Anyone else experience a glitch?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

The Red Devil
Just Passing Through

Anyone else experience a glitch?

Post by The Red Devil »

I searched for a topic relating specifically to this game and any glitches and didn't come up with any.

Has anyone else experienced some sort of glitch in game that has not allowed them to continue on or even save your game?

I was in this place (place 1 from here on out so as to avoid spoilers), and I was literally at the end of a nightmare sequence and I had received a voice message on my phone. Naturally I listened to it. At the end of listening to it, my game glitched and I wasn't able to interact with the environment, use my phone, or even move my flash light. I started walking around the room and mashing buttons when I caught a glimpse of my arm floating in front of my face holding my phone, but I wasn't able to interact with that either. Needless to say, I was screwed and had to restart my game, which put me about an hour back thanks to my lack of saving.

To avoid this on your run through, whenever you're listening to something, try to just stay in one place or move very little or do very little whilst listening to your phone. You could have the same problem I did and not be able to continue without restarting.

Any more glitches and (maybe) useful tips to avoid said glitches?
EDH
Erectile Dis-function Highlander
"THERE CAN ONLY BE NONE!"
Ratiocinator
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ratiocinator »

I experienced the same glitch. It happened when I tried to open said door WHILE listening to the messages. Copied from a post I made over at SHC:

Game glitched twice causing me to hard reset the Wii

With freezing glitches I'm getting the chills of SH Homecoming all over again.

On my first playthrough there was a staticy-grainy "emotion item" you could find to make a new message. It happened to be next to the gymnasium door I had to go into. So, as I'm trying to hone on the the "emotion item" (the heart-shaped balloon) I accidentally open the door instead. The game freezes making a loud, awful noise non-stop until I reset my Wii.

On my second playthrough I received two new messages at the same time in the Nightmare version of the Gymnasium (where you take the 3 paparazzi pics), all-the-while I was tapping "A" on a door to open, while I was listening to the message, to see what would happen. After hearing the message, Harry puts down the phone. However, I can't control the flashlight nor pull out my phone anymore. I can't open doors or nothing. I'm essentially stuck in a room with no way out.

You know when Harry is so close to the camera he "fades" out? Well, when this happened and I was close to the camera he fades out like normal but I see a second arm holding his phone but when he fades back in he isn't holding the phone anymore. So it thinks I'm using the phone while I'm not using the phone. I had to reset the Wii.*

*Didn't save to the point and have to replay it all over from the start. Awesome.

Before casting final judgements I'm doing a second playthrough since I now know what to look out for (with a very intriguing ending, by the way). But had to point out these glitches.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

I've had a few run-ins with the phone glitch, but that only happened on a friend's Wii; the only issue with mine was that I wound up with some "Loading..." bits at the second-to-last chase scene. For the most part, the game is relatively glitch-free, it seems, aside from the weird freezing.
heroicxspace
Just Passing Through

Post by heroicxspace »

Not related to freezing, but a glitch nonetheless...
On my second play through (an overwrite of my first completed game) I had sound glitches during several cutscenes, which resulted in really loud static and screaming (similar to when you approach the various frozen figures to trigger messages) being played over the dialogue. It usually didn't last the entire length of the scene (starting late or ending early) and didn't cause any other problems with the game. I'm not sure yet if it will continue throughout future play throughs.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

what is it with newer games freezing these days? i mean aren't newer games supposed to have less problems than older games? i have fight night round 4 and it freezes at the end of the same match in my legacy mode so i can't go any farther. I know its not the same game im just sayin what the hell is up with games these days.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

That happened to me too.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I was at the end of the hospital nightmare sequence, then you get a puzzle involving a gumball machine. After listening to the message, I couldn't move the flashlight, or take out my phone :\. I had to restart.
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

Someone who knows exactly how this glitch is triggered should contact Climax to let them know about this. This seems like something they would want to patch right away, since the phone is so integral to the game. The Wii allows developers to release patches doesn't it?
Ratiocinator
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ratiocinator »

@ simeonalo
Same place it glitched for the second time on me, too.

Again, I believe it's when you try to interact with something (like the door or items) WHILE on the phone... and only in this particular room.
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

I don't think I glitched, but towards the end of the game there are a couple of very dark rooms, somehow ran off into the darkness and got completely lost and had to restart.
SGTCOOL
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SGTCOOL »

I've heard of the completely dark room glitch ur-vile. I've beaten the game four times and ran into the phone glitch only once at the locked gymnasium door, and had to restart the game thanks to not saving. (which I didn't mind since I enjoy playing this game a hell of a lot.) These glitches aren't rampant and this isn't a broken game. I recommend just saving fairly often. It only takes a few seconds. That way if a glitch happens there's just the slight inconvenience of resetting the game. The load times are extremely fast so it's not that big of a deal. Also to my knowledge wii games can't be patched, so what we got is likely the final version.
Jecht
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Jecht »

I'm pretty sure games are allowed to be patched but developers don't put the things in that is needed to do it. It's not like Live or PSN where there's a unified online. Reflex has a setup that they can do micro-patches that download when you sign online. I'm sure they could have done the same thing with this game.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I had the glitch once with the gumball machine, and once with the levers for the bridge.
Endri
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Endri »

Ugh, I experienced a glitch. In the school puzzle, the one you move the objects. One of the duck statues fell into the ground, so there was noway to pickup it back. Therefore, technically, I was unable to procceed, if not for the fact that I already knew the answer for the puzzle. My advice? Don't try to put objects ontop of other objects. They quite don't go along... very well...
http://endri.webs.com
[spoiler]Harry's name isn't Harry. Harry is just a nickname. His name is Harrold.
James' actual occupation is clerk.
Heather smoked until the age of 17.
EDIT - INFLAMATORY - T.
Travis is virgin.
Alex's a uninteresting character.

The bushes in the original SMB are also the clouds.

artic[b]UNO[/b], zap[b]DOS[/b], mol[b]TRES[/b][/spoiler]
Jecht
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Jecht »

I had a glitch where I couldnt move my flashlight or take out my phone. I had to reset the system
Clyde
Just Passing Through

Post by Clyde »

Also experienced the "Floating Arm" at the end of the mall Otherworld sequence. I was able to turn my flashlight on and off, but was unable to do anything else. Had to reset my Wii and go through the chase again.

Wasn't too much of a hassle though, since I found the mall's Otherworld sequence to be one of the easiest to get around. This was the only occurrence of a glitch that I've found in the game so far.
The Red Devil
Just Passing Through

Post by The Red Devil »

Baha it seems to happen right before or after a nightmare sequence. SAVE YOUR GAME OFTEN. The fact that there is no Auto Save kinda sucks, considering at least 90% of games have some sort of auto-save feature, so you forget that you actually need to go into the phone and save your game.
EDH
Erectile Dis-function Highlander
"THERE CAN ONLY BE NONE!"
heroicxspace
Just Passing Through

Post by heroicxspace »

I just glitched out hardcore! I was running through the nightmare sequence at the apartments/Harry's house/nowhere (after the first long fall, but before the second), when I busted through a door into total darkness. At first I thought it was one of those long dark hallways that leads to the exit door, but there was nothing in front of me. My flashlight and zoom were still working at this point, so I did a 360 and noticed that there, floating above me and off to one side, was the whole mess of hallways/doors/rooms/LEVEL, just chillin'. I literally fell off the grid. When I tried to run around down where I was Harry disappeared and everything stopped showing up on the screen, there was just sound and those static lines at the top and bottom of the screen that indicate health. Luckily, I was able to operate Harry's (now invisible) cellphone to save my game (the save dialogue appeared normally) and on a reload I was back at the start of the same nightmare chase sequence.
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

I got the glitch that was previously mentioned, the floating hand, looks ridiculous.

Also on my second playthrough when I approached the Midwich gym my Wii made the most annoying sound I have ever heard in my life... It was like wannnnnnnnnnnnnanananaananananan. Couldn't do anything on the screen, but I could open up the HOME menu for some reason.

Had to restart and I lost all that progress back to the start...
WolfSiberia
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by WolfSiberia »

I got that arm glitch in the Principals office, and the "Corrupted Gallery" glitch at the hospital.
November 30, 2009 - R.I.P. Akira Yamaoka's career. Goodnight Sweet Prince.
[spoiler]Its mentioned in the play novel that Heather's birthday is April 20th...
Which is my birthday, weed day, and Hitler's birthday.[/spoiler]
Summerteeth
Just Passing Through

Post by Summerteeth »

The only problem I've had so far is the completely dark room in the apartment nightmare. I was still getting static noises/visuals when I pointed the flashlight in different directions, so I thought it was intentional and tried to 'follow the static'. After running blindly for 3 or 4 minutes without making any progress, I realized it was a problem!

Fortunately, I saved a lot so I didn't lose much progress. Unfortunately, when I loaded up the save and retried, it happened again.