My thoughts on the game

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

angevil
Just Passing Through

My thoughts on the game

Post by angevil »

I decided that I WILL write my thoughts even though I should`t waste time on this, but I guess it is better to have more fan feedback.

I am very very disappointed. First of all. I didn`t get any Silent Hill vibe from this game. Environments are so boring, just plain halls/rooms with boxes in the corners. No monsters around when exploring. Finding a random monster and killing him was always scary for me in a SH game. ″Innovation″ sucked..opening a jacket or a closet to get a key? Turning a button? :roll: The chase sequences were sooooo boring. Not scary at all. Just boring and frustrating, running around the blue dark environment trying to get from point A to point B. While avoiding the most uninspired monsters I have ever seen in my life. If we were able to kill them we would get at least a little satisfaction knowing we are getting rid of so stupidly designed monsters. And is that flickering light while exploring supposed to be scary? Or what? And than you get a stupid SMS with no significance..like ″hey, I am shopping, I want candy, daddy! Or come touch me, I am so hot?!″ And getting all those stupid calls and voice messages on the phone?? Shit, how stupid that was?! Everyone seems to have my number and want to talk to me. But when they start talking there is some static and I lose the signal? Hahahaha, how original..why veeeeery silent hellish, I am sooooooo scared of what might happen next. Maybe some light flickering in next room will murder me. Or that hot Dahlia will strangle me with her sour p...legs. :lol:
Story is also stupid. I knew Harry would be dead after seeing the trailer, all that ice and the title of the game. Very boring story. I am surprised that they made such a terrible game, especially after making Origins which was really good.
I was sooooooo soooooo bored with Shattered memories. Just waiting to finish it. It was so awful that I didn`t even want to know what will happen next. I didn`t predict who was the one talking to the therapist, but it wasn`t that big of a surprise.
And the last thing, about the game analyzing you, that is such bull..At the end of the game you get that idiotic summary of your person which can be applied to just anyone. Anyone can recognize themselves in any summary. It is ridiculous like a horoscope..I can`t stand the game and I can`t see how anyone can enjoy this game. Developers of the game let me down very much, it is so sad what they did with the game. They should have remade the 1st game, but only updating the graphics. They should put plastic bags on their heads to hide from shame.

Shattered memories is worth nothing. It`s rape of SH. Not even reminiscent of SH.
Origins was excellent. One of the best games. Congrats for that one.

Just my opinion :)
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I feel like you do too.
Let down. :(
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

hmm i didn't really look at it as a silent hill game the main thing that i hated was that the game wasn't scary...at all.
December Man
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: My thoughts on the game

Post by December Man »

angevil wrote: Origins was excellent. One of the best games. Congrats for that one.
Even though I can relate with you in a lot of points you brought up, this one was a huge(negative) surprise. You really think Origins was one of the best? Really? Of all the games, why Origins?
[img]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5149/smallershsig8jd.jpg[/img]
angevil
Just Passing Through

Re: My thoughts on the game

Post by angevil »

December Man wrote:You really think Origins was one of the best? Really? Of all the games, why Origins?
I really liked Origins..it had two stories going on: the main Alessa plot and the psychological troubles of the main character. It was scary, had some great monsters and bosses. It felt like a real SH game. I enjoy very much playing it. I love that video scene when Travis looks for the first time in the mirror, sees Alessa and there is blood and his head starts shaking madly. Just seeing that video, it proves how great the game is. SH2 is my favorite. But SH4 and Homecoming were also big disappointments to me, I didn`t enjoy those at all. So, Origins is in my top 4 SH games. I have to play SH3 again to determine the order :D
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

Shouldn't this have gone here? No?
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
lbsword
Just Passing Through

Post by lbsword »

I thought this game was fantastic. It really had an effect on me. "No combat" i thought worked out really well, considering how risky an idea it was/how shitty it could have been.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

I really like this game, I think the chase sequences are fun and I LOVE the story, it's so sad! It's my favourite SH after 2.

But I agree, the monsters looks stupid and the game is not scary at all.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I am very very disappointed. First of all. I didn`t get any Silent Hill vibe from this game. Environments are so boring, just plain halls/rooms with boxes in the corners. No monsters around when exploring. Finding a random monster and killing him was always scary for me in a SH game. ″Innovation″ sucked..opening a jacket or a closet to get a key? Turning a button?
Opening a jacket or closet for a key and turning a button has been in all Silent Hill games, sweetie.

And I'm going to say that being able to kill monsters has never been scary for me. Shattered Memories is the only Silent Hill game that actually ever had me scared.
The chase sequences were sooooo boring. Not scary at all. Just boring and frustrating, running around the blue dark environment trying to get from point A to point B. While avoiding the most uninspired monsters I have ever seen in my life. If we were able to kill them we would get at least a little satisfaction knowing we are getting rid of so stupidly designed monsters.
Lol way to miss the point. Oh, I'm sure we're in for a spectacularly informative review.
And is that flickering light while exploring supposed to be scary? Or what?
Honey, it's static. You know, like in every Silent Hill game ever made?
And than you get a stupid SMS with no significance..like ″hey, I am shopping, I want candy, daddy! Or come touch me, I am so hot?!″ And getting all those stupid calls and voice messages on the phone?? Shit, how stupid that was?! Everyone seems to have my number and want to talk to me. But when they start talking there is some static and I lose the signal? Hahahaha, how original..why veeeeery silent hellish, I am sooooooo scared of what might happen next. Maybe some light flickering in next room will murder me. Or that hot Dahlia will strangle me with her sour p...legs.
So finding pieces of paper with the same information is scary, for you? The phone calls are supposed to deliver ambiance and narrative, not scares.
Story is also stupid. I knew Harry would be dead after seeing the trailer, all that ice and the title of the game. Very boring story. I am surprised that they made such a terrible game, especially after making Origins which was really good.
There's more to the story than "Harry is dead", but considering the shallowness of your complaints, I'm not entirely confident you understood what the story was.
I was sooooooo soooooo bored with Shattered memories. Just waiting to finish it. It was so awful that I didn`t even want to know what will happen next. I didn`t predict who was the one talking to the therapist, but it wasn`t that big of a surprise.
If you didn't predict it, it's kind of a surprise by dictionary definition.
And the last thing, about the game analyzing you, that is such bull..At the end of the game you get that idiotic summary of your person which can be applied to just anyone. Anyone can recognize themselves in any summary. It is ridiculous like a horoscope..I can`t stand the game and I can`t see how anyone can enjoy this game. Developers of the game let me down very much, it is so sad what they did with the game. They should have remade the 1st game, but only updating the graphics. They should put plastic bags on their heads to hide from shame.
The test Climax used was a psychological test therapists use in real life, results and all. Of course it can be applied to "just about anyone", it's a test that categorizes highly specific, individual specimens into groups. Did you expect it to literally read your mind, or something?

God, forget any gripes with the developers, it's unpleasable, ridiculously expectant and demanding fans that's killing the franchise. "We want more Pyramid Head!" "No wait he's James' monster!!!"

"Remake SH1!" "NO Don't don't even update the graphics!" "We want something original, but not this sort of original because it's not just like my favorite game!"
I really liked Origins..it had two stories going on: the main Alessa plot and the psychological troubles of the main character.
Two stories going on, both terribly handled.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
angevil
Just Passing Through

Post by angevil »

AuraTwilight wrote: Opening a jacket or closet for a key and turning a button has been in all Silent Hill games, sweetie.
This game seems to have all the puzzles like this, OMG, I have to turn the handles and turn the closet door, oohhhh my how exciting!!!!! Boring as hell.
AuraTwilight wrote:And I'm going to say that being able to kill monsters has never been scary for me. Shattered Memories is the only Silent Hill game that actually ever had me scared.
How can you be scared of those uninspiring things? It is so boring to run away from them. And finding the exit going through the blue doors? Why are they glowing so much? It is very ugly to move through that environment.
AuraTwilight wrote:Honey, it's static. You know, like in every Silent Hill game ever made?
Yes, but this time culmination isn`t a scary monster but SMS message!! Or a voice message! And much stupid messages. Nothing interesting.
AuraTwilight wrote:So finding pieces of paper with the same information is scary, for you?
It was more interesting anyway, finding text with something disturbing..also bloody and old papers are much better find. :)
AuraTwilight wrote:If you didn't predict it, it's kind of a surprise by dictionary definition.
Wow, you really hate my guts, eh? :lol: It didn`t surprise me! It was just boring..oh, yeah..can I have the ending credits now??? NO? I have to see the horoscope????? :lol:
AuraTwilight wrote:Did you expect it to literally read your mind, or something?
First of all anyone had find themselves in ANY of those idiotic analysis. Second, it is very general description based on some question you answered. And I see here fans saying they were fascinated by this psychoanalysis thing, but it is very simple in reality. No therapists needed for that.

AuraTwilight wrote:Two stories going on, both terribly handled.
That`s your opinion. I say it was handled fantastically well. There were just a few small things that weren`t how they should have been. Overall it was great. And as i remember from old discussions, you didn`t even understand what happened in the game.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

Yes, but this time culmination isn`t a scary monster but SMS message!! Or a voice message! And much stupid messages. Nothing interesting.
A lot of the messages, especially the voice mails, had lots to do with the backstory and happening's of Cheryl's life. It's all there to add to the experience, the atmosphere...
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

angevil wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:And I'm going to say that being able to kill monsters has never been scary for me. Shattered Memories is the only Silent Hill game that actually ever had me scared.
How can you be scared of those uninspiring things? It is so boring to run away from them. And finding the exit going through the blue doors? Why are they glowing so much? It is very ugly to move through that environment.
First off, people are afraid of different things, bud. For instance, I'm terrified of humanoid-looking things that are not human, so the Raw Shocks triggered a lot of my own personal fears just by their looks alone, and in a lot of ways that the bizarro demon monster creatures of past games didn't.

This is also the first game where the creatures acted like sentient things instead of wind-up toys that activate when the player enters their room. They followed you from room to room, over walls, under things.

If you're the kind of person who, you know, is afraid of being chased by a pack of relentless creatures which you have no means whatsoever of defending yourself against, then its kind of easy to see how this game could be frightening.

If you didn't think it was frightening, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But don't act like its impossible to see how this game could be frightening. I STILL get shaken up and frightened in the chase sequences, and I'm on my third run through the game.

AuraTwilight wrote:Honey, it's static. You know, like in every Silent Hill game ever made?
.....sigh. Monsters aren't the only things that can be scary. If you need to have a monster with knives for arms in order to be scared, then SH:SM wasn't even interested in talking to you.
AuraTwilight wrote:So finding pieces of paper with the same information is scary, for you?
It was more interesting anyway, finding text with something disturbing..also bloody and old papers are much better find. :)
It was also getting boring and trite as fuck. 6 games of bloody notes is quite enough, thanks.

And concerning the Origins discussion that's forming here, I really want to go on about how Origins was almost entirely unnecessary, horribly told, and unbelievably trite and uninspired. But I don't think that's really where this conversation should go, so I'll just leave it at that.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

God dammit PJ and I need to have a psychic love baby.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Light Alessa
Just Passing Through

Post by Light Alessa »

I personally loved SM. I never actually completed SH1, the camera puts me off. SM's story is AMAZING. It's really well thought out and much better than 'Let's stick a dude in a haunted apartment! - SH4'

Climax have done something amazing, they've created a reboot of silent hill, you love it or hate it, it's not going away. I expect Climax to continue,

Silent Hill Shattered Memories is just the beginning. You said you liked origins? so did i, but it was so repetitive and the story line made no sense to a new player who hasnt played SH1! SM is meant to be for new players and old players alike, so it had to be noob friendly and easy.

I Loved it. 9/10, 1 mark off for the door lag.
[quote] I love the Silent Hill Series. The Games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I Believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill 8 can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their Series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.[/quote]

Put this In Your Sig If you agree :)
pj
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by pj »

AuraTwilight wrote:God dammit PJ and I need to have a psychic love baby.
If this happened, the child would no doubt have terrifying and destructive psychic abilities to go with its psychic conception.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

It could be the new Alessa. :o
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

pj wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:God dammit PJ and I need to have a psychic love baby.
If this happened, the child would no doubt have terrifying and destructive psychic abilities to go with its psychic conception.
Said child will be an energy spirit astral being of reality-warping potential, and it's mind will probably be corrupted and constructed of fiction tropes, making it a mad god-child obsessed with re-enacting survival horror scenarios with KAWAII DESU CHAN anime memes for some reason.
Slow White
Just Passing Through

Post by Slow White »

Personally, I had no problem with Shattered Memories not being scary because none of them are scary so it was just par for the course in my opinion. You know what startled me in SH1? The cat jumping out of the locker.

A lot of the monsters posed no real threat in the old games because you had enough room to just run right by them and go on about your way.The others were more or less get from point A to point B as well, you just had bigger environments with a shitload of locked doors and "press x to examine this item that has no real use" to pad time.

With all this said I hope it doesn't seem like I'm dissing the old games because I'm a HUGE fan of the old series. Played, Owned, Beaten and Loved SH1-3 but even though I still cherish those 3, Shattered Memories has become my favorite of the series. I respect the topic creator's opinion but the way it was stated I cannot get behind.

Oh and I've never cared for the talking point of judging a Silent Hill game by it's puzzles. The puzzles have never been something I really enjoyed or looked forward to. They were just contrived distractions for an item of limited use or a door just like in almost every survival horror. Challenging at times? Sure. Necessary? Not really. I have Zack and Wiki on the Wii for my puzzle needs. So I was just fine with computer logins and gumball machines. The zippers and cans aren't puzzles and shouldn't be judged as puzzles.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

THANK YOU, Slow White, for pointing out the hypocrisy of many Silent Hill fans who are criticizing this game. I love you.
Jack Frober
Gravedigger

Post by Jack Frober »

Shattered memories has ZERO challenge. Sh2 and SH3 even had difficulty setting for puzzles while SM's idea of a puzzle is finding a key with basically HUGE arrow pointing at it and saying "HERE DUMBASS". I miss my poem puzzles lol *sniff*.

I don't know, SM is nothing special but as a reboot is good because I'm sure they can expand on it in future installments. I kinda liked having to pull the actual handles and shit in order to open containers lol.

Whatever, you dudes need to chill. So he doesn't like the game whoop-de-fucking-doo.
This young man never had a bummer in some 33 LSD trips. Every one of them was a delight, everything under control. He needed only to snap his fingers and down he came, anytime. But on voyage 34 he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing.