References to other SH games...

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

References to other SH games...

Post by Whitney »

I'm trying to take screens and clips of the references to other Silent Hill games for my website. Are there any I've missed that you guys know of? I still need to take caps of many but I've made a short list at the bottom of ones I'll have up in the future.

http://shshatteredmemories.com/homages- ... ent-hills/

Thanks for your help!
My Websites!
Image Image Image
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

Awesome finds so far, My favourite so far would be the tie and the art portraits of Harry :mrgreen:
^^
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

Don't forget the Flauros in the UFO Ending.
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

^Some people are actually saying that the Flauros is the Triforce from Zelda :shock:
Why would the Triforce thing be in a Silent Hill game!

People these days...
^^
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

sumcaker wrote:^Some people are actually saying that the Flauros is the Triforce from Zelda :shock:
Why would the Triforce thing be in a Silent Hill game!

People these days...
I've seen that. It's not even the same color.
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

Yuki wrote:Don't forget the Flauros in the UFO Ending.
Yep didn't forget that one it was hard to miss :)
My Websites!
Image Image Image
Apocali
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apocali »

If it counts the Holes as well as the Labyrinth, both from 2. And if it also counts. the sewer access to getting to Lakeside from the original game.
Last edited by Apocali on 10 Jan 2010, edited 1 time in total.
KM
Just Passing Through

Post by KM »

If you're doing audio clips: Ringtone #4 being (the beginning of) the theme from the original Silent Hill.

I didn't even realize that myself until randomly singing it out loud. :P
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

A small nit-pick; Isn’t the “dead dog” graffiti close to the playground? If so, it’s probably a reference to the dog’s head in the basketball court. Also, you find a key in the dogs head, here you find the key in a can located above the graffiti.

Pretty good so far. Also this games is basically almost completely parallel to SH1:
You crash, meet Cybil in 5to2 (52 in SHSM), go to the Levin house, end up in Midwich, go to Balkans to meet Dahlia, go to the draw bridge, then to Alchemilla to meet Lisa, etc.

There are more references too:

Dahlia owns a shop called “Green Lion” in both games.

In both SH1 and SHSM Dahlia gives her daughter to the care of Michael Kaufmann.

Dahlia is similar to SH2’s Maria. As she dies, but reappears, unharmed. Both are also flirts, representing sexuality (in part). In SH2, Maria came from James’s repressed libido and desire to be able to be with Mary again, in SHSM Dahlia sprouts from Cheryl’s Electra complex, fulfilling for her fantasy of sleeping with her father for her.

Both Cheryl Heather Mason and Alessa Gillespie collect butterflies.

Both Cheryl Heather Mason and Alessa Gillespie are forced to endure a Carrie-like treatment in school. Humiliated, bullied and shunned, but never physically attacked from what we can gather.

The mall stabbing incident is a likely reference to SH3’s bad ending, or to Vincent’s “They look like monsters to you?”- joke. While, Cheryl didn’t think Malcom was a monster, Heather did kill monsters in the mall, so this could be a what-if scenario.

I believe there is a sketchbook in the junkyard Harry crashed in, he’ll comment “It’s not Cheryl’s”.

The missing cat poster may be a reference to the locker cat from SH1.

Lisa comments about self medication being the only thing she likes about her job, and it being what keeps her going, possibly a reference to the original Lisa’s drug habit.

That’s all I can think of right now.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

I never would have thought about the tie being on the bear. Ha, nice.

Anyway, it's awesome of you to compile all of this. Thanks. :)
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

Aren't there any Silent Hill 4 references? "Henry's on the Lake" sign in the fishing place in the woods? Probably not, that's pretty loose.
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

Apocali wrote:If it counts the Holes as well as the Labyrinth, both from 2. And if it also counts. the sewer access to getting to Lakeside from the orginal game.
Jumping down the holes into the abyss of course! Thank you :)
KM wrote:If you're doing audio clips: Ringtone #4 being (the beginning of) the theme from the original Silent Hill.

I didn't even realize that myself until randomly singing it out loud. :P
Ooo cool I'll have to check that out! Thanks!
Arsonist wrote:A small nit-pick; Isn’t the “dead dog” graffiti close to the playground? If so, it’s probably a reference to the dog’s head in the basketball court. Also, you find a key in the dogs head, here you find the key in a can located above the graffiti.

Pretty good so far. Also this games is basically almost completely parallel to SH1:
You crash, meet Cybil in 5to2 (52 in SHSM), go to the Levin house, end up in Midwich, go to Balkans to meet Dahlia, go to the draw bridge, then to Alchemilla to meet Lisa, etc.

There are more references too:

Dahlia owns a shop called “Green Lion” in both games.

In both SH1 and SHSM Dahlia gives her daughter to the care of Michael Kaufmann.

Dahlia is similar to SH2’s Maria. As she dies, but reappears, unharmed. Both are also flirts, representing sexuality (in part). In SH2, Maria came from James’s repressed libido and desire to be able to be with Mary again, in SHSM Dahlia sprouts from Cheryl’s Electra complex, fulfilling for her fantasy of sleeping with her father for her.

Both Cheryl Heather Mason and Alessa Gillespie collect butterflies.

Both Cheryl Heather Mason and Alessa Gillespie are forced to endure a Carrie-like treatment in school. Humiliated, bullied and shunned, but never physically attacked from what we can gather.

The mall stabbing incident is a likely reference to SH3’s bad ending, or to Vincent’s “They look like monsters to you?”- joke. While, Cheryl didn’t think Malcom was a monster, Heather did kill monsters in the mall, so this could be a what-if scenario.

I believe there is a sketchbook in the junkyard Harry crashed in, he’ll comment “It’s not Cheryl’s”.

The missing cat poster may be a reference to the locker cat from SH1.

Lisa comments about self medication being the only thing she likes about her job, and it being what keeps her going, possibly a reference to the original Lisa’s drug habit.

That’s all I can think of right now.
I plan to go into the parallels to between both Harry's treks and where and how they met people in my SHSM vs SH section :) (expand on this: http://shshatteredmemories.com/shsm-off ... ectations/). There's a whole lot similarities between the two games despite what many believe.

For the homages section though I'm going to keep it to the more subtle visual and audio clues that people could potentially miss.

I forgot about the basketball dog lol you guys think it's a better connection? I was thinking since Harry passed by the dead dog before meeting Cybil it was a reference to that bloody mess in the original.

I wasn't sure if the notebook in the salvage yard was a big enough nod...but since you thought it was too I think I'll add it in. I was worried it would bee too much of a stretch!

Good eye with the mall stabbing...I thought maybe it could connect to SH3 but was having trouble figuring a way to connect the two. Making the parallel between Heather fighting monsters in the mall and later hurting a private detective is good!

I already have the butterfly connection... I just need a good screen shot :)

Dahlia as Maria is a great nod! Same goes with the Lisa abusing medication!

Thanks!
My Websites!
Image Image Image
DarkMatter
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DarkMatter »

Nice list!

It might be nothing but at the start of the game you can inspect a toilet that looks like it could be backed up and Harry makes a noise of disgust if you look at it. A possible reference to a-not-so-disgusted James who didn't hesitate to stick his arm down a toilet?
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

In the UFO Ending, if I'm not wrong, on the table there is a paper that has "Dog House" written on it.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

I know in the UFO ending there's James, and after James closes the door, when Dr. K says "Come to think of it, I haven't seen his wife lately", to the far left, Mary's (Maria's) demon form is hanging in the corner
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

I was surprised that the two phone numbers you can call on Henry's phone in Silent Hill 4 didn't work in this game. It would have been cool, as well as an obvious reference for the developers to make.
QuestionSleepZz
Gravedigger

Post by QuestionSleepZz »

paladin181 wrote:I know in the UFO ending there's James, and after James closes the door, when Dr. K says "Come to think of it, I haven't seen his wife lately", to the far left, Mary's (Maria's) demon form is hanging in the corner
Holy Crap! How on earth did you notice that!? O_o
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

Escapist wrote:In the UFO Ending, if I'm not wrong, on the table there is a paper that has "Dog House" written on it.
I didn't see that! I'll have to re-watch the video!
paladin181 wrote:I know in the UFO ending there's James, and after James closes the door, when Dr. K says "Come to think of it, I haven't seen his wife lately", to the far left, Mary's (Maria's) demon form is hanging in the corner
I know :) it's on my list at the bottom. I just need to take some caps! I hope to get it on today or tomorrow.
My Websites!
Image Image Image
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

Oh god, there is more on the UFO Ending. Where Kaufman usually puts his drinks, when he has already transformed into an alien, you can clearly see a pocket flashlight just like the one in the first games :D

And is that a health drink? lol
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I don't see that at all. I can see the drinks behind Kaufmann and the poster, but no Demon Maria.