The Midwich Sound

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

I don't remember hearing it when I was at the school. I remember hearing it *somewhere* though, scared the piss out of me. Hmmm... *tries to remember where it was*
cedar grove
Just Passing Through

Post by cedar grove »

maby its the last of the otherworld converting back to the misty world.
what does no man want, but dosent want to lose either?
a lawsuit.
BrookhavenMaleNurse
Just Passing Through

Post by BrookhavenMaleNurse »

I tried looking for this sound, but I didn't hear it!
I'm gonna go back and try again, hopefully it works out this time.

If it doesn't, would it be too much work for someone to make a quick video?
I'm a sucker for easter eggs and anything of the sort. :P
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

Any word on if you can hear this sound in the digital copy?
monmashq wrote:Nah, I wasn't in 'Next Fear'. Brand New file. Just got through the sch00l.
Perhaps it's just the opposite- you can only hear it on a white game. That might explain why it's easy to miss, chances are people having been playing gold/Next Fear games.
Ioncannon
Just Passing Through

Post by Ioncannon »

Dunno if possible, but what about crack open the sound files and search for it??? Might be alot of sounds to go through tho.
Dark Shadow
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Shadow »

I've gone through the sound files and I've found a couple that could fit the description, but as I've never heard it myself I can't say for sure.
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Post by Son_of_Kauffman »

DarkShadow2401 wrote:I've gone through the sound files and I've found a couple that could fit the description, but as I've never heard it myself I can't say for sure.
Please upload it so we can compare it to what some of us have heard.
Spetsnaz of the Interior Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia
Spetsnaz sil Vnutrenniye Voiska Ministerstva Vnutrennikh Del

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
JiGoKuShOuJiN
Just Passing Through

Post by JiGoKuShOuJiN »

Yes it often happens specially if your on the Otherworld. I jumped when I heard if first time. I heard a crash or some bottle broke. LOL!
Dark Shadow
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Shadow »

Sorry I've been away for a while, I can either upload them or you can download the sound file archive from Fungo's website, whichever is easiest.
Xerophan
Just Passing Through

Post by Xerophan »

It's threads like these that make me rejoice even more in replaying a Silent Hill game. Only problem is, I've just recently re-beaten the game and saved the New Fear over my old save. . . . So, if I don't hear the noise on my next playthrough, because of my curiosity I'm going to have to start another completely NEW game. Ah, well, every journey through Silent Hill is a rewarding one!
2 Favorite Quotes:

"[color=#0000FF]I was weak. That’s why I needed you.... Needed someone to punish me for my sins.... But that’s all over now.... I know the truth.... Now it’s time to end this."[/color]--James Sunderland

[color=#BF0000]"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty....It's all the same once you're dead. And a corpse can't laugh."[/color]--Eddie
RedPrismHead
Just Passing Through

Post by RedPrismHead »

maybe its like the unexplained "wooden stick noise" in SH4 when you go into the restrooms the first time you go into subway world
NightlyOne
Just Passing Through

Post by NightlyOne »

I recall experiencing this on my first playthrough. I definitely remember finishing up the school, and then hearing a loud bang noise that seemed to have originated from thin air as I was leaving. Scared me shitless.

As someone else in the topic said earlier, could've been just a random noise thrown in to scare you. The game's gotta keep you on your toes in-between Otherworld phases, y'know. :P
PyrmidHeadPwner
Just Passing Through

Post by PyrmidHeadPwner »

Never heard it, but it may be like the shattering glass in the hospital. No source of the sound, but it's there none the less.
LSSJGamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by LSSJGamer »

Yeah I remember hearing that sound MY FIRST playthrough of the game, I didn't hear it on a New Fear game at all. Mine was in a slightly different spot though, I was walking toward the school bus when it happened to me. I thought a monster was in the bus so I hurried in there to kick it's butt. (Remember I like violence) But there was nothing in there, so I thought the sound was there just to scare me.

Well if you really want to hear that sound again, have a friend fill up a dryer full of acordians and wait outside the room you play SH in. Then when you pass the school sign have him his the dryer as hard as he can wtih an axe or sledgehammer. There is your sound, problem solved... though I wonder how you will dry your clothes afterwards. Sledgehammers are so... Legendary.
*Insert Legendary signature here*
Altrus
Just Passing Through

Post by Altrus »

I heard this on my first play through also, or I guess this would be what I heard. I was only like ten at the time, and it was the first time I had encountered foggy SH at night, so that plus the sound made the next two or three minutes a panicky frantic dash down the road until I ran into the church....just one long none stop run.... :lol: :lol:
“What moves those of genius, what inspires their work is not new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough.”

And that is why I'm going to create a Silent Hill game, and many other games after that.

"Pre-Ablaze Believer"
Actraiser
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Re: The Midwich Sound

Post by Actraiser »

Searching for a definitive answer on this is like hunting for Bigfoot....if we just had some video evidence, atleast there would be compelling proof. I myself have never heard it, but I'll certainly pay extra attention whenever I leave the school on my next playthrough...
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.

-Bertrand Russell
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Wait, is this the screeching buzzing moaning noise that sounds like a fucked up school bell?
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
asphodel13
Just Passing Through

Post by asphodel13 »

I am no expert on game programs but i think the mettallic crashing noise in that location outside the school can only happen just the once, for every game, so if you want to hear it again you have to start a completely new game, maybe? also, there are more than just the one sound being referenced on this thread. the mettallic crashing noise, (which to me sounds like someone hitting an aluminum baseball bat against a chain link fence), the glass breaking nioses in the hospital, and the ambiance noise of the wavery screechy alarm type noise that gradually grows louder.