The woman in the Grand Hotel

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

woofy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by woofy »

No
HappySiam
Just Passing Through

Post by HappySiam »

fuck yer right. never mind
hi
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

Her voice WAS soothing, though. That little lullaby she sang, was both creepy and oddly soothing...hard to describe. =/
HappySiam
Just Passing Through

Post by HappySiam »

i know right. it was relieving to hear that instead of the tuba of close enemies music or death screams
hi
Dream_Demon
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Dream_Demon »

MMY wrote:>You talk to Alex's father in the confession, why not his mother as well?
Mary isn't Alex's mother.

The entire point of this sequence was to allude to Mary. The simple fact, however, is Mary is entirely absent from the game, and no amount of theorizing will suddenly manifest her.
I know. That's not what I was saying. I was saying I was looking for some points to Mary like the other theory, but found that it pointed more in the direction of being Alex's Mother instead. I put my thoughts in the wrong sequence of order when typing, so it didn't come out right, sorry about that. =P
Larson
Gravedigger

Post by Larson »

Isn't there an older topic about this woman? http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16826
Sorry. Don't have much else to say.
Mantorok Narokath Redgormor
Nocturnal_Blue
Just Passing Through

Post by Nocturnal_Blue »

DeMarcus wrote:When playing this game and coming up to that part, I became obsessed with who this mysterious woman was also. The first thing I thought of was Mary Shepherd-Sunderland and heres why;

* When we approach the woman in the Hotel she gives us her first hint, saying "No one comes to visit anymore", James didn't visit Mary in the hospital because the terminal disease she had altered her skin tone and made her seem less beautiful.
Next, she tells Alex its "hard to watch something die", possibly referencing to James murderering Mary (everyones played SH2, right?), and the guilt that followed (she was his wife, he still loved her and it was hard for him).
"You have a kind voice" then the almost sarcastic laugh follows. James was a kind person deep down, eventhough he killed his wife.

* The postcards;

Alchemilla - I long for the days before my illness overtook me. From my window I can see a large oak. The leaves are ablaze - yellow and red - and with each day more of them fall. When the sun is low, the shadows from its branches trail across my walls, but soon after the darkness fills the room. Please come and see me soon, I want to share one more memory with you, while I still can. Love always.

Tolcua Lake - I have some sad news to share, yesterday I took out a boat - as far as I could row - and I dipped my face into the cold, clear water. As I leaned over the side of the rowboat, my necklace caught on the oar and the chain snapped. I saw your precious gift slip into the blackness, I wanted to dive in after it, but the water was so icy so deep. Please forgive me, I miss you.

Lakeside Amusment Park - What a wonderful day, the smell of cotton candy and the sound of laughter filled the air. Days like this make me appreciate what it was like to be young and carefree. Family is the most important thing - and our children are the future. I only wish I could feel that innocent again. See you soon.

Alchemilla references Mary's stay at the hospital and her longing to see her husband, James, who never visited her as her condition seperated the two (she'd lash out at him) but she obviously still loved him and wanted to see him one more time before she left this world.
Tolcua references the lake the two would row out to together, it could also reference the "In Water" ending, eitherway its something James and Mary were connected to in their special place of Silent Hill. Also, Tolcua Lake was the same lake Josh drowned in.
Lakeside Amusment talks about being innocent and children, Mary obviously longed for a child as she wanted to adopt Laura (the little girl from SH2).

*The lullaby the woman sings could very well be a reference for Mary's longing to adopt Laura if things had turned out differently. Her longing for a child of her own; not to mention the theme for SHH is children.

*Alexs' last name is Shepherd, Mary's surname before she married James Sunderland was Shepherd as well. Maybe the two are connected somehow thats not been mentioned by either developers, but the fact the two share the same surname shouldn't be ignored or classed as a coincidence, likewise their meeting. Maybe the fact they share the same names is another strong reference for the identity of this mysterious woman.

*When Alex returns to give the woman the postcards, or her "memories" as she put it, theres a trail of bugs leading to her door. When a body has decomposed, flies are attracted to the smell, these bugs appear to have wings, whoever is behind that door could very well be dead and for how long...3 years?

My conclusion is that this mysterious woman IS in fact Mary from Silent Hill 2, all the points just scream this. But if this is Mary then it just raises another question; is Mary's soul still trapped inside Silent Hill or is it just a manifestation made up from the town itself? Guess we'll never really know.

Thoughts?

I hve to agree with this theory. I didnt notice it, but it seems you are very observant. :o Very interesting. Im going to look in to it more. I also though that she was going to expolde from the room and kill me when i gave her all her stuff. :/
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

The theory is wrong, if you had bothered to read the rest of the thread. For one thing, the woman was having an affair with Mayor Bartlett. For another, her name isn't "Mary."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Nocturnal_Blue
Just Passing Through

Post by Nocturnal_Blue »

AuraTwilight wrote:The theory is wrong, if you had bothered to read the rest of the thread. For one thing, the woman was having an affair with Mayor Bartlett. For another, her name isn't "Mary."
Ok, there is no reason to be rude about it. But I still think it may be, considering how many points in this game dont really connect. Her name could also have been an Alias she was using.
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

Regardless of whatever theory you happen to believe in any Silent Hill game, the fact that you don't need to be rude about disagreeing is far more important than whatever stance you take.

Seriously. People are different and we have different experiences in life. Thus, we often form different ideas, opinions, and thoughts from others. There is absolutely no reason to argue because of this.

Last thing I want to see if some kind of form based D vs R political craptasm :evil:
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I find it more rude to not read an entire thread before replying to it, nor was I attempting to insult or belittle you. If you're offended that easily over the internet, you need to develop thicker skin. And Silent One, you're seriously overreacting. Are you honestly comparing the last two posts to a political flame war?
Her name could also have been an Alias she was using.
It's not.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
neonblack
Hope House Careworker

Post by neonblack »

Aura wasn't being rude at all. It's somewhat sad that people find being told that they're wrong offensive.

And honestly, positing that this woman who has been identified, and thus named, ingame, is Mary requires some serious straw-grasping.
"Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man; and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
[size=84]The Gospel of Thomas, logion 7.[/size]
Nocturnal_Blue
Just Passing Through

Post by Nocturnal_Blue »

AuraTwilight wrote:I find it more rude to not read an entire thread before replying to it, nor was I attempting to insult or belittle you. If you're offended that easily over the internet, you need to develop thicker skin. And Silent One, you're seriously overreacting. Are you honestly comparing the last two posts to a political flame war?
Her name could also have been an Alias she was using.
It's not.
No, but it sounded like you were. And I agree about not reading the whole thread, but I often get on with my PSP, and it doesnt show everything. Like the links to the other pages. So sorry if I have an opinion or agree with another one because I could only read part of the thread. Sorry.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Nothing sounds like anything on the internet. If you take entirely neutral text and put an offensive spin on it, it's entirely your own fault.
Nocturnal_Blue
Just Passing Through

Post by Nocturnal_Blue »

Ok, well im not going to argue with you.
Noble Kale
Just Passing Through

Post by Noble Kale »

I never noticed anywhere in the game it saying that the woman behind the door is the same woman the notes refer to. The notes may just be setting up a reason for the mayor to be in the hotel. I still like the Mary theory. It could also be Maria which would explane why she is in silent hill.
This is the year when hope fails you
When the test subjects run the experiments
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The notes are found next to the photos that the woman claims are her "memories", and both the woman and the writer of the notes attended the same places and are associated with the same photos. It doesn't say it outloud, but it's super duper obvious.

Besides, why would Mary be at a hotel she never stayed at? Oh, and with a totally and completely different voice.
Noble Kale
Just Passing Through

Post by Noble Kale »

Possibly the Maria construct James created still stuck in the town trying to collect more of "her" memories. At this point all I'm saying is the theory is not impossible. Also it could just be a new voice actor.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

James either killed Maria, or she's with him wherever they went. She shouldn't be sitting with herself in a hotel James never went to, and she shouldn't be asking for photos and such involving an affair with a man who isn't James. It's not Mary or anyone like her.
Noble Kale
Just Passing Through

Post by Noble Kale »

Where would Maria and James go I was under the impression that they couldn't leave.