"Lend me a teeny bit of your power..."

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

"Lend me a teeny bit of your power..."

Post by KiramidHead »

I have a theory regarding the flashback sequence between Alessa and Dahlia that I haven't seen brought up before.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
For starters, all we know for sure is that Dahlia wants to "borrow" Alessa's power. I think that this dialogue may refer to the moment when Dahlia realized that she could use Alessa to birth the God. Dahlia thought that she would have to wait for Alessa to reach puberty and begin her cycle in order to use her for the birth. Dahlia was impatient, and wanted to take Alessa's power and use it to birth the God herself. Then, during her argument with Alessa, Dahlia realized that the mother of the God didn't need to be sexually mature, she just needed the womb to shelter the God in.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

It probably hasn't been brought up because we all realize that along with Dahlia :wink:

Though Dahlia never wanted to give birth to the God herself. That's for what Alessa was used. "I could have done it all myself" probably refers to how Dahlia could've gone it alone with the whole ritual instead of waiting on pomp and circumstance. Note that she's really the only one who conducts the whole thing, even though others are in on it? They certainly don't help her with anything--at least, not what we're shown in SH1.

However, I find that whole conversation very wonky and fishy. I wonder if something was bungled when translated? That line, like Lisa's talk about the young people being called away, doesn't really work very well in English. How could Dahlia possibly come to that conclusion after Alessa refusing to use her power for her mother's wishes anymore? Maybe someone with knowledge of the original script can help?
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I noticed the same wonkiness on my third time around. It's like Dahlia says something, then something else that is slightly contradictory. It seems that Dahlia could be talking about different things, and it all depends upon the player's interpretation or perception.

Of course, this leaves open what exactly Dahlia needed Alessa's power for. Just from the in game events, it must have been something big, her own power is not to be underestimated. She can weave summoning spells, foresee future events, and cause heart attacks. It must have been something that required greater power than her own. Ah, the ambiguity.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I thought it was pretty obvious that she wanted Alessa to kill someone else with her telekinesis, like the mayor and such. Alessa, being a kind girl, doesn't want to, wrestles free from Dahlia. Maybe she minorly pushed Dahlia away telekinetically or released some sort of psychic wave of telepathy or something like that, and Dahlia decided, "She can birth Gawd."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I always assumed that, given Officer Gucci's death by heart attack, that the murders were kind of simplistic for Dahlia to need Alessa's power. But anyhoo, the wording is so ambiguous that Dahlia could be talking about almost anything.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

AuraTwilight wrote:I thought it was pretty obvious that she wanted Alessa to kill someone else with her telekinesis, like the mayor and such. Alessa, being a kind girl, doesn't want to, wrestles free from Dahlia. Maybe she minorly pushed Dahlia away telekinetically or released some sort of psychic wave of telepathy or something like that, and Dahlia decided, "She can birth Gawd."
So I guess they couldn't show that, huh? The budget ran out around Lakeside Amusement Park with the Flauros.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>and Dahlia decided, "She can birth Gawd."
Why would Dahlia be surprised at Alessa's power then when she'd been using them to kill people?

Alessa didn't do anything in particular for Dahlia to realize Alessa's potential. Dahlia simply saw Alessa as something more than a priestess at that moment.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

That still doesn't make sense, though, given what happens during the scene and what's said. I'm not saying that it's wrong, only that there's a piss poor job of showing it.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I think Team Silent purposely used ambiguous dialogue and that transparent body thing (obscures body language) to make the basic chain of events obvious, but the actual meaning left up to the player.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

>I always assumed that, given Officer Gucci's death by heart attack
Officer Gucci is part of another SH universe, which has no relevance here. Please go to the movie forum.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

Not quite. Officer Gucci was mentioned in a note in the Police Station in Central Silent Hill.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Jonipoon wrote:>I always assumed that, given Officer Gucci's death by heart attack
Officer Gucci is part of another SH universe, which has no relevance here. Please go to the movie forum.
Gucci originates from SH1, and doesn't even die in the movie. If you're going to be a condescending asshole, get it right.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Taoy
Just Passing Through

Post by Taoy »

Dahlias life was devoted to finding a way to birth the God. Her bumbling around town, deeds such as knocking the Mayor and narcotics detective off were just part of her big plan. But she realises a huge shortcut upon having that conversation with Alessa on the stairway:

The conversation went something like,

Dahlia: "Lend me some of your power" (I.e, your telekinesis which I can use to kill off some other guy without leaving any trace of evidence. Alessa uses this power to save Harry in the Good ending.)

Alessa: "No. I just want to be with you. Please Understand."
Dahlia: (MAKE THE CHILD BE WITH GOD. USE THE CHILD AS A VESSEL)

It finally clicks.
Kind of a far fetched train of logic but that's my take on it.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I just played SH1 all the way through again, and I'm revising my position. The line, "I could have done it all myself" meant that Dahlia could have used herself, but didn't think of it until that moment, and then settled on Alessa.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'm pretty sure she meant "I could have done it all myself" insomuch that, instead of waiting for God to come down, she decided she could take things into her own hands and use Alessa to basically screw destiny.

Dahlia's uterus is way too disgusting and old to be the Mother of God, never conjure that image again (also she doesn't have special powers).
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Lol. Gyromancy isn't a special power?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No, it's not, it's witchcraft. Dahlia doesn't have innate psychic powers she was born with like her daughter, she has to break open the spellbooks and the talismans.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Yeah, after another play through I think that Dahlia just dropped out Gyromancy because she likes to sound cryptic, as she see,s very annoyed that Harry always needs to be told twice.
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I do sort of think that's the truth. She did use Gyromancy, and the point was probably brought up to assert the fact that she had to use artifacts/spells to do anything of real value, but I believe that throughout most of the game she's simply trying to mindfuck Harry. At the end of the game, after using Harry as a pawn to get at Alessa, she actually acts pretty normal. Evil as shit, but normal. I'm actually pretty sure most of her eccentric personality traits are actually just a ploy. She wants to be the crazy woman who might know something of the apocalypse, but is she really? Hmm...
I once was lost, but am now profound.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

She might just act insane to fool the people around her.