Anyone else draw your escape routes using the phone map???

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

I was a little frustrated the first couple of times in Nightmare, but when I got to
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Midwich Highshool
It occured to me that the drawing feature actually had a practical use... so as I got to a ceratain point I would goto full screen map, and draw my path (which was a purlple line)

I felt that this was a feature that could have been used much more in the game...

Nonetheless... amazing game!!!
The current progress of my Silent Hill pinball (video) game can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/aMklvWiUqhY
WolfSiberia
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by WolfSiberia »

I was too busy being raped by female Raw Shocks.
November 30, 2009 - R.I.P. Akira Yamaoka's career. Goodnight Sweet Prince.
[spoiler]Its mentioned in the play novel that Heather's birthday is April 20th...
Which is my birthday, weed day, and Hitler's birthday.[/spoiler]
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

Heh, same here but they seemed to leave me alone when I was in the Full Screen map mode...

simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

It actually draws itself for you sometimes, I know it does it during Alchemilla Hospital.
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

I tried to do this a little bit, but mostly I just looked for the end point and tried to aim myself in that general direction.
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

I really liked being able to write my own notes on the map.

If they ever do a Silent Hill in the "old style" I would appreciate this feature to be intact, rather than writing down whatever the character writes down automatically.
heroicxspace
Just Passing Through

Post by heroicxspace »

My GPS showed my escape route automatically during the chase sequences (in transparent purple), but I think I might have done something to turn it on. Anything I drew showed up in black. It was really helpful to have my route to refer to during my first couple of play throughs because it showed me when I was running in circles. I just wish they had allowed you to run with the GPS out for real-time navigation!
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

Uh.... guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but the PURPLE line that GPS draws is not the way out.... its the path you currently traveled!

That's why I said when a Nightmare began, the map was empty, and I would run, but once I got to a far enough point (and felt safe enough) I would go to full map screen and see my progress in PURPLE! I would THEN draw my progress of that line in black.... WHY?

Becasue if you die your purple progress line is gone, but your Black line stays! This way I don't get lost by following the black line i drew the nest time when I have start at the beginning of the Nightmare...

heroicxspace
Just Passing Through

Post by heroicxspace »

Now I see what you meant, but why mark the GPS at all if you know where you're going? You can't have it out to look at unless you're walking, in which case you probably aren't going to make it to where you're trying to go. Since you show up as the little blue arrow regardless, I didn't bother... I just checked my purple line periodically (especially when going in and out of buildings) to make sure I wasn't getting turned around...
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

saevitia wrote:I tried to do this a little bit, but mostly I just looked for the end point and tried to aim myself in that general direction.
I did this on a couple of occasions myself. The school scene, in particular, was a chase scene I had to do over a couple times. When it came to the scene after going to Lisa's apartment... I got into so many aimless circles that it wasn't even funny after a while. :roll:
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

I didn't even know you could draw on the map. IDK, it's not that hard to navigate the nightmare scenes anyhow.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

There's no point. Unless you know where the gaping pits and such are, the map won't do you much good, and you have little time to stop and look at the damn thing. I just ran like a guy with a stolen television booking it from the cops.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

^It does have a point once you realize you have only been running in circles. The map was pretty useful, at least for me.
lbsword
Just Passing Through

Post by lbsword »

You guys actually used the map? I just hauled ass and threw those motherfuckers off me at every turn. Worked out well.
Conte
Just Passing Through

Post by Conte »

I didn't really use the map my first time through.

Everywhere you read, you hear people complaining about getting lost and running in circles. I can honestly say I never ran in any circles or got lost more than twice. I guess I have a relatively good sense of direction?

As long as you don't make silly mistakes, it's pretty easy. If there's a hallway that goes back the way you just came - chances are, it'll lead you back the way you just came.

I also found that running straight tended to lead nowhere. 'Cause you'd eventually get into a long-winded hallway or tunnel that would shoot you back to the beginning.

But as for the GPS - on my first playthrough, no, I didn't use it. Ever. But for some reason, I'm really sucking on my second playthrough. So yeah, it's getting used now.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

I didn't use it until I got to the Highschool chase sequence. I got myself lost there a little bit, twisted up.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

This was basically my method: when the icy world came and I was given a new waypoint, I'd look at the map for a minute to make sure I knew the direction to go and to get a decent idea of the turns that could be made. Things didn't always work out perfectly once I had several enemies after me, of course- I'd make some crazy turns once in a while- but overall it went well, and whenever I had a moment free from enemies, I'd glance at the map again to see how on-track I was and adjust my direction of travel if needed.

The purple line is a pretty cool feature, although I don't really need it most of the time. I didn't even realize you could draw a black line, but I don't feel the need to start doing that.