Why Did Dahlia Lie?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

The angel of death works for God, not Satan.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I have never heard the name Samael in pop culture, nonetheless in reference of a demon. Aside from Silent Hill.
That's your own fault. I can find loads of fiction, music, popular preconceptions, and even some local backroots sects that see Samael as a scary, evil Angel of Death.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

AuraTwilight wrote: That's your own fault. I can find loads of fiction, music, popular preconceptions, and even some local backroots sects that see Samael as a scary, evil Angel of Death.
Such as? Keep in mind, Silent Hill takes place in the 80s(or is it 70s? forgive me). I know there's a black metal band or something called Samael, but for some reason I doubt Harry's into black metal. Regarding the angel of death as evil is a bit shortsighted though, isn't it?

To MMY: Thank you for providing a talmudic source. I think I understand what you're getting at. I know that Samael was charged with tempting eve, according to some sources, but as far as I know there is no connection between Samael and the biblical rebel angel(prior to Kabbalah), outside of the noun 'satan' being used in reference to both, which is rather general.
silenthillgamer666
Just Passing Through

Post by silenthillgamer666 »

in the movie wasnt daliah a depressed woman cuz of wat happned 2 her dauhter in the movie daliahs sister christabella wuz the bad guy in the movie just like in the game :shock:
I LOVE Silent Hill!!!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Such as? Keep in mind, Silent Hill takes place in the 80s(or is it 70s? forgive me). I know there's a black metal band or something called Samael, but for some reason I doubt Harry's into black metal. Regarding the angel of death as evil is a bit shortsighted though, isn't it?
Mostly bad movies. Though getting off that subject, Samael does sound sort've menacing if you block any knowledge of the name's context out of your head, and Harry makes it apparent that he doesn't really know his stuff when it comes to mythology. Therefore scary name + Bitch telling you it's bad = "Holy shit this Samael guy must be a demon."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

AuraTwilight wrote:
Mostly bad movies. Though getting off that subject, Samael does sound sort've menacing if you block any knowledge of the name's context out of your head, and Harry makes it apparent that he doesn't really know his stuff when it comes to mythology. Therefore scary name + Bitch telling you it's bad = "Holy shit this Samael guy must be a demon."
Not to mention adding "mark of" before Samael also insinuates that he's a devil of some sort. Like mark of the beast, etc. To me it does, anyway.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

I suppose the name 'Mark of Samael' does sound a bit ominous, but so does Virun VII. However, if the average person saw a GIANT MAGICKAL SEAL covered in runes, coincidentally after the world goes pitch black and appears to be burnt and bloody, they would associate it with evil, as magick is thought of as 'demonic' in common perception.

I have not heard one reasonable excuse as to why Dahlia would label it the 'Mark of Samael' to somehow manipulate Harry to carry out her will.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

neonblack wrote:I suppose the name 'Mark of Samael' does sound a bit ominous, but so does Virun VII.
The only way Virun VII would sound ominous is if Silent Hill were infested with evil killer robots.
I have not heard one reasonable excuse as to why Dahlia would label it the 'Mark of Samael' to somehow manipulate Harry to carry out her will.
She could have probably picked any other vaguely-demonic sounding name. I don't think she chose Samael for any particular reason, because the name isn't really important. It could have been the Mark of Ophiel or Mark of Abbadon or Mark of Fran Drescher for all the difference it makes. Her deception does not really involve the Mark's name, but it's supposed effects. Note that she does not attribute Samael's name to the 'demon in child's form'. It's an association one can reasonably imply, but I think there's a distinction. The 'demon' is the main threat, according to her, and stopping the 'demon' with the Flauros is Harry's primary task.
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

alone in the town wrote:
She could have probably picked any other vaguely-demonic sounding name. I don't think she chose Samael for any particular reason, because the name isn't really important. It could have been the Mark of Ophiel or Mark of Abbadon or Mark of Fran Drescher for all the difference it makes. Her deception does not really involve the Mark's name, but it's supposed effects. Note that she does not attribute Samael's name to the 'demon in child's form'. It's an association one can reasonably imply, but I think there's a distinction. The 'demon' is the main threat, according to her, and stopping the 'demon' with the Flauros is Harry's primary task.
Thank you. Being so concerned with the use of Samael somehow obscured this deduction. I agree. Harry sees the crest before a name is put to it, and I imagine regardless of whether he heard 'Virun VII' or 'Mark of Samael' he would still assume it to be of sinister origin. I'm still of the opinion that the name she used for the crest had nothing to do with Dahlia being manipulative of Harry, as the notion of her sending Harry to stop a demon would be concerning enough. I think her use of 'Mark of Samael' was for a more personal reason, such as slandering a rival religion as has been suggested. Or it could just be retconning.
JiGoKuShOuJiN
Just Passing Through

Post by JiGoKuShOuJiN »

Well obviously Dahlia replaced the "name" Virun VII Crest of Alessa that can save her to "Mark of Samael" that Dahlia told Harry will destroy the world.... easy as that!

So Dahlia used Harry... since Harry was close to Cheryl, thinking that Alessa/Cheryl wouldnt hurt him... and that Alessa probably already had plans to stop Dahlia. Thats why he used Harry... since she knew that she didn't have plans for him...
SyphonFilter1987

Post by SyphonFilter1987 »

Obviously
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

^ I repeat: do not post pointless, one-word or one-smiley responses. Either write something meaningful or don't write anything at all.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
SyphonFilter1987

Post by SyphonFilter1987 »

Vixx wrote:^ I repeat: do not post pointless, one-word or one-smiley responses. Either write something meaningful or don't write anything at all.
I'm sorry. :oops: I just noticed your remarks now. Next time, send me a PM.