SH 5: A Complete Disappointment

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

SPRINGS02
Historical Society Historian
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Correct, PC version is known to be a horrible port but PS3's games are buggy by default. It's a complicated platform and one could argue that any given game runs better on 360 than PS3.

Uh no just...no since when have games been known to be buggy on ps3

:?
ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ginjajacob »

I would have liked the combat to have been more like Siren if truth be told. Yeah, I might have expected too much from home coming, I suppose it could have been worse. It does take me a long time to write a really long posts. The posts I write usually consist of terrible grammar, because I rush them. My days of late consist of waking up at 6'30, taking a train to work for an hour, teaching until 4.30, getting the train back, teaching private students then going to bed. At weekends I work both nights as a bartender. Now I have just nipped back to get more materials for my next class. Its mad but Im having to work this hard to get on my feet. I lived in the Japanese countryside for 2 years, now I live in central Osaka. I had to find jobs and an apartment and took me a couple months to get set up. Its hardcore mate. Ill be fine by Christmas, ill drop a couple of privates, only work one night a week in the bar.
Larson
Gravedigger

Post by Larson »

SPRINGS02 wrote:Uh no just...no since when have games been known to be buggy on ps3
:?
Always. I've played many multiplatform-games and read enough reviews and comparisons (360 to PS3) to know that this is true, not to mention the research I've done on PS3's technical side and the opinions of professional game developers.
Mantorok Narokath Redgormor
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

hmm thats weird because i just bought nba 2k10 on ps3 and i keep hearing everyone say the framerate is horrible on 360. i don't know i've just never played any buggy games on the ps3...
SasaYamaoka
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SasaYamaoka »

SPRINGS02 wrote:
SasaYamaoka wrote:
Silent One wrote: GAAAARR! Rabble Rabble Rabble! :lol:

*edit*
Man guys. Seriously there's no reason to get so heated about the subject.

Love & Peace! :wink:
... see how my fellow man SilentOne understandsts.

Harmonyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
No screw harmony! *picks up rock and throws it at SasaYamaoka* nah just kidding :lol: I told you people get pretty heated over these arguments about homecoming alot.
XD XD XD

Hey ... dont make me start an arqument ! XD

This is SH5 arena !!!! A place where an spliting of an atom happens regulary! so enter at your own risk.
Last edited by SasaYamaoka on 26 Nov 2009, edited 3 times in total.
Larson
Gravedigger

Post by Larson »

SPRINGS02 wrote:i don't know i've just never played any buggy games on the ps3...
Maybe you've played buggy games but you haven't just noticed it. I play so many different games on different consoles that I'm bound to notice the differences on PS3 which are almost always negative in gameplay mechanic due to the simple fact that games are harder to program for PS3. This has nothing to do with SH5 though, except for it's buggy controls on PS3.
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

TheGhastlyGrinner wrote:If you dislike the game thats fine, but don't put my quotes into your comments.

sry for the dbl post but that pissed me off :evil:
If I made you feel that way, I apologize.

Girl Interrupted wrote:Huh, it seems like it bothered you still.
Girl Interrupted wrote:....
Girl Interrupted wrote:Maybe you should open your eyes.
Girl Interrupted wrote:Stop being so impulsive.
Good job on repeating what I said.

Girl Interrupted wrote:Research what exactly?
I don't know, maybe some reviews, ratings, comments etc.

Girl Interrupted wrote:That was the point. It wasn't supposed to be logical. Based on your "FACTS" that Homecoming was indeed a failed attempt at a SH game that would mean that even the people who liked the game would think it was a failed attempt. Sounds stupid, I know. Which is why I LOLed.
I really don't get this. Why it would mean that even the people who liked the game would think it was a failed attempt in the first place. I didn't say something like that. You just made up a statement and then you found it stupid assuming I was the one who said it...?

Girl Interrupted wrote:Is that bold part where you stopped reading? :roll:
No it's the part where I almost passed out from the stu... the ridiculousness overdose.

Girl Interrupted wrote:I fucking doubt you read the hundreds of reviews on Homecoming to know that only one critic felt the game's story was creative.
Of course I didn't. But you're the first one who mentioned that there's actually ONE review who finds the story creative. And for the record all the reviews I've read up to this day, say that Homecoming is a mediocre horror game at best. Sorry.

KageReneko wrote:Silent Hill Homecoming is the worst game of the franchise but that doesn't make it a bad game...

End of story... You can have your own opinion but you can force the other people to think like you; post your thoughts but respect the other's opinions... If you don't like that the people bash Homecoming just don't enter to this thread...
Exactly. Nuff said.

Silent One wrote:Man guys. Seriously there's no reason to get so heated about the subject.

Love & Peace! :wink:
I agree with you, but it seems some of us can't help getting pissed off. I find it fun! :wink:

Larson wrote:Homecoming was the very definition of "new" when it comes to the series. New combat, new controls, new characters, new storyline, new game environment, new features.. It's not too ground breaking when it comes to horror genre though.
Ahh, now that's one good statement. Homecoming despite its difference to the formula of Silent Hill, it's STILL a horror game, unlike RE4 and RE5.

ginjajacob wrote:I would have liked the combat to have been more like Siren if truth be told.
I couldn't agree more with you here. It would have been much much better.

SasaYamaoka wrote:XD XD XD

Hey ... dont make me start an arqument ! XD

This is SH5 arena !!!! A place where an spliting of an atom happens regulary! so enter at your own risk.
Hahaha! :lol:
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
Girl Interrupted
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Girl Interrupted »

Travis wrote:Good job on repeating what I said.
I love how that's all you got out of that. Really. Grow up.

Travis wrote:
Girl Interrupted wrote:Research what exactly?
I don't know, maybe some reviews, ratings, comments etc.
After you.
Travis wrote:I really don't get this. Why it would mean that even the people who liked the game would think it was a failed attempt in the first place. I didn't say something like that. You just made up a statement and then you found it stupid assuming I was the one who said it...?
Travis wrote:Look, dudes. Everyone likes it or hates it for his/her own reasons.
But it's a fact that Homecoming failed as a Silent Hill game either you like it or not. Even I can enjoy the game if I don't take it seriously. But I just can't accept it as a solid Silent Hill title.
It's like a child's attempt to paint Da Vinci's Mona Lisa. It's cute, but not to be taken seriously.
Hmmm, nope that's definitely your ridiculously stupid comment.
Travis wrote:Of course I didn't. But you're the first one who mentioned that there's actually ONE review who finds the story creative. And for the record all the reviews I've read up to this day, say that Homecoming is a mediocre horror game at best. Sorry.
I've only read 2 reviews because I really don't give a shit what critics have to say.
If I read a review from a critic about how much they hated it, then they hated it. If I read a review that said they liked it, then they liked it. I'm not going to use that in my argument and say "oh well so and so thought it was a good game!"

I only brought up those two reviews because SPRING was talking about how all the critics rated it very poorly and that their opinions should be taken into account because they get paid to voice their thoughts.

Also just because every review that you have read (which, knowing you, probably only was around 5 reviews) stated that the game was mediocre doesn't mean that the game was in fact mediocre. Sorry.
Travis wrote:
ginjajacob wrote:I would have liked the combat to have been more like Siren if truth be told.
Silent Hill's combat was never like Siren.
Seriously it's the camera work in Homecoming that makes the combat feel so different from previous games.
Last edited by Girl Interrupted on 26 Nov 2009, edited 5 times in total.
Larson
Gravedigger

Post by Larson »

Girl Interrupted wrote:
Travis wrote:
Not meaning to sound rude but wasn't that their point?
Girl Interrupted wrote:Seriously it's the camera work in Homecoming that makes the combat feel so different from previous games.
Well the static 3rd person camera, yes, but what about the more dynamic combat with combos, building up power for hits, dodging, counters, locking and free gun aiming?
Girl Interrupted
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Girl Interrupted »

Larson wrote:
Girl Interrupted wrote:
Travis wrote:I couldn't agree more with you here. It would have been much much better.
Not meaning to sound rude but wasn't that their point?
Maybe I misunderstood it but I thought ginjajacob was only talking about Homecoming.

My apologies if he wasn't.
Larson wrote:
Girl Interrupted wrote:Seriously it's the camera work in Homecoming that makes the combat feel so different from previous games.
Well the static 3rd person camera, yes, but what about the more dynamic combat with combos, building up power for hits, dodging, counters, locking and free gun aiming?
Well building up power is nothing new to the series; the beloved Team Silent featured this in SH4. Dodging/blocking an enemy's attack has also been in SH3, SH4 and Origins (can't remember if it was in the first game though- it’s been a while since I've played it).

Also I didn't mean to come off like the combat in Homecoming didn't change from previous games. Yes it has changed but not as drastically as people like to think.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Actually, I'm gonna have to agree with ginjajacob on Homecoming's need to be more Siren-like. Why? Because they went through the trouble of putting noisy props all over the environments and giving monsters ears. For fun, I started my PS3 version of Homecoming on Hard and basically stealthed the entire Alchemilla chapter. It was far more tense and enjoyable than fighting the nurses ever was.

Best part was the operating theater, when I had to turn on my flashlight among three nurses to open a door. Somehow, they managed to forget about me when the door closed behind me after I burst through. I was relieved... and maybe slightly disappointed (then again, they're prologue nurses, not the femme beasties from the Hotel and Clinic).

As I've said before, I found the combat system fully functional and satisfying, but I must admit it takes away from the scare factor when I'm so proficient at using it. So, it sorta became a "thanks, but did you have to do it this way?" to Double Helix. I dunno, maybe if all of the monsters were significantly tougher (yes, to the horror of some forumgoers, I want this game's monsters to be tougher) and stealth options more varied, it would've made for a better gameplay experience.

And if the four family heads were the protagonists, etc., etc.
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

kenji you seem like you like siren, have you played siren bloodcurse? i thought it was the scariest next gen horror game. Its so tense at certain points...
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Was never a big fan of Siren. I've always found it to be too frustrating to enjoy what little I did find promising... At some times it even felt outright goofy, to me.

I think Homecoming's combat was a step in the right direction... As it's been pointed out, charge attacks and dodging have been used in past games... I haven't played 2 or 3 in a bit but I know in 1 you have that backward jump.... 4, while in combat stance tapping a direction you do a quick dodge sort of jump... Homecoming just makes it a key element. With some tweaking to the balance and less forced encounters, I think it'd be a great system to build upon.

Although I think it's more likely for Shattered Memories' system to catch on and then we'll never be able to fully enjoy the otherworld environments again. Woo.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

SPRINGS02 wrote:kenji you seem like you like siren, have you played siren bloodcurse? i thought it was the scariest next gen horror game. Its so tense at certain points...
Haha, I was so desperate to play Siren: New Translation that I bought the Asian Blu-Ray about half a year before I ever got a PS3! :)

I'm still in Chapter 3 (because I've become some kind of an irresponsible, attention-deficit gamer), but so far, I find it very enjoyable. It took a little getting used to, since the controls got so sensitive all of a sudden... but I found a happy medium of using First-Person view and taking things slow... oh, and trying to limit sightjacking to what I'm used to.

But yeah, I'll agree with you, it's so far the best horror game of the current generation and I really hope there'll be a Siren 3 by 2012. :D If Shattered Memories and any prospective successors also succeed, then I'll feel more at ease about the horror genre's future.
Nyarlathotep wrote:With some tweaking to the balance and less forced encounters, I think it'd be a great system to build upon.
Tweaking is always appreciated. When I say that I feel Homecoming should include more stealth elements, I didn't mean that the combat system should necessarily change as a result... just tougher enemies and more options. I'll admit I've never tried running from Needlers, but something just told me it wouldn't work.

In my dream-version of Homecoming, which is more-or-less a stealth game starring four adults, I had this vision of Adam Shepherd spending all of his playtime with only the Bluesteel shotgun (which is his, after all). The player would have the option of using its awesome power, smacking enemies with the butt of the gun (which can be done but I've certainly never tried it), or avoiding combat altogether.
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

Girl Interrupted wrote:I love how that's all you got out of that. Really. Grow up.
:lol: Hahahaha, you're very amusing Girl you know that?
It was just funny how you began using those expresions RIGHT after I did. Plus, I love how you're anticipating my responses like that.
Seriously though, chill the fuck out. We're just fooling around here. :wink:

Girl Interrupted wrote:
Travis wrote:I really don't get this. Why it would mean that even the people who liked the game would think it was a failed attempt in the first place. I didn't say something like that. You just made up a statement and then you found it stupid assuming I was the one who said it...?
Travis wrote:Look, dudes. Everyone likes it or hates it for his/her own reasons.
But it's a fact that Homecoming failed as a Silent Hill game either you like it or not. Even I can enjoy the game if I don't take it seriously. But I just can't accept it as a solid Silent Hill title.
It's like a child's attempt to paint Da Vinci's Mona Lisa. It's cute, but not to be taken seriously.
Hmmm, nope that's definitely your ridiculously stupid comment.
... OK, please rub your head a bit, do some yoga and read it again.

Girl Interrupted wrote:I've only read 2 reviews because I really don't give a shit what critics have to say.
That's good. I'm with you. You shouldn't give a shit. I told you before: Screw them critics.

Girl Interrupted wrote:(which, knowing you, probably only was around 5 reviews)
Oh, you know me? Nah, you're just flattering me. :oops:
Also I read a lot more than 5 reviews, sorry.

Girl Interrupted wrote:Silent Hill's combat was never like Siren.
And Homecoming's was? Image

Kenji wrote:Actually, I'm gonna have to agree with ginjajacob on Homecoming's need to be more Siren-like. Why? Because they went through the trouble of putting noisy props all over the environments and giving monsters ears. For fun, I started my PS3 version of Homecoming on Hard and basically stealthed the entire Alchemilla chapter. It was far more tense and enjoyable than fighting the nurses ever was.

As I've said before, I found the combat system fully functional and satisfying, but I must admit it takes away from the scare factor when I'm so proficient at using it.
That was the main problem with Homecoming's combat system.
And I agree about the stealth part. I used a lot of it in 0rigins. It gives much more tension.

SPRINGS02 wrote:kenji you seem like you like siren, have you played siren bloodcurse? i thought it was the scariest next gen horror game. Its so tense at certain points...
It's good, A LOT SCARIER than Homecoming, but still nothing compared to the old SH games...
Note however, that the storytelling of Blood Curse is horrible.

Nyarlathotep wrote:I think Homecoming's combat was a step in the right direction... As it's been pointed out, charge attacks and dodging have been used in past games... I haven't played 2 or 3 in a bit but I know in 1 you have that backward jump.... 4, while in combat stance tapping a direction you do a quick dodge sort of jump... Homecoming just makes it a key element. With some tweaking to the balance and less forced encounters, I think it'd be a great system to build upon.
The guard/dodge moves were completely different in the old games. In HC there are special buttons just for them. And yes, DH focused on the combat part more than anything. Bad move...

Kenji wrote:But yeah, I'll agree with you, it's so far the best horror game of the current generation and I really hope there'll be a Siren 3 by 2012. :D If Shattered Memories and any prospective successors also succeed, then I'll feel more at ease about the horror genre's future.
Let's cross our fingers! :wink:
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
NothingLikeSleep

Post by NothingLikeSleep »

Homecoming may have been a disappointment to most but at least they didn't fuck around with the primary storyline of the series. Origins was a copy of a copy of a copy. Felt like I played that game a million times the first time I put it in. And Alex was easier to become attached to, Travis was cool but wasn't exactly lovable. I didn't care if he died or was raped by monsters.
SasaYamaoka
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SasaYamaoka »

This is going to solve your long and furious -guts and blood- debate if SH5 is good or bad. :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYZUhSeRYc
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

SasaYamaoka wrote:This is going to solve your long and furious -guts and blood- debate if SH5 is good or bad. :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYZUhSeRYc
:lol: Nice i love that song
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

NothingLikeSleep wrote:Homecoming may have been a disappointment to most but at least they didn't fuck around with the primary storyline of the series. Origins was a copy of a copy of a copy. Felt like I played that game a million times the first time I put it in. And Alex was easier to become attached to, Travis was cool but wasn't exactly lovable. I didn't care if he died or was raped by monsters.
Yeah travis was kind of bland and so was henry and james somewhat. come to think of it the only sh character i think i ever got really attached to was heather. but i did feel pretty bad for james.
ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ginjajacob »

I agree with Travis the story of Siren wasn't very good, but just imagine that combat system implemented in a Silent Hill game, I thought it made the atmosphere of the game was intense. Regardless of what people think of Homecomings combat (if good or bad) the majority would have to argee that it made the game less scary and put more power in the hands of the player, thus making the apprehension of coming events less scary.

It is also clear that they tried to move in the same direction as resident evil 4 and 5. My point is not that it was a worse combat system (however it was) but that, that style of combat in a survival horror game will lead to it being less scary. I think this is a key point Climax looked at when making SM.

In an ideal world I would love a silent hill game with the Siren game engine. (obviously without the sightjack and seperation of chapters). By the way who is making Siren :shock:

BEFORE PEOPLE START SAYING I DONT LIKE HOMECOMING BECAUSE ITS AN AMERICAN DEVELOPMENT TEAM, OR JAPANESE DEVELOPMENT TEAMS ARE BETTER I'M NOT.

All I am saying is that I would like a new Silent Hill on the PS3/XBOX 360 with the mechanics of Siren, I think reagards of story, Siren has done the best job of bringing the horror gaming genre to the next generation. I know it won't happen, be you can dream.