Yahoo Games "worst videogame movies" Silent Hill

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Actually, I thought AitD was better than Bloodrayne. Though that really isn't saying much :lol:
cascade88
Historical Society Historian

Post by cascade88 »

Ah, forgot about Bloodrayne. Those are both particularly bad. xD
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
Chauncey
Just Passing Through

Post by Chauncey »

Silent Hill is my all-time favorite movie, and I hate most movies, period. Screw these guys, I bet they've never even played the games, and probably too dim-witted to figure out the complexity of it and see the beauty of it. Seriously there's been only 3 movies I've ever liked in my life, and Silent Hill is one of them, right next Charily and the Chocolate Factory and The Dark Knight. Or maybe I just have bad taste in movies. But no seriously Yahoo anything has always been the bad version of anything. I already hate Yahoo because anytime I update or download anything I always have to uncheck "WOOD U LIEK TEH UMAZING YAHOO TEWL BARH I PROMIS YOU'LL LUB IT AND IT ONLY TAKES ABOOT HALF YOUR SCREEN UP LOOOOOOOL" ಠ_ಠ /rant
Sorry, I just find a new reason to hate Yahoo every day
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

^ :lol: I love your rant that you have goin there,
though seriously, if you look at the making of the movie, the way they make all the scenes and the way they make the monsters is pretty amazing and I like the movie mainly due to the way they engineered the whole thing :mrgreen:
^^
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

cascade88 wrote:Ah, forgot about Bloodrayne. Those are both particularly bad. xD
Not to mention House of the dead =\
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

sumcaker wrote:^ :lol: I love your rant that you have goin there,
though seriously, if you look at the making of the movie, the way they make all the scenes and the way they make the monsters is pretty amazing and I like the movie mainly due to the way they engineered the whole thing :mrgreen:
Agreed. It's a perfect movie for anyone who likes the games, and all my pals who've never played love the movie (and they aren't brain-dead...most of them)
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Chauncey wrote: Seriously there's been only 3 movies I've ever liked in my life, and Silent Hill is one of them, right next Charily and the Chocolate Factory and The Dark Knight. Or maybe I just have bad taste in movies.
Those are three of my favorite films too! You don't have bad taste at all...unless we both have bad taste haha.

To be fair though the only complaint Yahoo had was the complexity of the story, but that doesn't make it a bad film.
Chauncey
Just Passing Through

Post by Chauncey »

Mr.FLOOT wrote:To be fair though the only complaint Yahoo had was the complexity of the story, but that doesn't make it a bad film.
So basically they said "OONGA NO LIKE FIRE!" :3
Seriously if they're too ignorant to not look deeper then what things appear then they shouldn't be watching movies, since movies are known for having story lines. Personally I loved what happened at the end, even when I didn't understand it when I watched it. It made me wonder what happened and I tried to figure it out. Maybe they're just used to having all the answers being handed to them...
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

I don't think they're criticizing the "complex plot" because... well, it was a pathetic attempt to make one.
Deathbywoodenplank
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Deathbywoodenplank »

I understand where they might be going with it on the confusing part. Silent Hill (in my opinion) was in no way a bad movie. I love it and have watched it countless times. It's actually one of my favorite movies...

Anyway, I have to admit that I wasn't really into Silent Hill before the movie came out. I heard a lot of good things about the games but never really got my hands on them. That said, I watched the movie for the first time kind of from their perspective; I had no idea what they were talking about. But the plot was SO INVITING! I researched that mofo for 2 months straight. I went to sites, watched movies, logged into blogs, and finally played the games. I owe my entire fan-dom to the movie. I think people don't like it because people don't want to put any effort into understanding a movie. It's a lot of fun having to break down all of the metaphors and symbolism; it's what makes it a true work of art. True, the movie is a little cliche'd and a little hard to figure out, but it's that mysterious feeling you get that makes it so damn awesome 8)

This movie damn well does NOT deserve a spot on that list.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath
the REAPER came today.
An ANGEL visited this gray path,
and took the CUBE away.
Kairu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Kairu »

I don't like the Silent Hill movie not for its complexity (in my opinion the story is a basterdised version of SH1 with pyramid head and gore thrown in for the hell of it) but because it's poorly edited, had unnecessary changes, and bad dialogue. I would of prefered the movie to be its own thing, having a unique story and its own personality, not just a bunch of things thrown in from all the games out of context.
Darklighter
Just Passing Through

Post by Darklighter »

The movie introduced me into the series, thats why I love it, I didn´t even knew that Silent Hill existed until I saw the movie, it leved me with curiosity and I discovered that Silent Hill is actually a survival horror frinchise O.O I was stunt!

Since then I have been a Silent Hill Fan
Find your self, in the town that takes ALL...
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

The movie was atrocious. Better game to movie pots are out there, including the first Mortal Kombat movie. However, how Silent Hill made the list that seemed to forget about a horrible Doom film is beyond me. Either way, I'm still waiting for someone to do a real video game to movie transition properly.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
0o0SiLeNtKiLL0o0
Just Passing Through

Post by 0o0SiLeNtKiLL0o0 »

I didn't think it was that bad. I'm pretty sure they put it there because of the whole different storyline, like in Homecoming/0rigins. All in all, I don't think it deserves a spot on that list.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

paladin181 wrote:The movie was atrocious.
It wasn't that bad.

paladin181 wrote:how Silent Hill made the list that seemed to forget about a horrible Doom film is beyond me.

Amen to that.

paladin181 wrote:Either way, I'm still waiting for someone to do a real video game to movie transition properly.
The closest they've come would indisputably be the first Mortal Kombat.

Kairu wrote:I don't like the Silent Hill movie not for its complexity (in my opinion the story is a basterdised version of SH1 with pyramid head and gore thrown in for the hell of it) but because it's poorly edited, had unnecessary changes, and bad dialogue.
This is a perfect summarization of all the things wrong with the movie. It's not a bad movie, afterall, but it pales in comparison to the games. The shitty writing is the biggest nail in the movie's coffin, but if one can look beyond that (even though it's quite hard...) they can see that it is a good movie, just not a great movie as it should have been.

But, as I've said before, we, as fans of the videogame series, are lucky to have this movie. It's not even close to as bad or mishandled as most vg movies, and we were lucky to get a director who is passionate about the games, even though he can't see that Roger Avery is a twit. The only game-to-movie that has a more accurate plot adaptation and the same perfectly reproduced aesthetics would be, once again, Mortal Kombat.

When you look at all of the horrendous videogame adaptations there have been, it's easy to see how Silent Hill didn't suffer too much.

And to those who think this movie is as horrible as it can get for Silent Hill, read the comics (have a barf-bag near by).
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

I here Uwe Boll still wants to make a SH movie. My guess is it will have zombies and pay homage solely to the UFO theme of the joke endings of the games.
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

IMO, this is a bad movie.

Yeah. The graphics were awesome. But its plot is so underdeveloped, ridiculous and unoriginal that this is not just a bad Silent Hill plot but also just a bad plot.

I agree that this is the best videogame adaptation so far, but it doesn't take down the effect that it's a bad adaptation and a really bad movie.

Everything here is just my opinion though-
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'm gonna have to disagree. I don't see why people keep saying this movie has bad acting/writing/script/plot. It's not bad, it's just not great.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

Opinions are opinions anyway. I saw the movie before playing any Silent Hill game, and honestly I just played them because a friend of mine said they were pretty good and each game had an amazing plot. I was skeptical because, well, the movie was just bad. And all that is my humble opinion.

For me the plot of the movie was ridiculous, unoriginal and boring. That plus the writting, that was awful, for me. I would only save a little bit of the acting and the special effects.

I tried to enjoy the movie, and I did as somebody who knew nothing about the series... nothing good or interesting. In my opinon, a good movie are the ones that really makes you get into it, and a good writting would make you really care about the characters. I never felt it in this movie. I never felt a connection with Alessa, or Cybil, or Dahlia, or Rose, or anyone else. I really never cared for whatever happened to them.

Then I saw it already being a fan of the series. It only made it worse.

I would have passed the series if my friend had not been so intense... though I really appreciate her for doing it.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't know, then. Me, my brother, and my mother all really enjoyed it when we saw it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]