alex 302'd date: possible spoilers here!

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

If you notice, when he gets stabbed by Pyramid Head/Bogeyman he wakes up with a gasp in Travis' truck, Travis is all "Bad dream?"
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
SHF
Historical Society Historian

Post by SHF »

are there other parts in which dreams?
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

That depends which ending you get. :P
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
SHF

Post by SHF »

i mean throughout the game, not the endings
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Refer to my previous post. Certain endings may imply that the entire game didn't happen at all.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I myself am fuzzy on whether the whole trip to the Grand Hotel was a dream or bizarre teleportation thingy. If it's a dream, how the hell did Alex keep the axe?
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

He keeps the health items you pick up in the hospital dream too, though his health is refilled. You gotta remember the nature of Silent Hill as well, remember even in the first game how many times Harry would wake up somewhere completely different (usually on the hospital bed by Lisa), even though he had made progress and kept items?
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

At least in SH1, you have Alessa to blame for that sort of thing. In SHH, it seems as if it just happens.
SHF

Post by SHF »

yeah, ya blame silent hill and the order/ religion for that.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Also happens in SH2, 3, 4(constantly) and Shattered Memories, Alessa not causing it in any of those.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

He clearly teleported to the Grand Hotel, considering that the events he experienced objectively happened, and he wakes up in a totally different place.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

He also wakes up in Scarlet's room after being like a good few miles underground in the otherworld. Silent Hill has it's own set of laws/logic in that way.
SHF

Post by SHF »

so, if im right here, its when alex dreams is when hes in all those places like hell descent, and fighting bosses? or is it just when the rust wrld appears that its only a dream?
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

It's supposed to be ambiguous really, like a lot of the SH games. They often wake up out of stuff which is or isn't really happening, and it's supposed to be quite difficult to get a grasp of what was real or what else. Not necessarily dreams in the later cases, but rather the character's real-world body 'wakes up' somewhere else etc. Silent Hill isn't supposed to make sense really ;)
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

It boils down to Alex's psychological profile. Since we're playing as Alex, and he's a catatonic schizophrenic, it makes sense that there are chunks of story missing or that don't make sense. We don't know what's really happening, what's a dream, or what isn't happening at all and is just in Alex's head. It's like reading a book written by an unreliable narrator. Nothing is spelled out for you--and if it is, often it will be a red herring there to fool you.
SHF

Post by SHF »

how do we know he's a catatonic schizophrenic? I mean his mother was kinda catatonic, but I would label him more normal, but with that fact he denied/repressed josh's death.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

helldescent wrote:how do we know he's a catatonic schizophrenic? I mean his mother was kinda catatonic, but I would label him more normal, but with that fact he denied/repressed josh's death.
The notes left around the hospital level are (supposedly) about Alex. They mention a patient who goes into a non-responsive state, a symptom of catatonic schizophrenia. He also experiences delusions and hallucinations, symptoms of schizophrenia. So, it's implied that he is a catatonic schizophrenic.

And he would have gone through episodes of catatonia, much like a schizophrenic may go through episodes of schizophrenia. There are moments of normalcy and clarity coupled with moments of psychosis or, in Alex's case, non-responsiveness.

This could explain the gaps in the storyline, granted he's still experiencing the catatonia, which I doubt.

EDIT: And he really didn't just "repress" the memory of Josh's death. He replaced it with an entirely fictional storyline... one which he believed to be real. Repression is when you just black out certain events. Alex went batshit crazy.
wonderland kitten
Just Passing Through

Post by wonderland kitten »

actually that pushes quite a bit into light and gives more meaning to the schism. If he is catatonic schizophrenic that would show to others though.
i don't know if you ever known someone with even minor schizophrenia but you can point out that theres something wrong on sight so why would ellie trust him so?
"But i don't want to go among mad people!"
OH you can't help that we're ALL mad here...
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Because she's known him all his life and she doesn't know where he went or what happened to him.

And not all schizophrenics are "obviously messed up", thanks for generalizing.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
wonderland kitten
Just Passing Through

Post by wonderland kitten »

sorry Aura but everyone is obviously messed up. look closely at people on the street: step count, breath timing, posture, expression, eye movement you'll notice things from even the most sane of people... now those of us who have mental illness (depression, schizophrenia, mania, OCD, ect.) are easier to spot.

To be so deep into your head that you physically experience it would be the equivalent of a lighthouse
"But i don't want to go among mad people!"
OH you can't help that we're ALL mad here...