That noise...

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

F

Post by F »

And nope again. It IS on the last battle, at least on the Good endings as far as I can gather. It starts right when Dahlia's last laughing fit comes up. Then it's a mix of many sounds, but it DOES include the one from the way to the Antique Store.
NightFlutter
Hope House Careworker

Post by NightFlutter »

F wrote:And nope again. It IS on the last battle, at least on the Good endings as far as I can gather. It starts right when Dahlia's last laughing fit comes up. Then it's a mix of many sounds, but it DOES include the one from the way to the Antique Store.
Oh, I thought you were referring to that entire noise altogether. Yeah, I know what you're talking about. Sorry.
[url=http://www.myspace.com/unknown_monkeyman][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/ForgotAboutDre/My%20Creations/Sigs/SigPro.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]“Standing above the crowd...he had a voice that was strong and loud."[/i]
TriangleHead
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by TriangleHead »

For the love of god, close this thread. You guys are answering the same question with the same answers for three pages!
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun."
-Al Capone
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Probably the same reason most of the creepy noises play in SH...

... to scare you. :roll:
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

I really hated that part, I thought my audio was glitching
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

Do you guys mean the one that starts at 2:22 in the following clip and is barely audible? IIRC i first noticed it after the Darkness came, i think i was running from the mall to the hospital or whatever it was that came after the mall, can't remember.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yndSp_66PYc&mode=related&search=
Spong wrote:I can honestly say the ambient sound everyone's talking about (it's like high-frequency radio interference) is the best soundbyte of SH1. I love the way it grows more and more intense as you approach the antique store, guiding you there but making you kinda wish you could turn back because of its nature. It fits well with the "unwilling participant" feel of the game a whole.
As for what it actually might mean...I have no idea.
I agree, if we're talking about the same noise. It gave me such nasty vibes, but it did it so well that i gotta love it.

I only just noticed that this was a bit old topic, so if you're wondering why i'm talking like it was just made recently, then that's why.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

The Necronoir wrote:I think the answer is gameplay oriented. The lighthouse is in a fairly linear section of the game with only one path, so you're not likely to miss it. The Antique Store, on the other hand, has a very small entrance and is located within one of the larger areas of the game, so the chances that it will be missed, leaving the player to wander around aimlessly, are much higher. That's why it gets louder the closer you get, like a homing beacon.

More generally it was just a really disturbing sound, it doesn't really have to have a reason to work successfully.
Doesn't the camera angle shift quite noticably right when you pass the door to the antique shop?

I think MB was right, "your getting closer...." as I recall this is a rather pivotal part of the game... :)
revalations 23:16
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

Yeah I did notice that noise, but the weird thing is I never noticed it there when I played the game on my old Playstation. I never even knew a noise existed, I would just run around and explore a bit before going to the antique shop.
Then after my PSX got stolen and I played the game on my PS2, I noticed the noise. It was so... loud. And annoying. I always run STRAIGHT to the antique shop now.
On the digital copy the noise seems a little less loud, may be my imagination, or perhaps I'm just used to it.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Anonymous wrote:
NightFlutter wrote:Yeah...but closer to what? My guess is pancakes...
Lol.

I don't remember the noise, but that's definitely a good guess.
Hes right, PANCAKES! ;D

And I think that it just leads you to the store/