Pyramid Head and Sexuality

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

Pyramid Head's abuse of the Mannequins: Sexual or Not?

Sexual
82%
Non-Sexual
18%

Total votes: 147

Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Pyramid Head and Sexuality

Post by Yuki »

I'm starting this thread because I've seen several people state that Pyramid Head is not a sexual creature in nature, especially that he did not rape the Mannequins in his first appearance.

The thing is, in The Book of Lost Memories, under the Mannequin, it states that they are "A manifestation of James' natural urges and inclinations. Accordingly, it is abused by Pyramid Head."

Now, my question is, how can that not be conclusive to rape, or at least sexual abuse? Not only does he have the Mannequins backed up against the counter, their legs spread open as he forces into them, but the key word in that description is "accordingly"; BECAUSE the Mannequin represents James' "natural urges", Pyramid Head abuses them sexually.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Yuki on 10 Dec 2009, edited 1 time in total.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Natural urges = Violence.

Pyramid Head isn't raping anything. The angles are slightly suggestive, but it's our dirty minds that paint most of that picture. He's killing these monsters, and I believe it is so that James understands that they are obstacles to be disposed of, and not creatures to be pitied. Once James meets Maria, herself a monster (and the most important one at that), you never again see him assault a Lying Figure or a Mannequin. She, too, is a creature to be disposed of, and is more dangerous to James than anything else he encounters.

Violence manifests as a 'natural urge' in three ways for James: It is how he defends himself against harm, how he is to strike down Maria, the most powerful and dangerous manifestation of his delusion, and how he did strike down his wife.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>how can that not be conclusive to rape, or at least sexual abuse?
Natural urges/inclinations ≠ rape
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Not all abuse is sexual. Not all natural urges are sexual.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

But this subject is really strange, even if you guys say that PH is killing the monsters I still can't see how he's "only killing".
For example, some times ago I was talkin' in another thread about PH and the Lying Figure in the Stairwell room of the apartments; MMY said that PH was killing it while I was saying that PH was raping it too.
If he was not raping the Lying Figure, or any other monster, then why he does those moans just like he's having sex with the victim? Is this the way to show his pleasure for the killing? I don't know, like he's laughing or something?
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I dunno if I was there with you, but I mentioned at some point my confusion with the Lying Figure scene. If the LF weren't bent over, it would be facing PH. It can't be sexual because there's nowhere to penetrate: the LF's back is what's against PH's apron... unless you'd like to argue there's another hole on the LF's back.

Best I can figure, PH is breaking the LF's spine... slowly.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

>It can't be sexual because there's nowhere to penetrate

But sex is not about penetration only.

>Best I can figure, PH is breaking the LF's spine... slowly.

Yeah, MMY said that too. But it's indeed strange, I don't even know what to think. . .
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

It certainly doesn't help that PH seems to kill the mannequins with his manly aura. I don't even recall him touching the mannequin he was dragging when it started to move again. He just sorta... expressed his disapproval and it died.

Certainly adds to the inherent wrongness of Pyramid Head.

It might be useful to note that the Making of SH2 featurette (if I remember) talks about intertwining Eros and Thanatos... and, historically, erotic asphyxiation was initially witnessed in public hangings. I think PH is just straight killing the monsters (like Maria: it's the most expedient to his goal of punishing James for his delusion), but that doesn't mean the monsters can't take some kind of sexual "pleasure" from the act of dying.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Rape victims don't moan.

>But sex is not about penetration only.
Rape isn't about sex, either.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

If he's killing them, though, why doesn't he use the Great Knife like he does on you as well as Maria?
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

You can't deny he's killing them, since they end up dead. Whether he uses a weapon or not is insignificant (and, for the record, he never uses the Great Knife on Maria). I think a better question would be, "What purpose would raping the monsters serve?"
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

MMY wrote:Rape victims don't moan.

>But sex is not about penetration only.
Rape isn't about sex, either.
If rape isn't about sex (sometimes it is), it all has to do with power. PH raping the mannequin must also mean that he has power over all the other creatures.
Animals "rape" other animals just to let them know who is the boss in that territory.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Kenji wrote:You can't deny he's killing them, since they end up dead. Whether he uses a weapon or not is insignificant (and, for the record, he never uses the Great Knife on Maria). I think a better question would be, "What purpose would raping the monsters serve?"
No, I can't. What I meant by what I'd said earlier is, "Why would he kill them without using his Great Knife"? Instead, he grabs the Mannequin and forces its legs apart while thrusting; it certainly looks like rape to me.

And as Scarlet said, yes, rape is also about dominance; it seems like PH is asserting its dominance over the monsters of Silent Hill.
alone in the town

If you believe he is 'raping' the monsters, why does he stop doing it early in the game?
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I'm unsure, honestly, but from what I remember, I didn't see him interacting with any other monsters after his initial appearance, save for Maria.
alone in the town

That's why I don't think it's rape.

If you think he's simply killing/torturing the monsters, his behavior is consistent. He stops killing mannequins and Lying Figures because he is now focused on a more important monster.

Conversely, he never tries to slip Maria the stiff one-eye.
Zrash
Just Passing Through

Post by Zrash »

Tough question. I think it's rape and it's one of pyramid head's methods of torture, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and point of view.

But to be honest, if Pyramid Head was forcing his body on those mannequins in an attempt to kill them, then I'm starting to question Mr. Pyramid Head's intelligence.
[img]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w103/redegg14/hhh.gif[/img]
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

Have you guys considered the short film "Fukuro" in Lost memories:Art & music of SH dvd? That's somehow sexual imo, & the fact that PH is the central figure in it...Well, I think 'natural urges' in the game means somewhere between sexuality & violence.

VOTED: Sexual
Last edited by Returbuliz on 10 Dec 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

alone in the town wrote:That's why I don't think it's rape.

If you think he's simply killing/torturing the monsters, his behavior is consistent. He stops killing mannequins and Lying Figures because he is now focused on a more important monster.

Conversely, he never tries to slip Maria the stiff one-eye.
I definitely see your point.

The thing is, though... well, it was said that the Mannequins representing James' natural urges mean violence. I've not heard of violence as a natural urge; that usually implies sex when I've heard it. Furthermore, why are the Mannequins simply two pairs of legs? If they were meant to represent James' urge for violence (which, it seems he's not predisposed toward it; Mary was the only time, and that was because he went somewhat crazy when she was dying, if I remember correctly), why aren't they more... well, more violent-looking?
Darkness Concept
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Darkness Concept »

^I would agree that at least as far as appearances are concerned, the mannequins seem to exude sexuality more so than violence.
There Was a Hole Here...
[img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a344/octaveorange/waiting.jpg[/img]
It's Gone Now.