My Silent Hill 1 review

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

snakesonaplane
Just Passing Through

My Silent Hill 1 review

Post by snakesonaplane »

So I finally maned up and bought Silent Hill for the PlayStation. It was a cool $39.99 + tax. I popped it into my PlayStation and played away.

OK like here are my complaints:

1.) Graphics- HOW BAD! Resident Evil 3 looked better and it used like 2x less polygons then Silent Hill. Was it snowing or was foggy? IDK because everything was triangles! Come on Konami! Silent Hill 2 was a MASTERPIECE of graphics portions! Could you not use up like 25% of the PlayStations power? This looked like some N64 game.

2.) Characters- SO UN RELATABLE! I mean I could TOTALLY relate to Heather from Silent Hill 3 because I lost my Dad in Mall once and had to go looking for him. But COME ON like some sexy blonde cop would help some guy out? And don't get me started about Harry! I mean COME ON! The guy was like doing everything wrong! The cop lady actually has combat training and a gun! All Hary has is like some pipe.

3.) Story- This was ok but like for real here what is the probability that Harry would not know that Silent Hill is no more? I mean COME ON! I know 24/7 thanks to Disney txt messaging that Disney World is not open. I mean if Silent Hill is really such a popular place among the teen crowd I THINK the radio would have told Harry this. And don't tell honey that Cybil and Harry did not have something going on. The tension at the end of the game was so powerful that it threw me out of my gaming chair. And that honey's is like impossible to do because of gravity.

4.) Sound- The music was revolutionary to the core! But I would have liked to see some techno dance pop music playing at time. This would have lighten the mood greatly! Some of the music like for the town center was just amazing! I have it for my ringtone for my BFF! The school's music was touching it made me cry to know that the innocence was there.

5.) Controls- Just awful

6.) Overall opinion: We are born innocent. But Silent Hill just kinda takes it away and puts in some cookie jar honey. I wish there was to open this jar but like come on! This would make Silent Hill the BEST GAME EVER on the PlayStation. I would not compare it to the greatest Silent Hill game Silent Hill Origins. but this is like by far A LOT BETTER THEN Clock Tower and Gran Turismo combined!

Over all score: 6/10.

Hopefully the remake for the PSP will be better.
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

What did you expect from the graphics? Every PS1 game's graphics were pretty bad and pixelated. And SH2 was a PS2 game, which all had decent graphics so there's not really comparison there. And regarding the rest of your "review" I have no idea what you're talking about most of the time. And I hope you were kidding about the pop techno music.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

I agree with LanceS133. The controls are pretty bad (I'm trying to replay the game myself) but you have to remember when the game came out it was pretty cutting edge graphics. You can't really compare a PS2 game to a PS1 game it's like comparing the movies special effects from today with those in the 90's. As for the rest of your review were you being facetious? If not why do you think techno music would be a good fit anywhere in the game? Also the real Silent Hill isn't "closed" or abandoned so there's no way Harry think anything was wrong with the place the Silent Hill he and Cybil visited was on a different plane of existence and was manipulated by Alessa.
My Websites!
Image Image Image
snakesonaplane
Just Passing Through

Post by snakesonaplane »

Thank God you know who Alessa is. Also the 90's had some AMAZING special effects. Please look at Terminator 2 and Independence Day hell even Titanic does good.

Also Come on you guys! Grand Turismo for the PS had AMAZING graphics. Also look at Final Fantasy 9! Silent Hill could do better! Like I said Resident Evil did.
Please view my Silent Hill 2 AMV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSh0RdDCLQ4

Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

snakesonaplane wrote:Thank God you know who Alessa is.
Huh? I'm sure everyone here knows who she is.
snakesonaplane wrote: Also the 90's had some AMAZING special effects. Please look at Terminator 2 and Independence Day hell even Titanic does good.

Also Come on you guys! Grand Turismo for the PS had AMAZING graphics. Also look at Final Fantasy 9! Silent Hill could do better! Like I said Resident Evil did.
Yes but compared to what we can do now the effects don't look quite as awesome as they once did. I still remember when The Matrix blew everyone's minds! Now those effects are old hat! I agree that when compare to Final fastasy 9/ Resident Evil Silent Hill has subpar graphics but don't forget Final Fantasy 9 / Resident Evil had a much bigger staff working on them then Silent Hill. I still think it was a pretty good looking game for the time.
My Websites!
Image Image Image
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

. . . is this supposed to be a joke?
snakesonaplane
Just Passing Through

Post by snakesonaplane »

Why is it a joke just cuz you do not agree with it.
Please view my Silent Hill 2 AMV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSh0RdDCLQ4

Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: My Silent Hill 1 review

Post by Travis »

Review? Your topic should be called "complaint list". :P
Anyway, you should give this game a break. It's just old. Even for a PS1 game. FF9 and RE3's graphics are 2D if you haven't noticed... My opinion anyway, is that it's not the graphics or controls that make a good game but the atmosphere and story. Also SH1's music was by far the scariest of all SH games 'till today. Cut it some slack and you'll love it!

Also,
snakesonaplane wrote:I would not compare it to the greatest Silent Hill game Silent Hill Origins. but this is like by far A LOT BETTER THEN Clock Tower and Gran Turismo combined!
how the hell can you combine CT and GT?!!! :P :P :P
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Great....... another horrible comparison to Resident Evil!:x
They are not on our level! Fuck Resident Evil!!! I personally thought the graphics for the original Silent Hill game is alright. It's expected. So that doesn't make sense to complain about. Kinda same with controls. I don't know what is so complicated about the controls on this game for like everybody. Maybe people are just really not used to playstation controls at all.

And I didn't think the characters were that unrelatable. Harry is a father, so I can't relate to him. Dahlia is a psycho mother, so I can't relate to her. Cybil is a cop, so I can't relate to her and Cheryl is a little girl, so I really can't relate to her. And the other characters aren't relatable at all. But I wouldn't say that being able to relate to a character makes a game good or not. Tons of people love Mortal Kombat and how can some really compare to them? Lol! For me, I don't need to relate to the characters that much, and the story has to just carry off for me.

I thought the story was good and the music was awesome. Silent Hill the original is actually my last favorite game, coming before Silent Hill 3, but it's still a really kick ass game. It created it all for us! So I totally respect the game.:mrgreen:
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

i think i love you.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
snakesonaplane
Just Passing Through

Re: My Silent Hill 1 review

Post by snakesonaplane »

Travis wrote:Review? Your topic should be called "complaint list". :P
Anyway, you should give this game a break. It's just old. Even for a PS1 game. FF9 and RE3's graphics are 2D if you haven't noticed... My opinion anyway, is that it's not the graphics or controls that make a good game but the atmosphere and story. Also SH1's music was by far the scariest of all SH games 'till today. Cut it some slack and you'll love it!

Also,
snakesonaplane wrote:I would not compare it to the greatest Silent Hill game Silent Hill Origins. but this is like by far A LOT BETTER THEN Clock Tower and Gran Turismo combined!
how the hell can you combine CT and GT?!!! :P :P :P
omg travis! how did you GET that account name? :shock:
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

snakesonaplane wrote:Why is it a joke just cuz you do not agree with it.
It's not that I disagree with you as much as it is the absurdities that lead you to a different conclusion than the one I have.
GrievousGarland

Post by GrievousGarland »

*eye twitch*

What the hell are you talking about?

My review of your review

1. The graphics are fine for the time it was created in and to this day I still don't mind them. I enjoy this games art style immensely despite how archaic it is by today's standards.

2. You don't relate to the characters? Well, you might not be looking into them enough. All the characters in this game are complex to a certain degree. You just have to look elsewhere for a more in depth look. (Check out the lost memories translations)

3. The controls are tolerable. Team Silent included 3d controls in SH2 and 3 for a reason. Some people are better accustomed to them. I don't mind them at all.

4. You aren't making any sense in the story department. I'd need the rosetta stone to understand some of the things that are coming out of your mouth dear.

5. You want "techno dance pop" in your silent hill? What do you think this is, Dance Dance Revolution? You aren't supposed to be lightening the mood! If you want that, mute the game and play some Lady Gaga with your candy pink boom box that I'm sure you have somewhere.

6. Once again I'd need a rosetta stone to comprehend this.

and the way you use the words "like" and "honey" make you sound like a superficial blond girl or a very flamboyant gay man, just so you know. That isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't make you seem very intelligent on here.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

You say "Silent Hill isn't very popular among the teen crowd." Um...Cheryl isn't a teenager, for one, and two, what's a fun place to hang out with to a teen won't be the same for A WRITER AND HIS LITTLE GIRL.

If you're expecting the graphics from ten years ago to be like the graphics from THIS year, than you really need a reality check. Even then, the environment graphics are better than some today.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>. . . is this supposed to be a joke?
Not as much as he, no.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
LaraeGunn
Subway Guard

Post by LaraeGunn »

What is it with people expecting things to be made according to their tastes alone and no one else can have an opinion?

Some children never grow out of that "mine" phase, I suppose.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

robbie-kun wrote:What is it with people expecting things to be made according to their tastes alone and no one else can have an opinion?

Normally I'm on this side of things, but his "techno music" idea would completely destroy the atmosphere. What's more, his expression of his opinions were hard to understand.
GrievousGarland

Video Gamer wrote:
robbie-kun wrote:What is it with people expecting things to be made according to their tastes alone and no one else can have an opinion?

Normally I'm on this side of things, but his "techno music" idea would completely destroy the atmosphere. What's more, his expression of his opinions were hard to understand.
Yes, ugh...just reading it was painful.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

1.) Graphics- HOW BAD! Resident Evil 3 looked better and it used like 2x less polygons then Silent Hill. Was it snowing or was foggy? IDK because everything was triangles! Come on Konami! Silent Hill 2 was a MASTERPIECE of graphics portions! Could you not use up like 25% of the PlayStations power? This looked like some N64 game.
All PS1 games look that bad. Comparing it to PS2 games is pretty fucking stupid.
2.) Characters- SO UN RELATABLE! I mean I could TOTALLY relate to Heather from Silent Hill 3 because I lost my Dad in Mall once and had to go looking for him. But COME ON like some sexy blonde cop would help some guy out? And don't get me started about Harry! I mean COME ON! The guy was like doing everything wrong! The cop lady actually has combat training and a gun! All Hary has is like some pipe.
Cops help people in emergency situations, that's their job. As for Harry, if you can't sympathize with a guy going through hell for their child, you shouldn't have children ever.
3.) Story- This was ok but like for real here what is the probability that Harry would not know that Silent Hill is no more? I mean COME ON! I know 24/7 thanks to Disney txt messaging that Disney World is not open. I mean if Silent Hill is really such a popular place among the teen crowd I THINK the radio would have told Harry this. And don't tell honey that Cybil and Harry did not have something going on. The tension at the end of the game was so powerful that it threw me out of my gaming chair. And that honey's is like impossible to do because of gravity.
The town isn't closed in the real world, genius.

Also, you have no musical taste, and I get the feeling you were introduced to the series through Silent Hill Origins or something and expect everything else to be just like it, even when you go backwards through the series.

Also, you're clearly a troll.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
GrievousGarland

No Aura, I don't think he's a troll. Scary but true.