Nightmare chase sequences

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

DirtyNorris wrote:Despite it being an interesting concept, I'm not finding the icy otherworld as creepy/scary as the bloody one, but the chase sequences themselves look terrifying enough to more than make up for it. I get a bit frustrated about not being frightened by SH any more, so I'm really excited about the game hopefully being as scary as it looks.
Once you've played a game that has blood and rust 3 or 4 times, the scary factor goes down.

Luckly for me, (or unlucky) is I have a tendency to get easily wrapped in the world and then get unnerved and startled easily. :roll:
DirtyNorris
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DirtyNorris »

The Icy Otherworld, despite playing host to the chase sequences (which look terrifying), just isn't disturbing enough. Although these 2 pictures creep me out for some reason: http://uk.psp.ign.com/dor/objects/14325 ... 95qjoc9p1p

http://uk.psp.ign.com/dor/objects/14325 ... h6va8mpmc9

I don't know why people see the Icy Otherworld being the opposite to the Bloody One-I know fire played a part in it, but it wasn't the defining characteristic. If they had another otherworld that revolved around another bodily fluid, I think that would be a lot more suitable :wink:
...creepy much?
[img]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/DirtyNorris/o0p1cpjpg.png[/img]
put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

Suiko wrote:http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/artic ... 3_640w.jpg

I'm pretty sure he's jumping from building to building but sorta hard to tell lol.
Who knew Harry did parkour?

I'm looking forward to the chase scenes. SH already makes us think deeper so it might as well make us think faster, too. After the chase it lets you cool down (hah) by freezing up the doors and windows allowing you to take all the time you need to solve a puzzle. I like it but it might get a little repetitive. And for the record, I like the ice.
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
efr100
Just Passing Through

Post by efr100 »

im curious to know if every monster encounter will be a chase sequence like this, or if there will be free roaming monsters around like classic silent hill style. i would like to see a mix of the two because i think if it is only the chases, it will get a little repetitive
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

efr100 wrote:im curious to know if every monster encounter will be a chase sequence like this, or if there will be free roaming monsters around like classic silent hill style. i would like to see a mix of the two because i think if it is only the chases, it will get a little repetitive
I'm going to guess that they'll only be in the nightmare sequences, since normal Silent Hill in this game is actually normal; there are people living there for starters so I doubt we'll have monsters roaming the streets randomly.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
BloodyFanGirl
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Nightmare Chase Mode

Post by BloodyFanGirl »

aturtle wrote:I think it would be neat if they incorporated an Endless Nightmare Chase Mode.
I think this is kind of a cool idea. I doubt it would be implemented, though. XD But perhaps there'd be an achievement for getting away from the monsters quickly? Or perhaps completing the game with a low number of times beasties have attacked and tried to slow down Harry? Maybe there'd be an achievement for 100 roof top jumps. XD I don't know. The nightmare chase sequences seem like they'd have an achievement or an unlockable associated with them. XD But that's just me. :P

Also, I'd be interested to see how the monsters evolve throughout the course of the game and how boss battles are executed.

Aaand~ I'm undecided on the new 'icy' look of the other world; I can see it working very well but I can also see it just not being scary enough.
Last edited by BloodyFanGirl on 16 Oct 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Dude, I'm having the chills and I don't even played this game yet.
I was looking for some videos on youtube an I saw monster's grabbing Harry from every possible way, there was a scene were he was going under a table and the monster grabbed his feet, in another one Harry was looking trough a door, and there wasn't anything in the room, from the middle of nowhere a monster comes. :?
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Jecht wrote: It would make me nervous knowing I have little monsters chasing me.
I think that is kinda the purpose. :wink:

I am not looking forward to the chasing. I hate being chased. In fact, that is the only real draw back I am finding w/ this game, the idea of half the game being nothing but OMFGGTFORUNFORYOURLIFE!!!!! D :
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^Yeah, that's exactly what I was *trying* to tell. Dammit, I hate that too :?
BloodyFanGirl
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by BloodyFanGirl »

Harrys_Girl wrote: I am not looking forward to the chasing. I hate being chased. In fact, that is the only real draw back I am finding w/ this game, the idea of half the game being nothing but OMFGGTFORUNFORYOURLIFE!!!!! D :
Yeah, I second this. Something tells me that I won't be able to play this game in the dark. I also have a feeling that I won't be able to take walks in the woods on my own for sometime after playing this game-instead I'll be running. XD
Jecht
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Jecht »

So you guys don't like the chasing? Why? That's the whole point is you can't fight back so you have to do the next best thing....RUN
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

Plus its true to real nightmares. I mean have you ever had a nightmare where you're armed with a shotgun, rifle, and katana? In nightmares, you're usually always completely defenseless and always forced to do nothing but run or hide.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Apocali wrote:Plus its true to real nightmares. I mean have you ever had a nightmare where you're armed with a shotgun, rifle, and katana? In nightmares, you're usually always completely defenseless and always forced to do nothing but run or hide.
I think thats basically what Tom Hulett (forgive me if I spelled that wrong :3) said, haha.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

See, I'm really looking forward to the chases, but then, I seem to be one of the few people who really enjoyed the secong half of The Room, which basically played out like a huge chase scene. I enjoy that kind of adrenaline pumping horror. It's like the first time I played SH1, after leaving the Green Lion Antiques shop I just ran and didn't stop until things went back to fog world, I hope that they manage to catch that feeling of pure terror in these chases.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Aric - The Reaper
Gravedigger

Post by Aric - The Reaper »

as much as i have seen, the chases/fleeing is really good looking and pulls you in and shout 'Run Harry RUN!!'
Lost within this town, Silent Hill. It is cursed...much like me. This letter... this feeling.... What darkness lies within my heart? - Silent Hill 6: Reaper - By A.R.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I'm finding looking behind you to see the monsters getting ever closer is terrifying and incredibly intense, but in a Resident Evil 4 "ohmygodohmygodohmygod!!!" way and not in a suspenseful, disturbing, Silent Hill way.

It gets so frustrating though, how you can just get lost and go around and around in circles, and how the motion controls work less and less the more tired Harry gets, and relying on the pointer to turn/steer harry while he runs doesn't really work so good and I don't feel confident in my own actions in the game, perhaps this is better with a couple of analog sticks.

EDIT: I'm now at a maze-like bit in the mall, and I want to strangle whoever designed this game.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Aric - The Reaper wrote:as much as i have seen, the chases/fleeing is really good looking and pulls you in and shout 'Run Harry RUN!!'
It is more like. "Where is the BLUE!!! WHERE THE FUCK IS THE BLUE!!! GET OFF ME YOU BITCH, RUN PANSY!HARRY RUN!" Or you know, something along those lines. Although I tended to yeah more at Kaufmann than anyone else in the game.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

DistantJ wrote:I'm finding looking behind you to see the monsters getting ever closer is terrifying and incredibly intense, but in a Resident Evil 4 "ohmygodohmygodohmygod!!!" way and not in a suspenseful, disturbing, Silent Hill way.
^This and i actually got annoyed during the chase sequences the rawshocks were more annoying than scary for me.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

At first I found them scary, after a while like you I just found them annoying, it sort of went from "Please don't hurt me!" to "Oh would you just bugger off already!" over the 5 hours or so of the game.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Aric - The Reaper
Gravedigger

Post by Aric - The Reaper »

Lol, Harry's Girl. yeah after the first chase i was like, 'O_o did i just....' and then Dr. K comes on and then i was like 'oooookay....'
Lost within this town, Silent Hill. It is cursed...much like me. This letter... this feeling.... What darkness lies within my heart? - Silent Hill 6: Reaper - By A.R.