No Silent Hill Homecoming Release in Japan

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

That makes no sense at all.
Deadbolt
Just Passing Through

Post by Deadbolt »

They didn't release it because it's non-cano-*shot in the face.*
Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Post by Burning Man »

Kairu wrote:Wait, what? Japan conservative about violence, they have some of the most violent games, cartoons and cinema going, they are very creative with violence and gore. I can't see that being the problem.
Again CERO C: for 15 and up. It's all about thinking of the children.

Anyway, what I said before isn't exactly my opinion. Certain Japanese fans think so. I'd imagine they have a better grasp of it.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

I still don't think it makes sense. Japan has the Battle Royale movie (and book) featuring young teens killing each other throughout. Is it different because of the (spoilers) adults killing the children? :?:
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

i really doubt its because of violence japan has some pretty crazy violent films(like audition) so its probably not that. Maybe they heard how bad it was and decided they didn't want it :lol:
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

The Japanese version of Resident Evil 4 was toned down from the American version, so it's not that surprising.
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

thats weird. are u sure, i mean isn't resident evil a japanese game?
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

SPRINGS02 wrote:i really doubt its because of violence japan has some pretty crazy violent films(like audition) so its probably not that. Maybe they heard how bad it was and decided they didn't want it :lol:
Audition and most of Miike Takashi's films are not meant for children. Video games, though, usually take children into consideration, and violence is toned down. I consider myself thoroughly jaded but I still had to look away from Homecoming on occasion because I found the violence a bit disturbing.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

SPRINGS02 wrote:i really doubt its because of violence japan has some pretty crazy violent films(like audition)
Eh? Audition wasn't exactly "crazy violent"... And, I wouldn't exactly consider Takashi Miike a part of mainstream Japanese cinema.
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

SPRINGS02 wrote:thats weird. are u sure, i mean isn't resident evil a japanese game?
Yes, but it's one of those Japanese-developed games that were released in the US first due to popularity (basically, unless it's an RPG it's not going to be as popular in Japan). Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania are two other series that have games that come to the West first.

And people say the Japanese companies don't do any favors for those of us living in the West...
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Bishop Sasarai wrote:
SPRINGS02 wrote:thats weird. are u sure, i mean isn't resident evil a japanese game?
Yes, but it's one of those Japanese-developed games that were released in the US first due to popularity (basically, unless it's an RPG it's not going to be as popular in Japan). Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania are two other series that have games that come to the West first.

And people say the Japanese companies don't do any favors for those of us living in the West...
Wow i had no idea that some japanese games came out in the america first. I swear if america would have released its games in japan before america i would be pissed and a little hurt lol
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

They have a lot of SH stuff we don't have many of or at all, so they can just deal with it lol (jk, jk..)

Seriously though they did get the awesome real-life nurses and p-head for the film's release.
ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ginjajacob »

Chrism~ wrote:It's a shame that Japan looses out on the better American Silent Hill title, but when you think about how popular handheld consoles are in Japan it makes sense. I would be very surprised if SM didn't sell in Japan though, there are many more domestic Wiis in Japan than 360s and PS3s combined.
I agree with you. Whenever I talk to students or my friends about gaming they only talk about there Wii, DS or PSP. The most popular games in Japan are the Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest series. However, It is wrong to assume Silent Hill was/is not popular in Japan, it is simply not true. Two of my co-workers have the first 3 silent hill games. I have met them a number of times and gone through the games with them. In its prime Silent Hill was huge, it was at the hight of its success when Silent Hill 2 was released. I bought SH:HH on its released and there were nothing but problems with the game on my Japanese playstation. I simply think they weighed up the effort which would take to be regionalized (language/ fixing the bugs) vs. the financial sense of such a venture. I personally dont feel that the game would be very popular here, to be honest it is not a very good game. It cant be for lack of popularity with regard to the horror genre as Forbidden Siren is pretty big here (ironic)

That been said alot of my students I have bought Origins.
Joaobessie
Just Passing Through

Post by Joaobessie »

But tell me something guys, did Homecoming sell well in North America and Europe? Or was it a flop like SH4?
IN MY RESTLESS DREAMS I SEE THAT TOWN, SILENT HILL
NothingLikeSleep

Post by NothingLikeSleep »

I don't know but I loved sh ona new gen console.
Chrysaor
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Chrysaor »

I have a very strong feeling that it also has to do with the fact that Silent Hill: Homecoming almost didn't sell at all, even here in the United States. The move to a Western developer, and what little of the plot/changes in the game that were revealed in the interviews with the developers, were anathema to all of the hardcore fan base. And then, I think the hideous box art sealed the deal. Even though I don't hate it as much as I thought I would, I never would've picked it up if I hadn't read the plot analysis detailed here.

Not only is it not being released in Japan, but production of the game has also stopped completely. After being out for, what, only a year? The price dropped very fast for a next-generation game (in an effort to sell it), but then Konami cut all fiscal ties to the game, because in all reality, they were probably losing money from it. Hold on to your copies, folks. If you even care, that is.

I really don't blame them for not spending even more money on localization, only to have it sell even worse in Japan than it did here.
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

Wow I really had no idea it wasn't released in Japan. That's unbelievable.
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

Joaobessie wrote:But tell me something guys, did Homecoming sell well in North America and Europe? Or was it a flop like SH4?
Last I had heard from North America it sold like 200,000 units or less, so it was a flop in this country
RIP Silent Hills