I would welcome a direct remake

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

dman
Just Passing Through

Post by dman »

All this talk of SH1 is getting me pumped! I'm gonna start a new game when I get home!! :D

I agree rm2kking - SH1 is amazing. Who needs top notch graphics when you can enjoy the game for whats most important - it's gameplay!

But having said that - I would still welcome a direct remake of the game with a next gen game engine lol!! :wink:
rm2kking
Historical Society Historian

Post by rm2kking »

Who needs graphics to have a good game? If the playability of a game depends on its graphics, I'd say that game has failed. It's kind of like many movies with great CGI suck, but many old movies with traditional puppetry and animatronics are great. Look at the original Star Wars trilogy for example, or Hellraiser, or The Dark Crystal. Those are fucking amazing movies. Yet there are people, my girlfriend included (damn her), who will NOT watch those movies because they "look fake."

Crap on that. Movies or games that depend solely on graphical capability are trash. Period. Shit, just look at the Super Nintendo and the N64!! Those are some of the best games ever made, and they are graphically pathetic by today's standards. People have no respect for classics.
Inner Eye
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Inner Eye »

Imagine a SH1 remake on the Cry Engine (The engine Crysis was made with). OMG that would be so cool.
Resident Cajun and Wolf.
dman
Just Passing Through

Post by dman »

Inner Eye wrote:Imagine a SH1 remake on the Cry Engine (The engine Crysis was made with). OMG that would be so cool.
Wow...that would be the most epic thing ever! :shock:

I wonder whether something like that has actually been considered...it would make an already awesome game completely out of this world.

Actually...maybe a little bit too scary...

:wink:
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

rm2kking wrote: Image
SMACK! Right into the lampost.

I can play SH1 with no problems and still get a shiver down my spine when the disturbing music comes on... but the monsters don't really make me feel fearful; I don't feel scared going into the next room. I want to feel that fear. A remake would do that for me.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Exactly what I'm saying. It's not that the game isn't scary, it totally is, it's just that the monsters look (I feel bad even saying this!) kinda crappy. I can appreciate them though because I know what they are supposed to look like due to the concept art, and I think in my head that harry must seem them that way too. That helps a bit.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

Harry: OMFG ROFL!! U LUK FUXIN STOOPID!
Romper: WEL U LUK DUM 2...
Harry: YEH BUT IM GETTIN AN UPGRAYD IN SH:SM. R U? PROBS NOT! LOL!
Romper: .......I H8 U. U ALWAIS BIN HORRID 2 ME.

:mrgreen:
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Haha :lol: I hate the Rompers, you can't run from them, they just mount you anyway.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

Mounting monkeytype monsters.... Secret symolism for "experimentation" Harry tried in his teen years? Kinky. :P Okay okay, that's a joke but they are freaking annoying. I found a way to confuse the one outside of the Police station, though. Just keep running around the cars. Do it three or four times until the Romper is at the other side. Quickly turn around and run away; it seems that the Rompers continue to jump around the cars. Unless my game glitched. :P

rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

If you can stay the right distance from them, or get an obstacle between you and them, they just go about their circle-hopping course. The problem is, they are usually quick enough to dash any hope of evasion.
EileenGalvin
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EileenGalvin »

Severeth wrote:
rm2kking wrote: Image
SMACK! Right into the lampost.
Seriously now, doesn't it look like a SH2 Lying Figure with ARMS?
[url=http://www.visitsilenthill.com][img]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/vshsignature.gif[/img][/url]
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Yes. And that kinda sucks because they really don't look anything like the lying figures.
Haoie
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Haoie »

Shattered Memories is quite different, apparently, in execution.

That's better if you ask me: Why play the same thing again?
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Aavri
Just Passing Through

Post by Aavri »

What if they Packages Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, with a remake of the original game and totally shock us with it? They would be able to cheat in some aspects like use Harry's SM model but could call it "updating graphics" as well as the other character's models.

It would be awsome.
Dr. Eggnog

Post by Dr. Eggnog »

I don't want a remake. The original game is just fine. More than fine, it's my second favorite game of all time after SH2. I like the retro (God, ps1 is retro now, huh) graphics and old sound and voice acting. I think Climax's re-imagining idea is perfect. In fact, it sounds like it will be more different from previous games than 1 and Origins.

A port of the original isn't a bad idea though. :D
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Oh I LOVE the idea of reimagining it, I'm just saying that SH1 with PS2 graphics would kick ass.
The reason I would like to play the same thing again is the same reason I play through the games multiple times anyway; Because it's a great game. I just think it would be fun to see the monsters as they were meant to be seen.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

^ Yeah.

I mean, so many people hold SH1 in high regards because of nostalgia, and nostalgia's cool, and I understand the graphics are part of the charm, but come on. The monsters and environments look terrible. This isn't the development team's fault, it is the platform. I would like seeing the environments and monsters the way the artists envisioned them.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Yes, just look at the concept art or renders or whatever you want to call them for SH1. The monsters look great! In-game not so much. I would love to see monsters that fill me with the same sort of loathing as the ones in SH2 through 4. That would be amazing.
lumpo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by lumpo »

I would want a remake if they made it canon where cybll lives, then remake the third game in the future where she appears instead of Douglas!:x
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Nothing in the later games says she doesn't live. Just because she is shown with harry and Cheryl II/Heather in the end does not mean she got with Harry. Women love babies, and she was playing with the baby. I say she lived if you got that ending. She lived in my ending (on my last playthrough anyway) and I've not seen anything in the later games to contradict that ending.