Building World-Is It So Bad?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you like the Building World in SH4?

Yes.
50%
No.
28%
I'm indifferent to it.
22%

Total votes: 123

TenderMercy
Just Passing Through

Post by TenderMercy »

I like Building world quite a bit. I like when really ordinary places get twisted. And I like big buildings. There's more things there that disturb than anywhere else. Little things. Like that big white screen spattered in blood and the feedback. The thing about the feedback is that before I even played the game I had a really terrible nightmare involving feedback. Since then I hate playing that part...
As for the problems of the gumheads, Richard and Eileen...meh. I enjoy killing them damn dirty apes. I was anticipating Richard since every other ghost showed up already so I had a silver bullet and a Sword ready. And I had left all the other ghosts pinned except Jasper because I liked him. So he was the only one I had to deal with. As for Eileen...every level I ditch her as soon as possible. Usually in the most terrible place possible. Then I laugh and laugh like the easily pleased idiot I am.
...sounds like kittens...
SH3girl32
Gravedigger

Post by SH3girl32 »

It wasn't that exciting, but I've only been through it once. I'll be going there again for the 2nd time soon. I didn't like the ghosts following me up the stairs and the gumheads ganging up on me.
FatalFrame
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FatalFrame »

Lemex wrote:
FatalFrame wrote:I didn't mind the Building World but I absolutely hated the subway. I hate the subway on three, also.
Amen about 3; but for some reason I didn't mind it on 4.

Of all the areas on Silent Hill 4 that I really did not like was the prison world.
I liked the forest world purely on the visual aspect, other than that I found it very illogical.
Well, it's not too bad the first time but I hated dragging the load Eileen through it.
Are you ready to begin your trip to the Otherside
Death is an old friend of mine
Lemex
Gravedigger

Post by Lemex »

FatalFrame wrote:
Lemex wrote:
FatalFrame wrote:I didn't mind the Building World but I absolutely hated the subway. I hate the subway on three, also.
Amen about 3; but for some reason I didn't mind it on 4.

Of all the areas on Silent Hill 4 that I really did not like was the prison world.
I liked the forest world purely on the visual aspect, other than that I found it very illogical.
Well, it's not too bad the first time but I hated dragging the load Eileen through it.
Agreed, but I just didn't enjoy dragging Eileen around altogether.
FatalFrame
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FatalFrame »

Yeah, she was a pain in the ass no matter where you went.
Are you ready to begin your trip to the Otherside
Death is an old friend of mine
the midnight rasta
Just Passing Through

Post by the midnight rasta »

im thinking that im remembering the right part of the game but im not sure its the one where theres a bunch of monkey things at the beggining and later on theres a petshop you go in and sporting goods shit and ya nvm thats the place.

i didnt find it as scary as the other levels like the forest or the subway but it was still good. i think on the 2nd time it was better but god damnit i had like 7 ghosts at once AND Walter like no shit all at once chasing me around once and god fucking damnit that sucked.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

I really liked building world, and for the same reasons that a lot of people didn't it seems. I really enjoy taking on Gumheads, and Richard was my favourite ghost. Hec, he's one of my favourite characters in the game, I think it's because he's such a bastard. But yeah, I think BW's representation of chaos was excellent, it was pretty easy to get lost with all of the different floors, and I really liked the moment that I realised that I was on the rooftop visible from The Room's window.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

My favorite part of Silent Hill 4 is in the Building World. It's when Richard falls from the sky and lands on the ground, only to get up and say, "Ouch! Dammit..."

Hilarious. Gets me every time.
tetora
Just Passing Through

Post by tetora »

i like the water prison best :)
building world's my second..
last is the apartment world -a lot of things happen there.. bad things :x
SH3girl32
Gravedigger

Post by SH3girl32 »

It was a pain to have Eileen with you the 2nd time. Those damn ghosts and hummers bugged the crap outta me. The boss battle was annoying too, since I had trouble figuring out which one to shoot at. >.< I was soooo glad Walter wasn't there to bug me though.
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

Yeah, Building World is the worst place you can bring Eileen. Good thing there's that trick to skip the level fast. As much fun as collecting items and putting them in the proper places is, sometimes I just feel like bypassing the level.
SH3girl32
Gravedigger

Post by SH3girl32 »

Sake wrote:Yeah, Building World is the worst place you can bring Eileen. Good thing there's that trick to skip the level fast. As much fun as collecting items and putting them in the proper places is, sometimes I just feel like bypassing the level.

What?? A trick to skip it? I've never heard of that. What is it?
Last edited by SH3girl32 on 21 Apr 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

Here.

EDIT - I'll explain how to do it if necessary.
SH3girl32
Gravedigger

Post by SH3girl32 »

Sake wrote:Here.

EDIT - I'll explain how to do it if necessary.

Wow, I wish I knew about that before. You can pm me and explain how to do it if you want. That'd be great! :D Does that mess up everything since you skipped a lot? Thanks for showing me!! ^-^
woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by woofy »

Building world have me a headache... there was a lot of unnecessary running around imo. I like it though
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Re: Building World-Is It So Bad?

Post by Fevered Dream »

Just replayed The Room after about 6 years or so and the Building World is still as great as I remember, definitely not as bad as some people make it out to be. It has a great urban vibe that a SH had not really explored previously to this entry and it was so surreal in that a lot of the architecture doesn't make sense which adds to the creepiness. Also, it was kinda odd knowing that you were exploring the area across from Henry's apartment, even though its clear that most of the building should not be there at all.

Oh, and did I mention Richard? Yeah he's a freaky sun of a gun. I decided to not immobilize him this time around since I wanted to experience him stalking me throughout the level. Though I forgot to down the other boss ghosts so I had him, Cynthia, Andrew, and Jasper there all at once which got kind of insane, but I managed. Eileen...not so much though.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

I like what Building World brings to the table in terms of plot and design; it shows us that Henry isn't the only one pulled into this world via a hole, some various details about more of Walter's victims and Walter himself (particularly in the pet store) and all around the Building World just gave me this very intense feeling of claustrophobia and unease. I really don't enjoy running around in it, though, especially with Eileen, and in such cramped quarters the ghosts really become a problem. It's frustrating to play through but a rewarding experience once you're done with it.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
ss4gogeta0
Just Passing Through

Post by ss4gogeta0 »

i loved it... with a passion. especially since the gum heads kept stealing my weps... made me feel proud of the developers for coding in some proper enemy a.i.
"Must one Born from Adam, Return to Adam?" - Kaowru Nagisa
"Come Adam's Dark Shadow, Searvent of the Lillim"- Kaowru Nagisa
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

The Building World was my initial favorite because it more heavily resembeled the level design of the first three games than the previous levels to me. Building World 2nd Time sucked very much though.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Building World isn't my favorite or anything, it's probably one of the weaker levels in the game, but it's far from bad. I thought it was fine. It fit the game and had a few interesting things in it.