The Whispering

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

Dante wrote:Where do you hear this exactly ?

It´s scary... :shock:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
In the blue creek apartment building, room 204.
haven't you been paying attention to this thread?
revalations 23:16
NothingLikeSleep

Post by NothingLikeSleep »

Dante wrote:Where do you hear this exactly ?

It´s scary... :shock:
For me it happened only my second time through the game
Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Drainage64 »

I got a weird idea. What if it is just some random phrase or something being said..In Japanese?!
-=Let's Positive thinking=-
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

That would make sense if it wasn't clearly English.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Drainage64 »

MMY wrote:That would make sense if it wasn't clearly English.
hmm..

Is there anywhere I can listen to it myself (Other than the game because I can't play it atm :(
-=Let's Positive thinking=-
Däniken
Just Passing Through

Post by Däniken »

I listened this with headphones and it doesn't say anything recognizable to me. There is a certain similarity with "see my dead wife" at the beginning but if one listens carefully, the pronunciation just isn't right for that. I have to side with Arsonist on this one.
I am Malth. You will never get past me.
Damn It All
Just Passing Through

Post by Damn It All »

I don't know about that though. I mean, Silent Hill 2 is known for its deeper messages rather then relying on random scares. Also, I mean how awesome of an opportunity does this look like to have some crazy hidden meaning?

Maybe playing it backwards?
The Heart is heaven but the Mind is Hell. - Tom Waits
Däniken
Just Passing Through

Post by Däniken »

I played it backwards and it's just gibberish. Certainly there are hidden messages in the games but random scary sounds are also quite common.
Damn It All
Just Passing Through

Post by Damn It All »

Däniken wrote:I played it backwards and it's just gibberish. Certainly there are hidden messages in the games but random scary sounds are also quite common.
I suppose...but I can't help but think that there is something more to this whispering. I mean its, for lack of a better word, dialogue within the game. I would imagine that these lines have some sort of tangible meaning behind them.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I still maintain the voice says, "See my dead wife, come home, do some laundry (to escape), see [undecipherable name]'s face."

However, I've been listening to the same 2 seconds for 8 years now, so of course I'm conditioned to what it says: It's been implanted into my fragile, impressionable mind.

I'm digging up the file to re-upload it, by the way. I'll add it this post and my first post as well.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Däniken
Just Passing Through

Post by Däniken »

MMY wrote:I still maintain the voice says, "See my dead wife, come home, do some laundry (to escape), see [undecipherable name]'s face."
If anything, it says "put" before the supposed "some laundry", not "do". After "laundry" it says "do", not "to". Quite clearly "d" is being pronounced instead of "t". After this I hear "saiivniivit". I can't make the word "escape" out of that in any way.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Here's the file.

None of this discussion really matters: The voice doesn't say anything, and if it does there's no way to distinguish what.

I can strain myself to hear "See my dead wife an' come home to do some laundry to escape an' maybe see to Carsoo Simpsoo's face" but that's a forced strain. Real talk.

But like I said: None of this matters b/c there's nothing there.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Damn It All
Just Passing Through

Post by Damn It All »

I know its probably a long shot even so I doubt it will answer any questions but does anyone happen to know who does the voice? Actor I mean.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

In all my 9 or 10 playtroughs I never heard that. I tryed to listen this on my last playtrough but nothing. I even turned the volume up like to 50 and got damn close to the TV but nothing. What's wrong?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The whispering doesn't always play. Whether or not it does play is predetermined from the game's onset and isn't reset until you begin an entirely new game.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

In all honesty, I've never heard it in the game. Not once, in all the dozens of times I've played (though, I only to listen for it on a handful of those occasions).
Noble Kale
Just Passing Through

Post by Noble Kale »

I've never heard it in game either. I'll have to play it again
This is the year when hope fails you
When the test subjects run the experiments
Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper »

MMY wrote:The whispering doesn't always play. Whether or not it does play is predetermined from the game's onset and isn't reset until you begin an entirely new game.
Hate to nudge up a 4-month post, but if that's the case, why not try an experiment?

Fire up the PC version, run through the game up to the second save point, saving at both the first and second; then start a new game, and save twice in the same spots, trying to do as much the same as possible.

Assuming the save files aren't encrypted, and the things really are predetermined when you start a new game, you could isolate the ones that cause that event to happen.

In fact, the same could be said for all of them; and on top of that, an easy way to test would be to take one save before that room, go in, and reload/do it again a few times and see if you get the same result each time. If a file that plays it once continues to play it with each reload, then the other one doesn't (alternating between the two in random patterns to try to iron out random factors) then you'll know it's at least prior to the apartment being entered.
Dale
Just Passing Through

Post by Dale »

I heard a rumor that theirs a room in the apartments were you could here someone say "behind you" or is that BS that someone mixed up with this?
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Shenanigans.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.