What scared you about SM?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

thathotel
Just Passing Through

What scared you about SM?

Post by thathotel »

Because my stomach didn't turn. I didn't get chills down my spine, and my legs didn't feel paralyzed playing it.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

The chase scenes were the only times I was ever scared playing a Silent Hill game, ever.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Drainage64 »

The chase scenes....and the woods strangely enough.
-=Let's Positive thinking=-
Terminus
Gravedigger

Post by Terminus »

The chase scenes were certainly scary. I scared myself by using the evasion points(under the benches and in the closets/cabinets); I would get really nervous hoping they wouldn't find Harry. Usually they work for me, so when they actually found him and grabbed him it would catch me off-guard.

I also got startled on my last play-through when the Raw-shocks started cracking open the doors and reaching around them to grab Harry when he tried to open the doors. I didn't know that they could do that.

Most of the fear in the nightmares was from hoping not to get spotted. It was the same nervous dread that you got in the old games, when you didn't know what might be shambling around the next corner.
Last edited by Terminus on 14 Jan 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Conte
Just Passing Through

Post by Conte »

Honestly, nothing 'scared' me about Silent Hill Shattered Memories.

I was disturbed by some events and sequences, but I was never downright scared. Scared, in my opinion, is when you jump out of your seat. That's the kind of feeling I get from playing survival-horror games with 'monster closets'.

However, the game did 'slightly' scare me a few times. I don't know if it's just me, but sometimes when I play a survival-horror game the way the monsters look greatly bothers me. If one of those monsters 'touches me', I tend to get freaked. This happened in a few of the chase sequences when I started to get very peculiar looking Raw-Shocks.

But yeah, that's the only time I was actually 'scared'. Silent Hill games don't scare me, they disturb me - and that's how I like it.
LuLu
Gravedigger

Post by LuLu »

I was scared by the little ghost girls (don't know what they're called at the moment :P ). I almost ALWAYS jumped when one ran in front of me.
"It's a bit far... but closer than heaven!"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Lulu, according to the Silent Hill wiki, they're called Larval Stalkers. Don't know how "official" that is though.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
overachiever547
Gravedigger

Post by overachiever547 »

Larval Stalkers were so cute back in the first game. I hated how they'd activate my radio, but they were so harmless and did nothing but fall over. Adorable!

They're less so in SM. lol
Hurm...
Weyoun
Just Passing Through

Post by Weyoun »

Did anyone else think of Peter Pan and his shadow when the Larval Stalker made its appearances throughout the game?

Anyway, the part with the car underwater made me feel a little uncomfortable. I'm a little claustrophobic and the thought of drowning/suffocating scares me.
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

For me I was only felt on edge going through the dark the woods the first time. It's the only time I can remember being on edge during any game really but I think it's because I really, really, really hate being in the woods at night (hey I just found the phobia name: Nyctohylophobia).
My Websites!
Image Image Image
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

The chase scenes and any scene where they had that eerie sound effect playing (the one that sounded like a gate swinging open and shut). Also, the fact that my real-life environment almost exactly matched the game environment (not the nightmare sequences, just the snowy atmosphere ones and the town I live in).
vanbakura
Just Passing Through

Post by vanbakura »

I'd say, being trapped in a sinking car was the scariest part. Especially when the Raw Shock appears at the window, I wasn't really expecting them to show up.
vanbakura.deviantart.com
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

The chase scenes, especially the more confusing ones, actually kept me more tense than Silent Hill 2's disturbing visuals, Homecoming's tense combat, etc. As a whole, the game isn't as creepy, but the actual chases were the most scared I've been out of all SH games. Come to think of it, all SH creep me out, but don't scare me. So I applaud the game for scaring me. Also, I remember towards the beginning when you're in the woods, before I realized the nightmare sequences were scripted, I was just waiting for the transition every corner I turned, lol.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
QuestionSleepZz
Gravedigger

Post by QuestionSleepZz »

I wasn't scared per say, but I was worried that a Raw Shock would get me because of how "Clunky" the contols where sometimes. I had a hard time shaking them off. :P
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

The Nightmare sequences really nevver scared me... only a few bits in Nowhere during my last playthrough, but because some Raw Shocks suddenly grabbed Harry and I had not seen them before.

I felt extremely disturbed in the cinema though, during my first playthrough. I turned off the flashlight and I got lost witihin the chairs and I couldn't find the exit line. You have no idea what is having to watch the face of a horrible woman while a weird voice says creppy things. I lasted there for like two minutes, and I remember only thinking "oh shit get me the fuck out of here please!!!".

But overall I never felt that disturbed in other parts, neither in my replays. One of my big complaints about this game is that only in that part was where I felt totally disturbed like in the older games.
Leesers
Just Passing Through

Post by Leesers »

I suppose "scared" isn't the best word for it, but one part that definitely weirded me out was the phone call while unlocking the door in the Art Room/ Planetarium.

I called many of the numbers I came across during my first play through and it was almost always a recording or automated system (except, of course, for when you wake up the bridge controller). My first time through I had the Art Room available and definitely stopped for a moment when that voice simply whispered "door's open", hung up, and then you hear the loud click.

Silly, I know, but it still had me thinking.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/Leesers/Live%20Journal/shforum_sig.jpg[/img]
.: [url=http://www.alysepoole.com/]Portfolio[/url] : [url=http://leesers.deviantart.com/]DA[/url] : [url=http://silenthillsketch.blogspot.com/]Fanart Blog[/url] : [url=http://www.cosplay.com/costumes/m31732/]Costumes[/url] :.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Leesers wrote:I suppose "scared" isn't the best word for it, but one part that definitely weirded me out was the phone call while unlocking the door in the Art Room/ Planetarium.

I called many of the numbers I came across during my first play through and it was almost always a recording or automated system (except, of course, for when you wake up the bridge controller). My first time through I had the Art Room available and definitely stopped for a moment when that voice simply whispered "door's open", hung up, and then you hear the loud click.

I agree with this... though I found the Art Room call more intimidating than the Planetarium. "Calling Little Bear" just isn't as creepy as "Calling Shadows".
DarkMatter
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by DarkMatter »

I don't think "scaring" people is really what Shattered Memories was going for, but more to disturb, creep out, and get inside the player's head. Which I think I did a very good job with.

That said, the chase sequences were pretty intense. Oh, and calling the number in the Art Room and hearing the door click open made me jump, haha.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yuki wrote:
Leesers wrote:I suppose "scared" isn't the best word for it, but one part that definitely weirded me out was the phone call while unlocking the door in the Art Room/ Planetarium.

I agree with this... though I found the Art Room call more intimidating than the Planetarium. "Calling Little Bear" just isn't as creepy as "Calling Shadows".
Ditto. Little Bear just made me think of that old Nick Jr. cartoon. "LITTLE BEAR <3 :D"
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

Haha, yeah, after finishing the Art Room puzzle and having a brief chat with Shadows, I decided that was a good place to stop for the night. Very well done, especially with the way the ambient music stopped after the door click.

And I agree with everyone who was scared in the chase scenes, those sequences fucked me up. They didn't just scare me, they often evoked that adrenaline-pumping, near-mindless state of panic I get when I suffer bad nightmares. They left me a shaken mess. Fucking fantastic.