby doll (before the walkthrough said not to). Then I'm like back in my apartment after a few trips through the portal and those freaky baby doll thingies were above my chest. So I put my crap away in the chest and for some reason they just dissapeared. It was extremely weird.
The other hauntings stayed but the baby dolls never came back. :D
Blueneon
Just Passing Through

Post by Blueneon »

angelofROOM302 wrote:Yeah. I was always kind of wondering why nobody has ever mentioned the haunting just randomly dissapearing.
On my first playthrough I grabbed the shabby doll (before the walkthrough said not to). Then I'm like back in my apartment after a few trips through the portal and those freaky baby doll thingies were above my chest. So I put my crap away in the chest and for some reason they just dissapeared. It was extremely weird.
The other hauntings stayed but the baby dolls never came back. :D
I never seen the baby doll haunting.
I, too, accepted the doll from the Apartment, and put it in my box. I've never had it as a haunting though. Haha, I never knew what that thing did... now I know.

I only played through the game once though... I don't plan on playing again either. I really didn't like this one. Maybe I'll Youtube it.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Krist. wrote:Yeah, it's not a good idea to let them disappear by themselves.
Of course, but on no playthrough have I had enough holy candles to manually eliminate every single haunting. Did you? :?
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

phantomess wrote:
Krist. wrote:Yeah, it's not a good idea to let them disappear by themselves.
Of course, but on no playthrough have I had enough holy candles to manually eliminate every single haunting. Did you? :?
Uh, yeah.. Or I just didn't go back to the apartment all that much. It's definitely possible to have enough holy candles to get rid of the hauntings or otherwise the good endings would be nearly impossible to get. Just don't waste any on Eileen, either.

Plus the Saint Medallions work, too.
amphreded

Post by amphreded »

I'm on with Krist. There's enough candles for the haunting during my play through.
[size=84][b]QUICKLINKS | [/size][size=75][url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2362]SH1[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2313]SH2[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2327]SH3[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=43347#43347]SH4[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17936]SH:H[/url] | [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=391270#391270]SH:O[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=85043#85043]SHMovie[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12563]SHGeneral[/url] |[url=http://silenthillforum.com/faq.php]FAQs[/url][/size][/b]
[size=84][color=grey][i]

[/size][/color][/i]
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

...I must go back to the apartment too much.
And I still got one of the "good" endings.
nero86
Just Passing Through

Post by nero86 »

I'm not using any guide, just playing following my decisions (yeah, I got the doll is it bad?). I think that 4 hauntings disappeared, I passed the second time on the water prison. Will I get the bad ending because of that? :o
Playing: Megaman X3, Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne Maniacs, Phoenix Wright 3, Fatal Frame and Zelda Twilight Princess.
Oh well, someday I'll finish them all... I really have to study more Visual Basic.net and Oracle...
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Yeah, if you put the doll in your chest at home, more hauntings appear that become harder to get rid of. And if you carry it around with you, that takes up one (possibly vital) item slot.

You'll get the bad ending if Eileen is para-fucked by the end and if your apartment isn't completely clear of hauntings.
nero86
Just Passing Through

Post by nero86 »

I'll try to carry the doll with me, because of it a haunting with a lot os babies appear near the chest? I didn't get the para-fucked thing, spirits?
Another question, does she die in battle or she just receive damage, reacts and no problem?

Playing: Megaman X3, Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne Maniacs, Phoenix Wright 3, Fatal Frame and Zelda Twilight Princess.
Oh well, someday I'll finish them all... I really have to study more Visual Basic.net and Oracle...
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Um, what?

Basically just don't give Eileen a weapon. She's smart enough not to get in the way of anything when you fight it off, and if you do give her a weapon, it just makes her possessed easily. And then she'll die quicker in the final battle.