Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn: Gone?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Post by VIVIsect »

I've never been all that fond of Mcglynn. She's a decent vocalist but I've always thought that she sounded way out of her element with Yamaoka's music, particularly with the "ambient/trip hop-ish" tunes. Personally, I'd love to see her go and for all of the music to be instrumental. Of course, I'd also love to see Yamaoka break out the vintage analog synths (that he hasn't touched since SH2), start programing his own beats again and stop rehashing the same old material.

[/bitchbitchbitchbitch]
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

I love Mary as the vocalist in Akira's songs. She's very unique and not annoying like many singers I find out there. I also just recently read that she's co-director for SHSM. Did anyone else know this? Maybe it's been stated already and I've overlooked it.
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

I like Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's voice. That said, if we get her again for Shattered Memories, that's cool. If we get someone else, that's cool too - I don't mind coming across another singer, especially if it's someone I don't know and have to look up and learn about.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
December Man
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by December Man »

VIVIsect wrote:I've never been all that fond of Mcglynn. She's a decent vocalist but I've always thought that she sounded way out of her element with Yamaoka's music, particularly with the "ambient/trip hop-ish" tunes. Personally, I'd love to see her go and for all of the music to be instrumental. Of course, I'd also love to see Yamaoka break out the vintage analog synths (that he hasn't touched since SH2), start programing his own beats again and stop rehashing the same old material.

[/bitchbitchbitchbitch]
It's not bitching, it's legitimate complains. Especially about rehashing the same material. The songs in SH3, SH:H, SH:O and SH:SM(from what we heard up to this point) sound very very similar. Some of the instrumental music seems to be repeating itself too.
[img]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5149/smallershsig8jd.jpg[/img]
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Are McGlynn or Romersa the best singers? God no. Not by a long shot. Do their voices work with the feel of SH? Yes, and quite well. I hope they're still around for this, but if not, well, maybe we'll get something new to fit the atmosphere. As long as it fits.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I'm ambivalent about McGlynn. I don't think she's horrible or anything, but "Tender Sugar" is the only song of hers that I actually love.

Joe Romersa sounds like Barney the Dinosaur crossed the lead singer of the Crash Test Dummies.

And, no, that's not exactly a compliment.
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Well, his voice makes people uneasy. That's the point of the music in the game, right? I don't think they actually picked him because they thought he could sing...

I hope they didn't, anyway.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I'm afraid that's probably the truth of the matter.
Suiko
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Suiko »

I'm ambivalent about McGlynn. I don't think she's horrible or anything, but "Tender Sugar" is the only song of hers that I actually love.
I really have to agree here, that song fits the tone of the game almost perfectly, and you can really feel some emotion coming off of it. After that I still like the other songs, but the only other one I feel can even sort of connect with the other games emotionally is "You're Not Here." Maybe just because I love the line, "I feel your stress" and that rolling guitar riff, I play it myself on guitar all the time. :)
Oh, it should've been, could've been worse than you would ever know.
Well, you told me about nowhere well it sounds like someplace I'd like to go.
chloroplastic
Just Passing Through

Post by chloroplastic »

MMY wrote:>As long as I don't have to hear Joe Romersa's warble and gargle, I'm fine.
Yet McGlynn's Ooooooooowwwwwwwweeeeoowoowowooooowwooowoeoeooeeewww is acceptable?
I don't like Joe Romersa either, I have to admit ... but thank god! Someone's agreeing with me on McGlynn's supposed singing prowess! ("Proooweeeeoohowowess" is probably more like it.) I do like her better than Romersa, but that's about the extent of it.

Of course, yes, sure, she has been a staple of the series since the infamous third game, and I enjoy her for tradition's sake: if nothing else, I don't particularly want her replaced by the sparrow-voiced twit who's singing the main theme in the new trailers.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

I guess I'm the only one who likes Joe. o_o
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

i much prefer this new singer. mcglynn is extremely overrated, boring, and unfitting. i'd like a remake of all the songs she sung in, replaced by this girl.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
Alessandro
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Alessandro »

Video Gamer wrote:I guess I'm the only one who likes Joe. o_o
Nope, I like him too :)

His voice is nice... i like his singing in "Cradle of Forest" :D
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^I loved the mixture of Joe's voice along w/ MEMs voice in the background during the last chorus. I wish they had done more songs together. I was kind of hoping Yamaoka would bring back Joe for SH:SM and Interlace as well. I loved the vocals Interlace did for Rain of Brass Pedals-Three Voice Edition.
Restoration01
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Restoration01 »

Alessandro wrote:
Video Gamer wrote:I guess I'm the only one who likes Joe. o_o
Nope, I like him too :)

His voice is nice... i like his singing in "Cradle of Forest" :D
Me three!
I loved "Cradle of Forest", too!
Morlock
Just Passing Through

Post by Morlock »

I'm Very Glad Mary is back, again. I was already gearing myself up for her to not sing on this soundtrack. If she does 4 tracks . . . Will the new girl do 4 tracks too?? Will they both have versions of the the same songs? (PS, I don't like the new girl/singer. Trying too hard)
Douchette
Just Passing Through

Post by Douchette »

I actually like Mary's voice a lot better than this newer one.

I think the new one sounds a bit whiney and... Unemotional. I personally prefer Mary's softer, more mature voice.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Perhaps I listened to the wrong track: The 2 sound the same, or perhaps "new girl" is Mary McGlynn lite.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
BloodyFanGirl
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by BloodyFanGirl »

I personally like both vocalists; McGlynn and the 'new girl'. However I feel the new girl's voice has more of an eerie quality to it than McGlynn's.

I also think that it'd be kinda cool if the player got a different version of the main theme depending on their psyche profile. It might be a bit gimmicky but I quite like the idea, myself. XD
Emzo
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Emzo »

Ties in with the "Ice" theme if you ask me XD

But I do love Mary's voice <3
~| I've Come to Change the Order |~