We are lucky

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

AuraTwilight wrote:Pyramid Head wasn't Gans' idea.
I know that Wiki isn't the most reliable source, but:

"Gans stated that his original vision of the film's finale revolved around six Red Pyramids appearing inside the church, each carrying a different weapon, and slaughtering the cult members in reference to Dante's Inferno."
nobody is anybody
Ratiocinator
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ratiocinator »

AuraTwilight wrote:Double standard, much?
Clueless, much?

It's already been mentioned: The film was an adaptation and the game is a re-imagining. Gans based it around SH1 and changed/removed much of the lure that was in the game. Oh, and don't act like you don't have double standards and hypocritical tendencies. Everyone does.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

AuraTwilight wrote: He does have a purpose, just a subtle one. Dahlia clearly possesses the ability to summon him, and he apparently represents Alessa's lack of a father figure. Therefore, Pyramid Head is a sort of makeshift father to protect her mother.
Plus hes overbearingly masculine; "conjured from a female perspective" (not to mention vaguely phallic in shape), and his face is covered, his identity is unknown just like Alessa's father.

There was really only ridiculous gore in the last scene. The part with Anna wasn't anything we haven't seen before in Silent Hill, but normally we only see the aftermath, strung up inside a chain-link wall somewhere. This time we saw the work while it was in progress. That scene is totally not beyond the scope of PH's brutality.
dmcmaster550
Just Passing Through

Post by dmcmaster550 »

I'm a little late to this one so I'll go off with what I have to say. I thought the movie was handled well and actually did in fact capture what the games are like, the plot wasn't too contrived or full of plot holes in my opinion and character wise though some were a little cliche they weren't bad, and why be upset about bad dialogue? Has anyone actually watched a cut scene in a SH game? It's horrible, Avery is actually a pretty damn good scriptwriter especially when it comes to dialogue but he decided to eilicit the style of dialogue from the games.

PH actually did have an explanation, he was a representation of the punisher, and something Alessa conjured up, it also seems that Dalhia controls him somehow, (something I will agree they should have elaborated on) but like in the games PH is a punisher something who shows up to exact it's own punishment, however why it hunts after Rose and Cybil is questionable as neither characters are deserving of creatures justice.

There have always been 'three' different dimensions with SH the normal world version (aka the fun resort town with amusement parks that are taken from Colorado) the fog world (the not bad not good version of SH that all our heroes travel through) and the Otherworld (each characters nightmares come to life.) SH4 is a prime example of showing all three dimensions.

As I wholly agree that the movie could have been done better we should still be proud that our series got far better less embarassing treatment than the brainless movies they've come out with, fans of other games haven't had the treatment we've gotten our movie has so far been the truest to it's inspiration. And if you're upset with how the film turned out there is nothing that can be done through only sitting on web - sites and venting frustrations, though it makes you feel warm inside it does nothing to change the reality that you feel let down with the movie. I have only this to say try to spend 3 hours watching a movie with little dialogue, a guy running around listening to radio static, the plot moving forward after 20 minutes of creeping through darkness, I mean the biggest things we loved all usually focused on the main character wandering around alone and saying things to themself now and then about crap we're checking out to find a clue to a puzzle. Games cannot transition into film easily, there is still a lot that could be done, but we cannot expect a perfect transition, for two reasons, 1. we'll be bored and tire of watching what we've lived and could live again and again, and 2. no one wants to watch a guy run around with a flashlight, a radio, and a pipe trying to solve puzzles to get to the next piece of the plot.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I don't believe at all that Dahlia was able to summon PH. The symbol she made with her hand was a symbol of the cult, meaning that the person casting the symbol is declaring the other person to be a witch. It really doesn't make much sense that Dahlia would be able to summon PH, it's most likely that she simply knew Anna was dead meat since she was still outside and the worlds were shifting.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

It's actually just an old-world symbol akin to the evil eye, used to ward away evil or send it to someone. It's literally the same exact thing as the metal horns \m/. Just ask Ronny James Dio.
Last edited by rm2kking on 24 Jun 2009, edited 2 times in total.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Well, Christabella used it when she accused Rose and Cybil of being witches, so I assumed that's what it meant. Either way, I don't think it's Dahlia summoning PH.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

I agree. I suppose it's possible, but I don't think thats what happened.
dmcmaster550 wrote: As I wholly agree that the movie could have been done better we should still be proud that our series got far better less embarassing treatment than the brainless movies they've come out with, fans of other games haven't had the treatment we've gotten our movie has so far been the truest to it's inspiration.
Yes. Totally. That's why I titled this thread so. The only other movie that even comes close in terms of story and atmosphere is the first Mortal Kombat.

And there was rudimentary puzzles in the movie too (which I loved!) There was the clue in the Janitors mouth leading to the Hotel, and the whole picture slashing thing. I believe those scenes exist to represent the puzzles from the games without actually showing a long puzzle-solving scene where the character rearranges the coins in the desk 16 times before she gets it right.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I know that Wiki isn't the most reliable source, but:

"Gans stated that his original vision of the film's finale revolved around six Red Pyramids appearing inside the church, each carrying a different weapon, and slaughtering the cult members in reference to Dante's Inferno."
Sorry, I probably should've elaborated that I was referring to Pyramid Head as he was used in the first half scenes. The original vision was going to have the Pyramid Heads appear in the finale only.
Clueless, much?

It's already been mentioned: The film was an adaptation and the game is a re-imagining. Gans based it around SH1 and changed/removed much of the lure that was in the game. Oh, and don't act like you don't have double standards and hypocritical tendencies. Everyone does.
That's a terrible case of using semantics to justify your opinion. I suppose if the film was called a re-imagining, it'd be fine, right? After all, that was true for Shattered Memories in most peoples' cases.
As I wholly agree that the movie could have been done better we should still be proud that our series got far better less embarassing treatment than the brainless movies they've come out with, fans of other games haven't had the treatment we've gotten our movie has so far been the truest to it's inspiration. And if you're upset with how the film turned out there is nothing that can be done through only sitting on web - sites and venting frustrations, though it makes you feel warm inside it does nothing to change the reality that you feel let down with the movie. I have only this to say try to spend 3 hours watching a movie with little dialogue, a guy running around listening to radio static, the plot moving forward after 20 minutes of creeping through darkness, I mean the biggest things we loved all usually focused on the main character wandering around alone and saying things to themself now and then about crap we're checking out to find a clue to a puzzle. Games cannot transition into film easily, there is still a lot that could be done, but we cannot expect a perfect transition, for two reasons, 1. we'll be bored and tire of watching what we've lived and could live again and again, and 2. no one wants to watch a guy run around with a flashlight, a radio, and a pipe trying to solve puzzles to get to the next piece of the plot.
Perfection.
I don't believe at all that Dahlia was able to summon PH. The symbol she made with her hand was a symbol of the cult, meaning that the person casting the symbol is declaring the other person to be a witch. It really doesn't make much sense that Dahlia would be able to summon PH, it's most likely that she simply knew Anna was dead meat since she was still outside and the worlds were shifting.
I'm kind of on the fence. I'm sort've of the mind that Dahlia sort of subconsciously does it out of fear, instead of thinking "oh hur hur fuck that bitch Imma summon my bodyguard" and doesn't realize she's really doing it, and/or that her daughter is letting her do it and/or her daughter is doing it in response to her fear.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I think Alessa saw what was happening to her mother through her ESP (ESP also explains how she seems to know where the cult members are at all times, how she knows where Rose is, and how she's able to ascertain when to make the darkness fall and when to lift it) and sent her punisher after Anna. The only reason she didn't do it earlier was because she needed Rose to explore the hotel and find the sanctuary without running from monsters everywhere. Once that was done, she dropped the darkness to make Rose run to the church and meet the cultists, and then lifted it as soon as she was sure Rose and Cybil were in the church (did you know there's a disturbing number of people who think that scene "proves" the cultists can cause the darkness to retreat with prayer? :roll: ).
dmcmaster550
Just Passing Through

Post by dmcmaster550 »

JRamirez35 wrote:I think Alessa saw what was happening to her mother through her ESP (ESP also explains how she seems to know where the cult members are at all times, how she knows where Rose is, and how she's able to ascertain when to make the darkness fall and when to lift it) and sent her punisher after Anna. The only reason she didn't do it earlier was because she needed Rose to explore the hotel and find the sanctuary without running from monsters everywhere. Once that was done, she dropped the darkness to make Rose run to the church and meet the cultists, and then lifted it as soon as she was sure Rose and Cybil were in the church (did you know there's a disturbing number of people who think that scene "proves" the cultists can cause the darkness to retreat with prayer? :roll: ).
Hmm that seems like it makes more sense than Dahlia just manifesting PH out of no where. People seriously thought that haha? I wonder if there are hardcore Christians out there that think the cultists were in the right hmm could be possible.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

did you know there's a disturbing number of people who think that scene "proves" the cultists can cause the darkness to retreat with prayer?
Yea, but then people still think Dark Alessa is literally the Devil and Alessa had no earthly father.
I wonder if there are hardcore Christians out there that think the cultists were in the right hmm could be possible.
Pretty much most non-Silent Hill fans that saw the movie probably thought this at some point, even if they later knew better.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

I really don't think Dahlia was able to "summon" Pyramid Head, at least not consciously. Alessa seemed wholly in control of the monsters throughout the entire movie. Either that or Anna was in the wrong spot at the wrong time (or rather worst spot at the worst time).
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
GioGio

Post by GioGio »

Naughty Nurses wrote:^^How did you come to the conclusion that she's mentally retarded? I'm being serious, I just thought she was a terrible actress who was overplaying her part.
When I saw the movie for the first time, I didn't think she was retarded but I did think she was slow, below average intelligence.
I also thought her acting was ok.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/tzack/0212.jpg[/img]
It Doesn't Matter Who I am, I'm Here For You James.....See, I'm Real
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

The Anna thing is simple. Born and raised in the Otherworld. How could she not have problems?
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
dethzeppelinx
Just Passing Through

Post by dethzeppelinx »

The dumbest thing ever was when the anna said my mommy told me not to talk to strangers to a police officer.
There was a hole here....its gone now.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

That wasn't Anna. That was Sharon.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

^ LOL

anyway, i used to think Dahlia subconciously summoned. COULD work, but Alessa seemed to be in control all the time so... nope.
Deathbywoodenplank
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Deathbywoodenplank »

Video Gamer wrote:Too bad the script sucked ass.
*Sigh* true...
Not in cruelty, not in wrath
the REAPER came today.
An ANGEL visited this gray path,
and took the CUBE away.
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

Yes, the movie was directed well, & it's in fact one of my fav. movies based on the video games.
I hope they'd do the 2nd movie based on the 2nd game, with 'less' changes.
Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die