Travis and the Great Cleaver.

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Travis and the Great Cleaver.

Post by Sake »

As most of you already know, Travis is able to wield a Great Cleaver weapon, similar to how James was able to wield a Great Knife in SH2. I recently picked up SH0 again after a couple months and decided to do a Great Cleaver only run just for the fun of it. To my dismay, Travis seems to be some sort of superhuman that overpowers the Butcher and can use the Great Cleaver without dragging it around. I was expecting him to drag it around like James in SH2, but when I saw that you can swing it around like a Katana, I was pretty bummed.

So what are your thoughts on this weapon? Are you glad that you're not inconvenienced in any way by this weapon, or would you rather see Travis use it realistically?
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I was happy it was handled like a katana. I don't believe an extra weapon should make the game more difficult (which him dragging it around, and a short delay before actually hitting the creature would do so.)
I once was lost, but am now profound.
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

I have to agree with Nillin, not to mention that the Great Cleaver is neither very long nor thick for Travis so it's probably not too terribly heavy.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Travis can kill with a toaster. You think wielding a Great Cleaver is going to post any great difficulty for him?
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

Nillin - Well you can unlock two other Melee weapons that are almost as easy to use as the Great Cleaver, so why not add a bit of realism and make Travis strain when swinging it? Maybe he could even get tired faster when running with it. Just seems strange to me that it's as easy to use as any other weapon and has no downside at all. Not that it's a bad thing that one of the heaviest weapons in the game is so easy to use, but I would have liked the challenge of only using the Great Cleaver in a play through.

Lostkitsune - It's just as big as the Butcher's, isn't it? I'm not saying it's as heavy as the Great Knife or anything, but it looks moderately heavy to me and a retexture of the Katana doesn't really do the weapon justice.

Oddish - He can't kill an enemy with just the Toaster when they're at no damage. He's not Chuck Norris.
VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

Travis is a corn-fed, hillbilly trucker (who is probably hopped up on methamphetamine). He could kick your pansy ass with anything.
nobody is anybody
Lostkitsune

Post by Lostkitsune »

Sake wrote:
Lostkitsune - It's just as big as the Butcher's, isn't it? I'm not saying it's as heavy as the Great Knife or anything, but it looks moderately heavy to me and a retexture of the Katana doesn't really do the weapon justice.
Unless I am mistaken I remember the actual Butcher's Knife being slightly larger/longer when used by the Butcher, or hey, maybe Travis is STRONGER than the Butcher I mean he was a fairly weak enemy I think....
AnastasisXD
Hope House Careworker

Post by AnastasisXD »

butcher is just like a normal monster. he has no such powers like pyramid head. i mean, butcher can die...
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

What powers are you talking about? The way I see it, the only reason Pyramid Head didn't die when James was shooting him was because James was just shooting him in the head instead of the body.

Of course The Butcher can die eventually, but he can take a considerable amount of damage before dying.
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

James fired the shotgun at chest level, which probably put the shot pellets from throat to waist. Pyramid Head didn't die because he was unkillable, save by his own hand.

In hindsight, I agree that the Great Cleaver should have been a bit more unwieldy. It could at least have been like a tire iron or sledgehammer, requiring James to take full two-handed swings with it. Instead, he wielded it as easily as a regular-size cleaver.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14918&start=0]See the SH2 Endings that WEREN'T chosen[/url]
gothpirate1776
Just Passing Through

Post by gothpirate1776 »

VIVIsect wrote:Travis is a corn-fed, hillbilly trucker (who is probably hopped up on methamphetamine). He could kick your pansy ass with anything.

:twisted: AMEN. :twisted:
"I am the monster in the mirror" - said by yours truly.
woofy

Post by woofy »

VIVIsect wrote:Travis is a corn-fed, hillbilly trucker (who is probably hopped up on methamphetamine). He could kick your pansy ass with anything.
...including a cat > (click here) http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=15
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

There is nothing that suggests that Travis is a hillbilly or on drugs, saying that is quite ridiculous.

Also, the fact that Travis can use almost anything as a weapon is not because he himself has the ability to do so, but because the game lets him. If any other protagonist was in his place, they'd be able to use those weapons the same way. Prove me wrong.
woofy

Post by woofy »

^ I'm pretty sure its a joke, dude. I like Travis and Im sure hes not on drugs... relax lol.
But if you want to know the real reason he can wield such a weapon - it's because
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Its just a game!
If you want me to give you answer to make you feel better -
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
It's probably a physical manifestation of his own mind, and therefore he can will it to kill creatures
Pick one.
Last edited by woofy on 01 Apr 2009, edited 1 time in total.
crucifix
Historical Society Historian

Post by crucifix »

THIS IS A SERIOUS BUSINESS ZONE
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
woofy

Post by woofy »

Sake wrote:What powers are you talking about?

The power to kick yo ass
Sake wrote: The way I see it, the only reason Pyramid Head didn't die when James was shooting him was because James was just shooting him in the head instead of the body.
Besides the obvious fact that James is a lousy shot, Pyramid head can only be hurt once James realizes what he is and the fact that he doesn't need him anymore.
Crucifix wrote:THIS IS A SERIOUS BUSINESS ZONE
You left out a few exclamation points at the end of that sentence, therefore, I cannot take that statement seriously. :P
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

woofy1988 wrote:Besides the obvious fact that James is a lousy shot, Pyramid head can only be hurt once James realizes what he is and the fact that he doesn't need him anymore.
That doesn't explain the metal "clang" sound. The only explanation for that is that James isn't using his noggin in the fight against Pyramid Head.
FatalFrame
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FatalFrame »

Maybe Travis has massive pecs that allow him to swing the Great Cleaver with ease. Maybe we need a shot of him with his shirt off, hmmm.
Last edited by FatalFrame on 02 Apr 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Are you ready to begin your trip to the Otherside
Death is an old friend of mine
Oddish
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Oddish »

Travis can kill with a toaster, a table lamp, a screwdriver, or a recycling bin. Or his bare fists. Travis is Lord High Butt-kicker, the love child of Chuck Norris and Mystique (which is why he can alter his clothing at will). All of Silent Hill, be afraid. Be very afraid.
Sake
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Sake »

Oddish wrote:Travis can kill with a toaster, a table lamp, a screwdriver, or a recycling bin. Or his bare fists. Travis is Lord High Butt-kicker, the love child of Chuck Norris and Mystique (which is why he can alter his clothing at will). All of Silent Hill, be afraid. Be very afraid.
Travis is just lucky that he was chosen as the protagonist for SH0. Any other protagonist would have been able to use the same weapons and everything.