SHSM or SH1

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

SHSM or SH1

Post by Axel_98 »

ok well, I am a SH noob, ive played SH2 and SH0. Currently I started playing SH1, and to start the controls with the analog stick are annoying me, plus some of the monsters and graphics. My question is: Should I skip SH1 and wait until SHSM comes out or is SHSM a completely new version rather than a remastered version.

So what do yall think I should do? Wait til SHSM or should I stop complaining and play SH1 ?
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
11x20
Hope House Careworker

Post by 11x20 »

SHSM is completely different and not a part of the established timeline. You'll be missing a chunk of information by skipping SH1.
[url=http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=420479#420479/][img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/404errord/waltersig1.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5020211/1/Afterlife][ e x a m i n e ? ][/url] [url=http://11x20.deviantart.com/][dA][/url] [url=http://11x20.deviantart.com/gallery/#A-F-T-E-R-L-I-F-E][project page][/url]
Walter10h
Just Passing Through

Post by Walter10h »

You'll get used to them. Seriously play it! you won't be dissapointed :D
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Don't play the original... You don't deserve it...
19pack
Just Passing Through

Post by 19pack »

Playing the original PS1 Silent Hill game is surely the next recommended thing to do if I were you.

Ask yourself this: Did you enjoy the story and characters in Silent Hill 0rigins? (not the main character and any of the stuff to do with his mum, the little burnt girl cult stuff)

If so, it would be easy to see the SH plot as almost a 'sequel' to the SH0 story since you'd be playing them in that order. You have an opportunity to experience the series' time-line in a different way that many of us will never get a chance to. If anything, I'm a bit jealous as by comparison, Silent Hill would play like a really satisfying sequel to SH0!!! If you play Silent Hill 3 after that (if you have access to it) then you've got a neat little plot-trilogy going there, and the other games (SH4, SHH and soon SHSM) will just be icing on an already satisfying mythological cake.
Last edited by 19pack on 06 Aug 2009, edited 1 time in total.
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

19pack makes an excellent point. Seriously play SH1. You won't be disappointed. When SHSM comes out you'll already have a good grounding in the original story.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

KageReneko wrote:Don't play the original... You don't deserve it...
Lovely.

To Axel_98, you'll probably appreciate the original much more after you play the re~~~imagined~~~ version.

But that's just what I say; take it with a grain of salt, do what you will.
Dutchman
Gravedigger

Post by Dutchman »

I'm also playing the original for the first time and I'm really enjoying it. It has a unique atmosphere and although I knew certain details and the overall storyline, it's still intrigueing to play. I recommend it to play it through.

I agree with the rest when they say that you'll get a better understanding and attachment to the story. But like it's said before, it's not an exact remake, so things might have been altered, added or left out. So I think that you should play both (original first and SHSM later) for the full experience 8)
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn230/Ghoul68/banner_shh_4.png[/img]
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: SHSM or SH1

Post by Travis »

Axel_98 wrote:Currently I started playing SH1, and to start the controls with the analog stick are annoying me, plus some of the monsters and graphics. My question is: Should I skip SH1 and wait until SHSM comes out or is SHSM a completely new version rather than a remastered version.
As stated, Shattered memories is a whole different game. You should DEFINATELY play SH1 if you have the means to do so, just don't torture yourself by using the analog stick. :P
Have fun!
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
19pack
Just Passing Through

Post by 19pack »

I think you'll need at the very least a mandatory understanding of the basic original Silent Hill plot to 'connect all the dots' with Shattered Memories.

I suspect that as well as the big, obvious changes to the plot they have made in the re-imagining, they'll have put in a lot of plot related stuff that may not be as clear or satisfying/entertaining unless you already know the original canon.
Chris Sunderland
Historical Society Historian

Post by Chris Sunderland »

You shouldn't play it, you should send it to me, daddy needs a new copy.
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

If you can't handle playing Silent Hill, play Silent Hill 3—it was written to inform people who hadn't played the original what they needed to know.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

I say stick with it, once you get used to controlling Panzer-Harry and accept the graphical limitations of the system, I'm sure you'll love it. It's still my personal favourite of the series, and indeed one of my favourite games ever though, so perhaps I am somewhat biased.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Dr. Eggnog

Post by Dr. Eggnog »

Until you can get through the orignal game, I don't see any reason for you to be on a Silent Hill forum. I'm sorry, I understand it's an old game, but keep at it. At least it's not a really LONG game.

Also, don't use the analog sticks. At all. To me, Silent Hill and analog sticks do not go together. The tank controls are best with d-pad.

Just try to enjoy yourself.
Axel_98
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Axel_98 »

ya the analog stick is annoying i didnt know you could use the D-Pad. Ya i decided 2 keep at it right now im trying to find my way to the school while im noticing that all the streets are blocked xD

The reason I got on a SH forum is because I loved SH2 and needed answers like: "Did I really talk to Mary in the bed at the end?" and then got hook on the whole "Was Angela Raped" thread and now here we are ^.^
~The Bird of Hermes is My Name; Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame~
Dr. Eggnog

Post by Dr. Eggnog »

I think you can use the D-Pad in pretty much any ps1 game ever.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

I think Heulett has made it pretty clear than anyone should be able to pick up SHSM without prior knowledge of the franchise, whether you've played the original game or not. So I'd say that it really doesn't matter; SH1 rocks for what it did, and what it was, at the time, but it's not faultless and has some seriously crappy gameplay. So it comes down to what you value most: a clearer understanding of the SH mythos and shitty graphics/controls (SH1), or a potentially less robust explanation but delivered via a contemporary game (SM). The decision is yours!
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
JiGoKuShOuJiN
Just Passing Through

Post by JiGoKuShOuJiN »

I think you should play it...... u might miss the cutscene of what happened to Lisa..... since its the best and maybe Shattered Memories won't be able to replace it.....
True
Just Passing Through

Post by True »

You sounds like my cousin, she only hates SH1 just because of the graphics, no matter how much I tried to reason with her. PFFT.

SH1 is an awesome game D=

EDIT: I won't know which one I'd like better until SHSM comes out, but my money's on SH1. <3
Disfigurator
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Disfigurator »

This question is kind of a mockery. You should play the first game, acquire all the endings or die and forget the SH series (order of these are of no importance).

Really - WTF? 1st game is probably the most dirty, thus one of stronges SH games in terms of Urban Exploration, rust, Industrial and Otherworld. It's all-defining cannon, you know? And the atmosphere in the game is made of pure disturbance and Horror - it shouldn't be missed by anyone. As for me - I allways can not name the favorite game in the series. I'm between SH1 and 2. So, this alone speeks clearly enough.
Controls for any game (except FPS genre) is something that gamers get used to in about 1 or 2 hours. So - just crank up your SRS system, tur off the ights, prepare some Pampers and play, and enjoy, right?