Telegraph.co.uk's interview with Sam Barlow

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Telegraph.co.uk's interview with Sam Barlow

Post by Whitney »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/v ... rview.html

I thought this post US release interview was really interesting! Especially these bits!
The game has had some mixed reviews in the US. Do you think some critics are struggling to understand such an unconventional horror experience, as forum feedback seems to be overwhelmingly positive by comparison?

I think the sub-set of reviewers that haven’t liked the game as much, I think it’s fair to say they often went in with very strict expectations based on the genre or based on the franchise name. When the game didn’t match those expectations they saw this as a failing, rather than something exciting and new.

Additionally, some reviewers just don’t seem to like the idea of a grown up game on the Wii. That was disappointing to us. As the console with the largest install base, we know there are a lot of adults who own Wiis. A lot of adults who would love this game - so it would have been nice if those reviewers had reviewed the game for that audience, rather than against their own preconceptions.

And, yes, forum feedback has been fantastic. A lot of people crying, a lot of people being really moved by the story. Which was always our main objective - create an experience that gives something genuine to its players and leaves them with lasting memories.
Now the other format-holders are readying their own motion controllers, would you like to remake Shattered Memories in HD for Arc and Natal? And how about a Wii sequel?

Yes to all of those. I mean, the Sony controller even looks like a flashlight! It’s great to see Sony and Microsoft jumping on the bandwagon because it means everyone will have to accept that motion controls are here to stay. And perhaps they’ll have to be less snooty about them. These things—motion controls—do add to the experience, they’re a way of broadening the audience, but also deepening the experience, if done right. For purely academic reasons, I’d love to see what Michelle and Dahlia look like in HD… Of course a Wii sequel would be a fantastic opportunity – if the Gods are willing. We did a pretty good job of knocking it out the park on this one, and if we went for round two – we’d push it up into the stratosphere.
My Websites!
Image Image Image
cascade88
Historical Society Historian

Post by cascade88 »

For purely academic reasons, I’d love to see what Michelle and Dahlia look like in HD… Of course a Wii sequel would be a fantastic opportunity – if the Gods are willing. We did a pretty good job of knocking it out the park on this one, and if we went for round two – we’d push it up into the stratosphere.
I'm unsure--should I take that as simply, he'd love to do another Silent Hill game on the Wii, or is he talking about actual Silent Hill: Shattered Memories 2 type of thing? Because... I don't see how a straight sequel would work in that situation.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
Ratiocinator
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ratiocinator »

I'm thinking (read: hoping) when he said knock it out of the park he meant making the graphics, sound, etc were well-polished for a Wii title along with creating a good story. In my head, that means they'd carry over their knowledge of making good-looking Wii (non-HD) games into the sequel for a future Wii SH title non-related to SM.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

....have provoked some forum discussion?
I think I know what forum they're talking about :p
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

I wouldn't really be surprised if Climax was thinking of making some sort of sequel for Shattered Memories... I dunno why, just seems like something they would do.
I’d love to see what Michelle and Dahlia look like in HD…
*facepalm*
Edea
Just Passing Through

Post by Edea »

A sequel to SH:SM? How are they gonna do that?
Image"Lowlifes... Shameless filthy wretches. How you celebrate my ascension with such joy. Hailing the very one you've condemned for generations. Have you no shame? What happened to the evil, ruthless sorceress from your fantasies? The cold-blooded tyrant that slaughtered countless men and destroyed many nations? Where is she now?"
Escapist
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Escapist »

I don't think they're talking about a direct sequel. Judging from other interviews, they seem to like the idea of sequels with different stories. As you have said, I can't see how a direct sequel of SM would work.

And for the Michelle and Dahlia thing... I guess they were talking just about a port.
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

I don't know how they would do it, either. Unless they just tried to keep going with their "Cheryl" and how messed up she is.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

Or, God forbid, James' frozen memories.
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

Yeah, maybe Climax will just re-imagine ALL the Silent Hills now. Silent Hill 2: Frozen Memories. Silent Hill 3: Re-imagined, the direct sequel to Shattered Memories. Then Silent Hill 4: The Icy Room, Silent Hill: Homecoming: Re-imagined (It has Pyramid Head- buy it), and then finally they will re-imagine Shattered Memories and the world will implode.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

And Henry will gaze upon the impending implosion and say, "What... the hell?"
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

Lmao.

And then Mira will say, "Woof woof woof (just as planned)".
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Guys, reading comprehension skills. They specifically said "Well, we could do a game on these other consoles, or a Wii Sequel", which means that Sequel, in this context, means "Another game on the Wii."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Ryoshockwave wrote:Yeah, maybe Climax will just re-imagine ALL the Silent Hills now. Silent Hill 2: Frozen Memories. Silent Hill 3: Re-imagined, the direct sequel to Shattered Memories. Then Silent Hill 4: The Icy Room, Silent Hill: Homecoming: Re-imagined (It has Pyramid Head- buy it), and then finally they will re-imagine Shattered Memories and the world will implode.
My brain exploded :roll:
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

AuraTwilight wrote:Guys, reading comprehension skills. They specifically said "Well, we could do a game on these other consoles, or a Wii Sequel", which means that Sequel, in this context, means "Another game on the Wii."
Seems that's what everyone's hoping they mean. Just seems odd to even mention seeing characters from SM "in HD". They were probably just joking around, but still. Also, when they say thing like "round two", yes they are probably talking about their next (unrelated to Shattered Memories) title, but you never quite know for sure...

Sometimes I wonder why it was so important to "restart" the series with a re-imagining and then make a story that's almost impossible to build off of. Didn't they have anything in mind?
simeonalo wrote:
Ryoshockwave wrote:Yeah, maybe Climax will just re-imagine ALL the Silent Hills now. Silent Hill 2: Frozen Memories. Silent Hill 3: Re-imagined, the direct sequel to Shattered Memories. Then Silent Hill 4: The Icy Room, Silent Hill: Homecoming: Re-imagined (It has Pyramid Head- buy it), and then finally they will re-imagine Shattered Memories and the world will implode.
My brain exploded :roll:
Actually the Silent Hill 2 re-imagining should be called "Frozen Dreams". My bad.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Ryoshockwave wrote: Sometimes I wonder why it was so important to "restart" the series with a re-imagining and then make a story that's almost impossible to build off of. Didn't they have anything in mind?
I would venture a guess that they don't intend on building off of Shattered Memories' plot, but the world it's created so far. They wanted to get rid of the old mythos so they wouldn't be forced to explain it all to new gamers, so they're just going and trying to create their own separate world.
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

Yuki wrote:
Ryoshockwave wrote: Sometimes I wonder why it was so important to "restart" the series with a re-imagining and then make a story that's almost impossible to build off of. Didn't they have anything in mind?
I would venture a guess that they don't intend on building off of Shattered Memories' plot, but the world it's created so far. They wanted to get rid of the old mythos so they wouldn't be forced to explain it all to new gamers, so they're just going and trying to create their own separate world.
That makes sense, but the whole first game was just
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Cheryl's imagination, right?
They really didn't do much for creating a separate "world".
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

Well, the only seperate "world" they succeeded in creating was
that of a psychiatrist's office, where the "journey" through Silent Hill is nothing but a coming to terms with your own issues.
In a way, Silent Hill 2 already had done this, just in a more literal way, obviously, but I have to say,
I like the literal journey as opposed to, "It was all in my/her/your/their head".
Ryoshockwave
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Ryoshockwave »

I have to admit, I always liked the idea of "outsiders" coming to Silent Hill and getting in touch with their own personal issues. I think that's why Silent Hill 2 was so successful, and I wish they would have explored that more. In fact, I always thought if they ever made a SH movie, they should try to come up with their own "SH2-like" scenario, instead of using any of the game's plots. They could have gotten really creative with that, if they wanted to.
As far as comparing SM and SH2, I also prefer it being literal, and not in the character's mind. I mean, the whole point of the town was to be have that supernatural aspect. That's what made it original. Maybe Shattered Memories, being a "dream" so to speak, makes it seem too realistic. I dunno. I thought it was cool how other games kind of explored that option in some endings (SH1's Bad ending, etc.), but to make the whole game like that kind of ruined the fun for me. Not that I was having that much fun with it to begin with...
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Ryoshockwave wrote:
Yuki wrote:
That makes sense, but the whole first game was just
Cheryl's imagination, right?
They really didn't do much for creating a separate "world".
Well, yes, but at the same time they've differentiated themselves from the world with The Order in it. They can make it supernatural and have everything be a literal journey (which I myself much prefer), or they can make everything be psychological journeys from now on as well, or go in some other direction we haven't thought of yet. They wanted to get rid of the baggage of the Order and such so they wouldn't have to explain it; now they can go in any direction they want.