The Bad Ending...confused

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

"White Claudia" is getting to be my most hated Silent Hill-related phrase.

A hallucinogenic designer drug is not likely to turn someone into a focused, controllable killer.
From_Hell
Just Passing Through

Post by From_Hell »

I certainly didn't claim it was a good idea or true to the 'canon' of previous games. I merely offered it as an idea as to what exactly was going on in the vague Bad End.
And while I'm no expert on drugs, I do believe LSD and many hallucinogenics have a large range of potential uses beyond simple recreation.

Also isn't PTV illegal? That would make it not a designer drug I think.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

PTV is, but other derivatives of White Claudia may not be.
chia2141
Just Passing Through

Post by chia2141 »

mine is .. see the guy in the beggining of the game who wears the cults uniform and made travis stop his truck? and the guy who's staring at him at the ending of the bad ending is the same.

heres my theory.

when the guy made travis stop his truck and check at him, mist fills the place and he sees alessa giving him a warning that theres something bad thats gonna happen and the mist that he thought is not mist but a drug (the drug that made him sleep before the final boss fight, white claudia) and he suddenly fell unconcious and dreamed that he's following alessa but the real thing is he is being held in sanitarium and being drugged and because of the drugs he thinks that the people in the town are monsters so he killed every one, when he gains his conciousness he remembered the things that he did but the cult member will inject drugs again so he will lose it again.

remember on how you acquire the bad ending, you have to kill as many monsters you can in able to get it so i think that the monsters that he killed are real people and his conscience made him fight the drugs and realizes all that he did and he sees the bad ending.

look at this also ...
overachiever547 wrote:
The whole game was just a delusion in Travis' head (an allusion to the Bad + Ending of SH1), a vision brought on by an injection of drugs while lying tied down in the Sanitarium. He'd been a patient ever since he was a child, and his entire life was just an aspect of his imagination and/or dreams. He was put into the Sanitarium after killing a few people at the motel the moments after his 10 hours staring at his father's body (thus the voiceover murders in the Bad Ending/the "Death By..." photos found around the motel). For all we know, he hasn't been off that bed since he was a child (which explains the straightjacket monster). All of this was done because of Travis' violent alter-ego, The Butcher. Because in his delusion he "killed" his alter-ego, he thus freed himself from his multiple personality disorder and is able to freak out when he wakes up in his bed again (think the movie "Identity").

This is mostly strongly evidenced by the voiceover flashbacks in the Bad Ending.

Let us examine two in detail.

Momma voice: "What are you talking about?! I'm not your Momma! Please! NOooo!!" [butcher knife gutting someone sound]

Could this be Travis entering the female seclusion ward in Cedar Grove Sanitarium, thinking that he was confronting his mother's monster and killing her, when in fact he was murdering some other woman?

Another:

"Sir, motel's closed this season...wait. AGhhh!" [butcher knife gutting someone sound]

Could Travis have approached the closed down motel, murdered all those perhaps working there, and then proceeded to confront his inner demons in the hotel room where it all began?
All under the ruse that the "people" were "monsters"?

I think it's highly likely. Soon after the bloodbath, Travis was apprehended and strapped to a table in the Sanitarium, which is where our Bad Ending begins.

how bout that guys?..
There's a silent hill in every one of us
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

^^
Interesting.
But I don't agree with it at all.
I just, don't agree that the people were monsters at all. That's the only part that threw me off. And I'm pretty sure it was a lady at the beginning, but that just leads to another unsolved topic. LMAO. But I think it's a pretty interesting theory.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

heres my theory.

when the guy made travis stop his truck and check at him, mist fills the place and he sees alessa giving him a warning that theres something bad thats gonna happen and the mist that he thought is not mist but a drug (the drug that made him sleep before the final boss fight, white claudia) and he suddenly fell unconcious and dreamed that he's following alessa but the real thing is he is being held in sanitarium and being drugged and because of the drugs he thinks that the people in the town are monsters so he killed every one, when he gains his conciousness he remembered the things that he did but the cult member will inject drugs again so he will lose it again.
I'm sorry, but that's AMAZINGLY silly, if not outright stupid, for a number of reasons.

One, White Claudia pretty much doesn't work like that. Two, the monsters aren't people; made obvious by their behavior and whatnot. Three, Kauffman and Dahlia wouldn't be giving a damn about Travis if he were really locked up somewhere. Infact, it would mean that he couldn't do anything and therefore Cheryl can't exist. And Four, why the hell would the Order gas, lockup, and trick some random trucker into killing random people? They have no motive to do so.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Dante
Just Passing Through

Post by Dante »

Sooo.... How can this ending be understood ?

- Travis killed real people on Silent Hill because that´s where it took place his trauma,and getting back there it cracked his mind and lost sight of reality,killing anyone to unload his wrath on his dramatic past (all of those monsters),then the story of Alessa and The Cult could be perfectly real.

Then he was captured by the police and locked up in the Sanitarium.
Why he sees himself as The Butcher ? Well, I think that it´s a reminder from reality/his sanity of his gruesome serial killing;or his long time-repressed anger.

- Another one could be that Travis as a child,shocked about his father´s suicide murdered the people of the photos,and then was locked up in the Sanitarium for all his life.

Then,the story about God´s resurrection with Alessa would be nothing but a bad dream.:shock:

And to think about it,this view of the ending sucks... It was only a dream. xD xD
And it´s non canonical to the SH events.
[img]http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/811/renadelusions.jpg[/img]
chia2141
Just Passing Through

Post by chia2141 »

AuraTwilight wrote:
heres my theory.

I'm sorry, but that's AMAZINGLY silly, if not outright stupid, for a number of reasons.

One, White Claudia pretty much doesn't work like that. Two, the monsters aren't people; made obvious by their behavior and whatnot. Three, Kauffman and Dahlia wouldn't be giving a damn about Travis if he were really locked up somewhere. Infact, it would mean that he couldn't do anything and therefore Cheryl can't exist. And Four, why the hell would the Order gas, lockup, and trick some random trucker into killing random people? They have no motive to do so.
yeah maybe you're pointing at the good ending dude.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

Or being that Alessa can project her mind to do cetain things. Perhaps being that Travis has something in common with Alessa, perhaps he also has similar mental abilities as well. So in fact he could have done all the things he does in the game, by mental projection similar to Alessa.

I dunno just a theory, it's more than likel incorrect but ya never know.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

less a theory than a hypothesis. If you have to just give Travis powers that are never mentioned in the game, the theory probably sucks.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
GrievousGarland

Post by GrievousGarland »

can't both the good and bad endings work? Travis was a serial killer before he entered silent hill, so the butcher was the manifestation of that repressed side of him. He still saves Alessa, but later discovers he's the butcher.
Killerturtle99
Just Passing Through

Post by Killerturtle99 »

I am not sure if this is correct, but at the end of the Bad Ending it looks as if a cloaked figure is watching Travis and then turns away. Could this be a member of the Cult, leading to the theory that he was captured?
No one will get hurt as long as I can play Silent Hill games.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

can't both the good and bad endings work? Travis was a serial killer before he entered silent hill, so the butcher was the manifestation of that repressed side of him. He still saves Alessa, but later discovers he's the butcher.
Except Travis never killed anyone. Like, ever.
I am not sure if this is correct, but at the end of the Bad Ending it looks as if a cloaked figure is watching Travis and then turns away. Could this be a member of the Cult, leading to the theory that he was captured?
The figure looks more like the Butcher or something to me. The Order doesn't keep prisoners, they just kill you.
GrievousGarland

Aura, but doesn't the game imply that he's killed people? In the bad ending you hear the voices of two people getting murdered. One that the killer mistakenly calls "mama." Who else would have done that, and if it wasn't Travis... then why would the game show it to us?

Plus... this is just loosely connected and something that I noticed... but in the opening you see a bunch of Polaroid pictures in Travis's truck, which are very similar to the ones you find of murder victims in the hotel. Maybe Travis takes a picture of the people he kills?

...and the the butcher accolade says something along the lines of "you've helped Travis discover a terrible truth." What else could be indicated by that?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Aura, but doesn't the game imply that he's killed people? In the bad ending you hear the voices of two people getting murdered. One that the killer mistakenly calls "mama." Who else would have done that, and if it wasn't Travis... then why would the game show it to us?
For one thing, the Bad end is non-canonical, so it's really kind of moot. But I personally interpret that not that Travis HAS killed people, but in this ending wherein the Butcher is dominant, he WILL kill people, or atleast wants to.
Plus... this is just loosely connected and something that I noticed... but in the opening you see a bunch of Polaroid pictures in Travis's truck, which are very similar to the ones you find of murder victims in the hotel. Maybe Travis takes a picture of the people he kills?
No, those are pretty much just for puzzles and symbolism. Unless Travis broke his father's heart deliberately or one of his killing methods involves sicking snakes on people.
...and the the butcher accolade says something along the lines of "you've helped Travis discover a terrible truth." What else could be indicated by that?
That he's filled with rage over what his parents did to him and that this loathing is directed both inward and at other people, perhaps out of the despair created by his self-conception of being the one who destroyed his family, purposefully or not.

Remember the notes in the game. The abused tend to have their minds split into the side that wants mother's love, and the side that becomes the abuser themselves. Obviously, Travis and the Butcher. It's not that Travis has killed in the past, it's that if he lets the Butcher consume him, he'll become a killer.

So the two endings are basically which side wins control in the end.
chia2141
Just Passing Through

Post by chia2141 »

Killerturtle99 wrote:I am not sure if this is correct, but at the end of the Bad Ending it looks as if a cloaked figure is watching Travis and then turns away. Could this be a member of the Cult, leading to the theory that he was captured?
i think thats true, the same cloaked figure who made travis stop his truck at the beggining of the game.
GrievousGarland

I gotta admit, that does make sense. :?

The only thing that I don't think makes perfect sense is the explanation of the "terrible truth." Discovering you hold hatred and rage for something isn't that terrible. All humans do that to an extent. The idea of him unconsciously being a serial killer is something I find truly terrible.

but I suppose it's open to interpretation.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The only thing that I don't think makes perfect sense is the explanation of the "terrible truth." Discovering you hold hatred and rage for something isn't that terrible. All humans do that to an extent. The idea of him unconsciously being a serial killer is something I find truly terrible.
But nothing EVER implies he ever hurt anyone. It's a complete asspull. Travis' entire story is how his family was destroyed over his very existence. A part of his mind broke off and hates himself, and he became two people: Travis, the overly-kind, near perfect trucker that denies any darkness within himself, and the Butcher, the inhuman, hateful monster that hates himself and the world around him. The terrible truth isn't that he has killed someone, but that he can, and has the emotional capacity and desire to do so, just like any other human.

Travis is basically demonizing his natural emotions and overblowing them into something monstrous.
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

Here's what I think:
In the bad ending, Travis is being forced to remember of what he had done, and he refuses to believe in it, so, I'm guessing the guy standing outside is Pyramid Head, although there's not much proof, and his fate is similar to that of Alex's SHH's Bogeyman ending, where maybe one of the 2 Pyramid Head may be Travis.
nobody
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by nobody »

Since the bad ending is not canon-> Travis is the trucker in the beginning of the game, not a pyramid head.
there's comfort in silence