Voice Actors

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Loveless_Dogg
Historical Society Historian

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

lain of the wired wrote:Uh-huh. That a fact? He sent it to you, did he?

Let's do keep in mind that there are at least two voice actors out there named Michael Gough. One is older, did the voice of Gopher; the other has the middle initial "P." Run a google search. They both have websites under their own names.
Michael Patrick Gough. When it comes to Michael G he's totally unknown, Guy Cihi was a near-total unknown as well, but he's communicated with fans a few times. We all know the story about when his daughter auditioned for Laura, and he tried out for James on a whim and ended up getting the part. Michael G could similarly be an "off the street" case, hence the lack of details on him. Everything known about Guy Cihi was volunteered by himself.

Michael Gough is an 95 year old man that played Alfred in Batman. I highly doubt that he did Harry Mason. I'm calling the other one by just his first and last name because this guy's either dead or he's almost.

So what are you getting at?
Krysta wrote:
Loveless_Dogg wrote:I can imagine Kaufman being voiced by Patrick Swayze
taking current state of events under consideration, I can't
Yeah and?...He's getting better and besides he can still talk.
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

I'm confused- considering that I supported what you said, I don't understand why you have such a hostile tone.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Silent Carnage
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Carnage »

lain of the wired wrote:
I'm confused- considering that I supported what you said, I don't understand why you have such a hostile tone.
Tone?
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

Silent Carnage wrote:
lain of the wired wrote:
Tone?
^_^; yeah that's what I'm saying....

Worry not sweets, I mean you no rash "tone". I'm simply adding a bit more to what was said......looking back though, I did say on another topic that I have to work on my message speak. :D
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

Well if wikipedia is to be believed some dude called Micheal Shanks is voicing Harry. Why so much hate for the original actors, I loved Harry's voice, it'll just be weird if it's not the mysterious Micheal G's voiced coming out of Harrys mouth, just like Origins (although you didn't see his mouth it was still weird)
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Why so much hate for the original actors
Because some people hate things that suck?
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

I know it sucks, thats part the charm. Just like ReMake, i wasn't as fond of that (even though it's awesome) as the original cos of the acting. I also thought Harry was portrayed great, bored and wants to get shit done, like a real action dad.
Last edited by Kairu on 14 May 2009, edited 1 time in total.
alone in the town

Which is exactly why it doesn't fit in a game like Silent Hill. Harry isn't supposed to be action dad. He's supposed to be an average moke in an extraordinary situation. He doesn't act like one at all.
lain of the wired

I also thought Harry was portrayed great, bored and wants to get shit done, like a real action dad.
  1. Bored+horror situation≠ appropriate affect
  2. Appropriate affect= good voice acting
  3. Good game- good voice acting= not so good game
I made a proof. :)
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

Okay, what ment by action dad was someone your daughter look to, couldn't think of abetter word. Also name me on Japanese game with good voice overs that isn't obscure, and in English, no Silent Hill has had good voice acting ever, including homecoming where that has the best acting in the series. SH1 just stands out because they were on budget, no affordable talent, but I still like the way the actors sound, given a better translated and edited script I think it would been great, as it stands, it just purely adds to it's many charms imo
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

Also name me on Japanese game with good voice overs that isn't obscure
Metal Gear Solid? Final Fantasy? Lost Odyssey? Xenosaga: Episode I? The Last Remnant?
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

Kairu wrote:I also thought Harry was portrayed great, bored and wants to get shit done, like a real action dad.
He felt more like Action Figure Dad repeats the same series of prerecorded quotes and phrases and the like. :p ..But I know what you mean.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

Metal Gear does not have solid (excuss the pun) voice acting, it's got the talant, just not been edited very well and bad translations which makes the dialouge seem awkard, especially 2 and 4. I however will prove self wrong mentioning FFXII, bad plot (second half) but top notch translation and great voice overs (except Vaan and Penelo.
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

Kairu wrote:Metal Gear does not have solid (excuss the pun) voice acting, it's got the talant, just not been edited very well and bad translations which makes the dialouge seem awkard, especially 2 and 4. I however will prove self wrong mentioning FFXII, bad plot (second half) but top notch translation and great voice overs (except Vaan and Penelo.
I'm starting to think that you don't really know what the hell you're talking about. Oh, and you need an introduction to Spell-Check.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
alone in the town

Kairu wrote:Metal Gear does not have solid (excuss the pun) voice acting, it's got the talant, just not been edited very well and bad translations which makes the dialouge seem awkard, especially 2 and 4.
That's also a part of the problem. The script for Silent Hill does have its issues. But the vocal talent is poor overall, and even the parts that are well-written tend to be botched because the actors don't utilize emotion or inflection. Metal Gear does have its scripting issues, but I can't fault the talent. Save for some (LIQUID SNAKE) being melo-drama queens, the actors usually do a very respectable job. Considering that Metal Gear Solid came before Silent Hill, Silent Hill's poor effort can't be blamed on age. I think it was simply a matter that Konami didn't care to pay for top-notch talent.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

<I'm starting to think that you don't really know what the hell you're talking about. Oh, and you need an introduction to Spell-Check.>

I'm on PS3, what do you expect, Leo Tolstoy? I never said I had a problem with the actors, their all mostly talanted (Phil La Marr is amazing). I was talking about dodgy writing and translations, which plauges the Silent Hill series.

<Save for some (LIQUID SNAKE) being melo-drama queens>

Leave Cam Clark alone, one of my favorite voice actors ever, he brings magic and awesome where ever he brings his voice.

<I think it was simply a matter that Konami didn't care to pay for top-notch talent.>

I addressed that in a previous post and completely agree, just voicing my opinion that if it was done with talanted actors it would lose it's charm for me like ReMake.
alone in the town

If Silent Hill were conceived and executed entirely by three-year old children, I'd find the voice acting charming. Like, when they scribble a formless blob of random color on a sheet of paper and say it's a tree. That's charming.

If an adult, especially an adult who considers himself a professional artist, presents me with the same result, it's not charming. It's shit.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

Well I like it even though I know it's terrible, but Silent Hill has far better acting than the original RE, at least with Silent hill this could never happen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRuiiaDm4Vg
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

EVERYTHING has better acting than the original RE. Even anime dubs from the mid '90s had better acting.
--
lain of the wired

Well I like it even though I know it's terrible,
So, you'll take your bowl of shit, minus the sprinkles, even when you could have ice-cream. Got it.