Real final? and in water question (SPOILER ALERT)

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Pretty interesting, I didn't thought about it under that kind of light, but umm... spoiler tags, please?
We're in a spoiler topic about the ending. Tough shit.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Fargo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Fargo »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Pretty interesting, I didn't thought about it under that kind of light, but umm... spoiler tags, please?
We're in a spoiler topic about the ending. Tough shit.
Well you could've at least keep the spoiler tags in my quotes, I used them for a reason :?

But... whatever, no big deal :roll:
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

You are evil, Aura. :twisted: How can you not use spoiler tags in a spoiler forum? :D
I'm just playing, Fargo, I do it too sometimes. :D
I still like the Leave ending the best, but we all know the UFO ending is the real ending, so I don't know why we keep talking about the In Water and Rebirth endings, which don't involve aliens. :D
Fargo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Fargo »

PeachySakura24 wrote:You are evil, Aura. :twisted: How can you not use spoiler tags in a spoiler forum? :D
I'm just playing, Fargo, I do it too sometimes. :D
I still like the Leave ending the best, but we all know the UFO ending is the real ending, so I don't know why we keep talking about the In Water and Rebirth endings, which don't involve aliens. :D
One can't have too many aliens, huh? :P
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Or dogs. We need lots of friendly, tail-wagging, face-licking poochie-dogs. Just because Silent Hill is full of monsters that spit acid at you, beat you with poles, or wave knives big enough to mince a Lincoln Navigator doesn't mean it can't be a cheery place.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

My thoughts exactly, Oddish. :) Silent Hill is a lovely place.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Yes, an ideal vacation spot. Just bring the right vacation gear: a good flashlight with plenty of batteries, a transistor radio so you can catch some tumes, and a handy-dandy 12-gauge shotgun. Leave the suntan oil at home.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Fargo wrote:True enough, but even in real life some of those who have really bad depression problems wouldn't really confess to others that they actually plan to kill themselves, they lose all hope in life and don't want other people's simpathy or pitty... for all we know, maybe James was lying to himself at that moment without really knowing, who knows?
Maybe so, but I find it questionable that James would emphatically deny suicidal feelings, especially considering that by this point he's already aware of his actions, only to kill himself five minutes later.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

I can see it on "The Price is Right": the Silent Hill vacation package.

RICH FIELDS: "Jane, your showcase begins with this portable radio and clip-on flashlight! First, a cheap but durable miniaturized transistor radio. No tapes, no CD's, no iPod. But it covers the AM and FM bands, and kicks out static in the presence of monsters. Next, an unbreakable plastic LED flashlight, complete with several spare batteries. It hooks securely to any garment, providing almost unlimited hands-free light."

(Jane, the contestant, looks bored)

RICH: "And next, Jane, you'll be the envy of your friends when they see you toting around this... portable arsenal!"

(Shot of the contestant, Jane, looking somewhat appalled)

RICH: "This assortment of lethal weaponry begins with a brand-new Cutco meat cleaver: with resin handle, it's totally dishwasher safe, and its surgical stainless steel blade will cut through either flesh or bone with ease. Next, we have a Glock 17 semiautomatic pistol! The choice of police and military agencies everywhere, this compact but efficient weapon comes complete with three 17-round magazines, Crimson-trace laser sight, and a generous supply of hollow-point ammunition. Next, this brand-new Mossberg 500 shotgun! This pump-action 12-gauge is affordable and easy to use, but it'll stop a grizzly bear up close, and it comes complete with cleaning kit, sling, mounted flashlight, and a bandolier full of shells. And last but not least, a Weatherby Mark V hunting rifle in .340 Weatherby Magnum, complete with full accessory kit. And that's not all, Jane! You'll have plenty of opportunity to use these weapons on your trip to Silent Hill!"

(Audience cheers. Jane's face is probably green by now.)

RICH: "We'll fly you and any guest stupid enough to come with you one-way to Portland, Maine, where you'll enjoy a one-night stay at the Brahms Motel 6 before being dropped off at the edge of this quaint northeastern hamlet to begin your exciting adventure. Your worst neuroses will be turned into monsters that will come after you and pummel, scratch, bite, impale, or spit acid at you. Enjoy sights like Alchemilla Hospital, Riverside Motel, that elementary school I can't remember offhand, and Blue Creek Apartments. Meet bizarre characters who shoot dogs, ignite their own daughters, or peddle weird designer drugs. Face the legendary trial of the Abyss. And, in the unlikely event that you survive, we'll even throw in a bus ride home. And this showcase can be yours if... the price is right!"

(Audience cheers wildly.)

DREW CAREY: "Thanks, Rich. Now, Jane, what do you bid for this... ah, wonderful Silent Hill adventure?"

No response. Jane is probably halfway to Arizona by now.

DREW: "Oh. Crap. Well, I guess the other guy wins the showcase. Remember to get your pet spayed or neutered. Drew Carey saying so long, everyone."
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

Well, of course Jane took off! No Sword of Obedience in the showcase package? No Silver Bullets? No Princess Heart transformation wand? Whatever! :mrgreen:
And who wants to go to Silent Hill without the promise of their dead spouse's doppleganger following them around?

I suppose there are other games where you invest a lot of time and trouble and have the main character die in the end, but Shadow of Destiny does it a way so much funnier, even if it was unintentional. Come to think of it, the death ending in both SH2 and SoD involve cars.....hmmmm.
Fargo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Fargo »

PeachySakura24 wrote:Come to think of it, the death ending in both SH2 and SoD involve cars.....hmmmm.
Lol, that's just one of many deaths in Shadow of Destiny.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I know. My friend got that ending his first time, swore at the game for 20 minutes, and refused to play it ever again, lol. If I got In Water first on SH2, I might have been the same way.
SilentKnight
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentKnight »

*blows cobwebs off of profile*

lol this discussion again eh? i for one believe that the in water ending is the real one. oddly enough i got leave ending the first time i passed it.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

My feelings have already been expressed, but I will summarize:

Getting dissolved by Straitjackets' acid: LOSING THE GAME!
Getting bashed into muck by kick-phappy mannequins or pipe-wielding nurses: LOSING THE GAME!
Getting your innards blown out by Eddie's .357: LOSING THE GAME!
Getting bisected, decapitated, or impaled by Pyramid Head: LOSING THE GAME!
Getting suffocated by Abstract Daddy: LOSING THE GAME!
Getting the In-Water Ending: LOSING THE GAME!

Whether James is killed or kills himself, there is no difference. You mucked up. You lost the game. So go to the main menu, select New Game and try again.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I believe that the real ending it's the In Water, but them: The possibilities shown off again... He could have lived with his illusion (Maria) or leaved the town with Laura (I doubt it, really... When James says to her that he killed Mary she went outside the room and to nowhere, d'you think she would really understand at an age of 8 that he killed Mary because he couldn't take care of her anymore? Plus, Mary and Laura were good friends, if one of my good friends were killed by another friend i wouldn't even bother to see the murderer's face again, to me, he would burn in Hell.)
As for the Rebirth ending...Well, I don't think that's possible... No one can ressurect, even with a Ritual or some Magic's here and there what you only can do is talk to the dead, nothing more....
I still believe that the original one is In Water.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

As for the Rebirth ending...Well, I don't think that's possible... No one can ressurect, even with a Ritual or some Magic's here and there what you only can do is talk to the dead, nothing more....
How do you know? Have you ever performed the Crimson Ceremony on Toluca Lake, yourself?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

AuraTwilight wrote:How do you know? Have you ever performed the Crimson Ceremony on Toluca Lake, yourself?
Yeah I did ¬¬ It's the reality, have you ever seen any dead guy walking?
I see a religious debate coming........
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Not necessarily, mostly a logistics one. What one believes religiously or metaphysically about the real world doesn't mean shit, because Silent Hill is a fictional world with it's own rules. You can't say that the Rebirth Ending is impossible because of your personal theories of death and magic.
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

I dunno. Like a lot of people, I got the In Water ending first and it just stuck with me. I honestly never considered Rebirth, or any ending which I can’t get on my first play-trough a canon. I just lump them up with the Joke endings.

Anyway, if the leave ending was canon, why didn’t James just come back? Mary was very ill, people expected her to die any minute, I doubt there would be an investigation.

The same thing with Rebirth, if it really worked, why didn’t they just come back home, claim her healing was a miraculous result of their visit to Silent Hill and be guests on Oprah’s show.

There is water damage all through the game, at one point, James encounters a flood, and the water just seems o get deeper and deeper as he goes on, we can all guess where that leads up to. Pyramid Head too, went underwater in the apartments, I believe and he is an aspect of James’s personality.

Then there is his half-hatred, doubtful “I’d never kill myself”, to me, by the tone of his voice it is clear he does not believe his own words.

Further more, James seems to have had a fairly good relationship with is dad, seeing as how Frank knew his son a daughter-in-law disappeared in Silent Hill, James must have called him before going there, so why hasn’t he contacted him if he’s still alive?

Silent Hill 2 is a tragedy, Leave ending, while sweet seems out of place. Maria and In Water endings fit the whole tragedy aspect of Silent Hill. That is why I think those two are most plausible.
Getting the In-Water Ending: LOSING THE GAME!
But why? You have beaten the game if you have defeated the final boss and got the credits IMO. Bad ending =/= losing, especially not in a Silent Hill game.

Besides, Maria ending is much worse. Rather then simply dying, James is back were he’s begun, forced to relive the worst moments of his life.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Anyway, if the leave ending was canon, why didn’t James just come back? Mary was very ill, people expected her to die any minute, I doubt there would be an investigation.
Maybe he couldn't face his friends and family out of guilt, even if he wasn't found out? Also, "Um...where is her body lol?" In which case, family might want a funeral, and then, "It looks like she was smothered..."
The same thing with Rebirth, if it really worked, why didn’t they just come back home, claim her healing was a miraculous result of their visit to Silent Hill and be guests on Oprah’s show.
Just because the Rebirth ending happens doesn't mean Mary has to necessarly be 100% better. What if she comes back sick all over again, or undead, or he just gets Maria or a baby?
I honestly never considered Rebirth, or any ending which I can’t get on my first play-trough a canon. I just lump them up with the Joke endings.
I agree.
There is water damage all through the game, at one point, James encounters a flood, and the water just seems o get deeper and deeper as he goes on, we can all guess where that leads up to. Pyramid Head too, went underwater in the apartments, I believe and he is an aspect of James’s personality.
There are also EXIT signs, and butterflies, and other symbols of Life.
Further more, James seems to have had a fairly good relationship with is dad, seeing as how Frank knew his son a daughter-in-law disappeared in Silent Hill, James must have called him before going there, so why hasn’t he contacted him if he’s still alive?
I felt the exact opposite. The two don't seem fairly good off; distant at best. Also, see above.
Silent Hill 2 is a tragedy, Leave ending, while sweet seems out of place. Maria and In Water endings fit the whole tragedy aspect of Silent Hill. That is why I think those two are most plausible.
Even tragedies have happy endings, and are prone to have such, by Shakespearean definition.