My Silent Hill 1 review

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Krysta
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Krysta »

yet another marvelous thread from you. I hope, you totally put those threads in opposite forums that you intented to, having on mind what you did back in Origins section. Did you even played SH1 back in 1999? It was technicly highly advanced graphic engine for a PSX capability, because it was using full 3D enviorment instead of digitalized backgrounds like RE did and majority of games then. Remeber the lesson well
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

See, I wanted to say all these things, but I'm still convinced that this isn't even remotely serious and I don't wish to find out that the joke's on me.
LaraeGunn
Subway Guard

Post by LaraeGunn »

alone in the town wrote:See, I wanted to say all these things, but I'm still convinced that this isn't even remotely serious and I don't wish to find out that the joke's on me.
Yeah, I know. Something seems a little too easy.
I mean, I almost called him "bubby" for fuck's sake. Even my gay friends thought these posts were ridiculous.

I'm not being mean or even trying to be, this is just so silly.
Krysta

Post by Krysta »

'even'? Aint that bit insulting for your friends...

Anyway someone shuld end this farse fast
LaraeGunn
Subway Guard

Post by LaraeGunn »

Krysta wrote:'even'? Aint that bit insulting for your friends...

Anyway someone shuld end this farse fast
I agree. No worries, they insult me all the time, and I don't mind. :wink:
Loveless_Dogg

Post by Loveless_Dogg »

snakesonaplane wrote:Grand Turismo for the PS had AMAZING graphics. Also look at Final Fantasy 9! Silent Hill could do better! Like I said Resident Evil did.
Grand Turismo was a bigger game with a larger amount of money behind it. There was Licensing that sony had to deal with.

ANY Final Fantasy game on the PS1 and ANY Resident Evil Game for that matter where using pre-rendered backgrounds, with a 3D model smacked in the middle of it. Not to mention, they had bigger more established teams working on them.

Silent Hill was one of the few games at the time (if I remember correctly) that was using 3D models for everything, and still looked as good as it did.
AuraTwilight wrote:Also, you're clearly a troll.
Clearly. *snob nod*
snakesonaplane wrote:some sexy blonde cop
???!!....You mean Cybil!!? :O

LOL
Value your failures more than your successes. Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures are forever. She left...and...I'm lost.
GrievousGarland

Post by GrievousGarland »

robbie-kun wrote:
alone in the town wrote:See, I wanted to say all these things, but I'm still convinced that this isn't even remotely serious and I don't wish to find out that the joke's on me.
Yeah, I know. Something seems a little too easy.
I mean, I almost called him "bubby" for fuck's sake. Even my gay friends thought these posts were ridiculous.

I'm not being mean or even trying to be, this is just so silly.
No... the TC is being completely serious. It's evident in his grammar prose and the lack of anything coherent in his posts. It isn't possible to appear this stupid intentionally.

Plus, he actually replies to posts. Most trolls don't do that. He also has created other topics that he has replied to consistently.

Trust me guys, he isn't a joke.

and what do you mean, even? Are you trying to imply that gay guys are inherently bubbly? Huh? Huh? -_-
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

[quotte] No... the TC is being completely serious. It's evident in his grammar prose and the lack of anything coherent in his posts. It isn't possible to appear this stupid intentionally.

Plus, he actually replies to posts. Most trolls don't do that. He also has created other topics that he has replied to consistently. [/quote]

You've...never actually encountered a troll, have you?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
GrievousGarland

Post by GrievousGarland »

AuraTwilight wrote:
No... the TC is being completely serious. It's evident in his grammar prose and the lack of anything coherent in his posts. It isn't possible to appear this stupid intentionally.

Plus, he actually replies to posts. Most trolls don't do that. He also has created other topics that he has replied to consistently.
You've...never actually encountered a troll, have you?
Yes, I have... I just...I just sense this isn't one of them.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

He's slightly too articulate to be a retard. Tough call.
Travis

Post by Travis »

First of all, can someone please explain to me what a fucking troll is? I mean, apart from the popular monster from the Scandinavian mythology?

Secondly, will you give the guy a break already?

GrievousGarland wrote:*eye twitch*
That was so hilarious! Image
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
Enika
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Enika »

Travis wrote:First of all, can someone please explain to me what a fucking troll is? I mean, apart from the popular monster from the Scandinavian mythology?
"A troll, most commonly encountered on the internet, is any person who purposely causes controversy in a web community and disrupts shit for his own amusement. The term probably derives from "trolling" or "trawling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. Troll is fine as a verb since trawling/trolling for comments and flames is innate troll behavior" ~ ED
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Re: My Silent Hill 1 review

Post by AgentX7k »

snakesonaplane wrote:1.) Graphics- HOW BAD! Resident Evil 3 looked better and it used like 2x less polygons then Silent Hill. Was it snowing or was foggy? IDK because everything was triangles! Come on Konami! Silent Hill 2 was a MASTERPIECE of graphics portions! Could you not use up like 25% of the PlayStations power? This looked like some N64 game.
1) Graphics - Resident Evil 3 was Capcoms third go and re-using the RE2 engine so they had their stuff down by then, SH was Kanomi's first try. Plus I love the dated graphics, adds to the surreal dream-like landscape/atmosphere and makes it feel like an old movie with dated special effects and film quality, giving it a more gritty, historical feeling, it's part of the charm
snakesonaplane wrote:2.) Characters- SO UN RELATABLE! I mean I could TOTALLY relate to Heather from Silent Hill 3 because I lost my Dad in Mall once and had to go looking for him. But COME ON like some sexy blonde cop would help some guy out? And don't get me started about Harry! I mean COME ON! The guy was like doing everything wrong! The cop lady actually has combat training and a gun! All Hary has is like some pipe.
2) You can only relate to people going through the exact same thing as you? That sounds more like your problem than the games. Why is Cybil helping him out not help him out? He's the only person she's found, that makes them a team and each others best chance for survival. How was Harry doing anything wrong? Cybil had a gun but so did he, from the start actually.
snakesonaplane wrote: 3.) Story- This was ok but like for real here what is the probability that Harry would not know that Silent Hill is no more? I mean COME ON! I know 24/7 thanks to Disney txt messaging that Disney World is not open. I mean if Silent Hill is really such a popular place among the teen crowd I THINK the radio would have told Harry this. And don't tell honey that Cybil and Harry did not have something going on. The tension at the end of the game was so powerful that it threw me out of my gaming chair. And that honey's is like impossible to do because of gravity.
3) What in the name of Silent Hills God’s name are you talking about? Harry not knowing Silent Hill is no more? Silent Hill is there otherwise people like Travis, James wouldn’t have gone there either. Teen crowd? What? Maybe they had something going on, they’re together in one of the endings (kind of, I guess I don’t know)
snakesonaplane wrote: 4.) Sound- The music was revolutionary to the core! But I would have liked to see some techno dance pop music playing at time. This would have lighten the mood greatly! Some of the music like for the town center was just amazing! I have it for my ringtone for my BFF! The school's music was touching it made me cry to know that the innocence was there.
4) Wouldn’t fit in Silent Hill at all and why would you want to lighten the mood.
snakesonaplane wrote: 5.) Controls- Just awful.
Don’t see how Origins did it much better
"The Body Is Cold?"
Travis

Post by Travis »

Enika wrote:A troll, most commonly encountered on the internet, is any person who purposely causes controversy in a web community and disrupts shit for his own amusement. The term probably derives from "trolling" or "trawling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. Troll is fine as a verb since trawling/trolling for comments and flames is innate troll behavior" ~ ED
I see... Thanks a lot Enika. :wink:
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
ControlFreak
Subway Guard

Post by ControlFreak »

Can we get back on topic please?
Larson
Gravedigger

Post by Larson »

About the graphics.. and this is something a lot of people seem to ignore. RE-games had prerendered backgrounds, SH had fully 3D environment. Even after using the fog to make the game run smoother they had to tone down the graphics.

When taken in consideration how vast SH really is, I simply can't complain about the graphics. They chose to do a moving camera in 3D environment and they had to pay for it in graphics. It certainly is much more moody than the static RE-backgrounds with static camera positions.
Mantorok Narokath Redgormor
Silent Carnage
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Carnage »

I still found the graphics beautiful today.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

Wait what....WHAT??

This thread scares me
Scarlet

Re: My Silent Hill 1 review

Post by Scarlet »

snakesonaplane wrote:1.) Graphics- HOW BAD! Resident Evil 3 looked better and it used like 2x less polygons then Silent Hill. Was it snowing or was foggy? IDK because everything was triangles! Come on Konami! Silent Hill 2 was a MASTERPIECE of graphics portions! Could you not use up like 25% of the PlayStations power? This looked like some N64 game.
Allow me to disagree with you. When I first played SH1 I thought that the graphics were not that bad. Ok, there are squares everywhere, their hands were just horrible, but back in 99 the games weren't known for their graphic quality. Parasite Eve was also terrible back in 98.
snakesonaplane wrote: 2.) Characters- SO UN RELATABLE! I mean I could TOTALLY relate to Heather from Silent Hill 3 because I lost my Dad in Mall once and had to go looking for him. But COME ON like some sexy blonde cop would help some guy out? And don't get me started about Harry! I mean COME ON! The guy was like doing everything wrong! The cop lady actually has combat training and a gun! All Hary has is like some pipe.
You cannot always relate to characters in a game. And you can relate to Harry in several points, such as going on vacations with your daughter, the wife being dead, etc.
I don't understand why you say that he was doing everything wrong. If you pay attention, you will notice that Harry cannot shoot a gun properly at the beginning of the game. It will take him a while to get used to the gun. The pipe is actually interesting because it's something you can grab from the streets and it can serve the purpose of a weapon.
Cybil is too hot to be a cop, ok, fair enough. But think... if she is a cop, she has the obligation to help people out. Why shouldn't she help Harry? After all, he was searching for a missing person, the town was filled with weird stuff and all comms were down.
snakesonaplane wrote:3.) Story- This was ok but like for real here what is the probability that Harry would not know that Silent Hill is no more? I mean COME ON! I know 24/7 thanks to Disney txt messaging that Disney World is not open. I mean if Silent Hill is really such a popular place among the teen crowd I THINK the radio would have told Harry this. And don't tell honey that Cybil and Harry did not have something going on. The tension at the end of the game was so powerful that it threw me out of my gaming chair. And that honey's is like impossible to do because of gravity.
This doesn't make any sense... SH was popular among tees? The radio would have warned Harry that the city was deserted? Again... no sense.

snakesonaplane wrote:4.) Sound- The music was revolutionary to the core! But I would have liked to see some techno dance pop music playing at time. This would have lighten the mood greatly! Some of the music like for the town center was just amazing! I have it for my ringtone for my BFF! The school's music was touching it made me cry to know that the innocence was there.
Do you really think that this game is the type of game where you want to hear techno playing?? Lighten the mood? Why would you want that? SH was made to be scary, to cause a tension in the player, to make you scared of playing. Techno would only ruin everything.

Overall, I couldn't disagree with you more....
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

Larson wrote:When taken in consideration how vast SH really is, I simply can't complain about the graphics. They chose to do a moving camera in 3D environment and they had to pay for it in graphics. It certainly is much more moody than the static RE-backgrounds with static camera positions.
Totally agree, I'd gladly let the graphics take a hit in favor or exploration and moving camera.
"The Body Is Cold?"