Inf. SMG: spoilers

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

SHF
Historical Society Historian

Inf. SMG: spoilers

Post by SHF »

Ok, so when the SMG is found, it can be used throughout the game. But will i still find it, if iswitch to hard mode?
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I guess so. It won't hurt to try that by yourself either. :wink:
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

Yes as long as you've fulfilled the criteria (I believe it's kill the last boss with a melee weapon) you can get the unlimited SMG no matter what difficulty.

Just remember to start "extra new game" not just "new game" and you should find it. Do you know where it is?
Only some of my posts are serious.
SHF

Post by SHF »

outside mallbathroom, on the crates right?
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

Yep! It will be there. It is an extra weapon though, so using it counts against your rating, but if you aren't going for 10 stars and want to just tear shit up, it's the best gun in the game :)
SHF

Post by SHF »

will it hinder me from getting the extra hard modes?
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

As long as you complete it on hard difficulty and riddle mode, you should unlock extreme. You are free to use whatever extra weapons you want, it just affects the stars you get at the end :)

I don't even think you need Hard riddle mode to do it, just difficulty. I'd put both on hard though just to be sure
SHF

Post by SHF »

Thanks! What do the rank stars mean? what are they for exactly?
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

A ten star rank means you blow through the game really well; not being damaged too much, getting a set amount of items, defeating a certain amount of enemies by fighting and shooting, under a certain amount of time—it's not as difficult as it sounds, but a lot of people have trouble with it.

But like, yeah. You aren't allowed to use "extra" weapons. Like the Beam Saber, USMG, Flamethrower, Gold and Silver Pipe, Heather and Sexy Beam...

You can equip them, you just can't attack with them. (Although there is a certain glitch...) If you attack with an extra weapon, deliberately against a monster or accidentally, you'll automatically lose your ten star rank and you'll have to start over from the beginning or the one of the two saves that you're allowed on the ten star ranking run.

But like I said before, it's not hard at all. You'll just have to find out how to kill monsters efficiently and quickly whilst balancing your 75 kills by fighting and 75 kills by shooting. You can exceed that number if you wish, and you can even set the Bullet Adjust to x5 without being penalized.

You can get big stars and little stars. If you've beaten the game "perfectly" as the game recognizes it, then you get ten big gold stars. Doing so results in the Flamethrower's flame jet to be devastating and different looking, and the length of the Beam Saber'll double, too. In short, your reward for the a "perfect" run is a super Flamethrower and a super Beam Saber.

However if you don't beat the game with a ten gold star ranking, the Flamethrower and Beam Saber revert back to their punier states.

There are some pretty alright guides out there, but if you're going after a ten star ranking I think you should just experiment with monsters and find your favorite and easiest way to kill them without spamming the USMG.

Oh and the star-ranking system hasn't been around in a while, but it's the most prominent in the first four Silent Hill games. The ranking system is pretty different for each game, and they all warrant different bonuses.
SHF

Post by SHF »

wow! thanks for that. Sounds interesting and challenging
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

That poster makes it sound easier than it actually is. You have to kill a set amount with melee AND a set amount with firearms, and the ones you kill with melee should be the first monsters you encounter. Around the halfway point you should switch to guns, and make sure you've finished at LEAST 5 times so you can get the 5 bullet adjust and never run out of ammo.

You also can't stomp enemies, as it counts as melee kill. It takes a lot of practice, and many times through the games. You have to be good at dodging attacks and staying healthy. You also have a time limit, and a save amount limit.
SHF

Post by SHF »

have u personally done this?
Kerrigan
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Kerrigan »

More times than I can tell you; that's probably why it's so easy to me, but really you should just play around to better understand each monster's mannerisms, their attack frequency, etc.
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

Yes, I've done it quite a few times myself, and it's easy for me too, but someone who has never done it will find it to be rather challenging :)

I just didn't want the person who hasn't done it to go into it thinking that "oh this is gonna be simple" when it's not the first time you try it. It took me a long time and many tries to get that first 10-star.

3 is the only one I can actually do a 10-star on. :(
Natural_Nitrate
Just Passing Through

Post by Natural_Nitrate »

Yeah, I played through hard with the infinite sub machine gun after previously playing on normal.