Yahoo Games "worst videogame movies" Silent Hill

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

DamienPales wrote:Dahlia was a horribly-written character as well, so I don't really see the comparison between her and Christabella as a plus. If you must know, I don't consider the storyline of Silent Hill 1 (the game) to be very good, but it was at least a fun game so I didn't let the crappy story bother me all that much.
And yet I'll bet somehow you don't like Homecoming.
DamienPales wrote:I prefer villains who make sense. Like Claudia.
Claudia? She was pretty much a pale version of this:

DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

Claudia wasn't a witch at all. Dahlia was the cackling hag.

Claudia actually wanted to spread genuine joy and happiness to others.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

DamienPales wrote:Claudia actually wanted to spread genuine joy and happiness to others.
Like blind religious people such as Christabella.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

No, Christabella represented the hypocrisy of the self-righteous, and people who use the hopes and faith of others for their own personal gain and glory.

Claudia was a very sympathetic, tragic, and well designed character, and she doesn't deserve being drawn into this Dahlia/Christabella mudfight.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Really? I always found Claudia to be a pretty weak character.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

She's a multifaceted character, if nothing else, which she has over the other two, and she's not a cliche villain. She's a troubled, unloved girl with truly amazing spiritual abilities and a capability for love and kindness, and when she lost her only friend, she went off the deep end and became completely obsessed with bringing about a paradise her friend had to "die" for, completely missing that she's going against what her dearest friend wanted.

Despite this zeal, though, and despite doing evil things to bring it about, she makes no pretense that she's in the right. She's willing to suffer eternal damnation so that mankind can experience happiness, no strings attached. The fact that Claudia became the person we see is nothing short of one of the biggest tragedies in Silent Hill.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Holy One
Just Passing Through

Post by Holy One »

JKristine35 wrote:I find it more interesting because of the incredible amount of symbolism it carries: there are so many things that are symbolic, everything from the monsters to Dark Alessa symbolizing the devil, Sharon symbolizing God, the shift from fog to darkness symbolizing Alessa's burning, etc. I sympathized strongly with Alessa because of her abuse at the hands of her fellow classmates, it reminds me of how I was outcast in school because I had Aspergers, so I was 'weird'. Even the teachers backed up the students, saying I was the cause of the problem because I lacked normal social skills. :x
I know where you're coming from. I had a mild case of Asperger's myself, and had to grow up in a Catholic school to boot. The teachers treated me differently and singled me out as much as the other kids did. Like every problem I had was my own fault for not fitting in, and no one really cared what the reasons were. I felt for Alessa, too.
THREAD QUESTION: "Does anyone want to date Heather?"
PARTYHARD: "Well, she carries a fuckton of emotional baggage, she's her own mother, used to be a suicidal girl who opened the gates of Hell in a town and would kill people with her brain, she's 31 in a teenage body, she can go on a relentless rampage if you piss her off enough... sure, don't see why not."
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I'm glad they're forcing teachers to pay more attention to autism spectrum disorders these days, it would have helped me and probably a trillion other people a ton if it had been like that years ago.
nickikcin
Just Passing Through

Post by nickikcin »

I've seen 8 out of 12 movies in that list, Silent Hill's definitely the best one, not because I'm a fan but most of the others are either too corny or badly produced
Diabolic Dreams
Just Passing Through

Post by Diabolic Dreams »

I thought the movie was great, I can see how the masses would not like it considering the twisting plot, but the movie was a success in video game to movie transition. I normally hear two sorts of complaints, the first from SH fans raising hell that the movie differed too much from the game, while this is true its still a good movie and we should just be happy that it was even made into one for us to enjoy. I wouldnt want to watch the movie and know everything that was going to happen, if I want the true experience I'll just play the game. the second complaint is it being confusing, anyone who complains about that simply didnt pay attention to the story.
The best of nothing left...
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I can understand that it's hard for people to grasp that Dark Alessa is Alessa's dark side and Sharon is her good side, given the very short time they spend on actually explaining that and Dark Alessa's tendency to be metaphorical. That said, it'd be easier to understand if people actually listened to what Dark Alessa is saying in the flashback, as she makes it very clear Alessa has psychic powers and is causing the world to change around her with her hate. They really should have just left it like it was in the original script, where Dark Alessa answers Rose as to who she is by saying 'Alessa. This whole world is Alessa'. That would have cleared things up big time, but Gans was trying to push his 'devil on one shoulder, angel on the other' symbolism.
Mr. Domino
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. Domino »

Man...if Silent Hill was on their list of the worst game movies, I'd love to see what they thought the best were - Perhaps Alone in the Dark or Dead or Alive?
I'm not a self-righteous, egotistical, arrogant bastard - but I play one on the internet!
Csilent Ihill
Just Passing Through

Post by Csilent Ihill »

The first Resident Evil came out alright, and so did the second Tomb Raider. Doom was presentable too... because they were just... straight forward entertainment, and that's about it; they didn't "pretend" to be anything besides that. SH failed due to its pretentious elements, sleeping pill direction and the overload of foolish parts. The visuals, the sound, the cast.... were distinguished, having quality written all over it.
Yeah, well... that is just like, ah, your opinion, man.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

They really should have just left it like it was in the original script, where Dark Alessa answers Rose as to who she is by saying 'Alessa. This whole world is Alessa'. That would have cleared things up big time, but Gans was trying to push his 'devil on one shoulder, angel on the other' symbolism.
To be fair, it's pretty effective symbolism considering it's paralleled in almost every aspect of the movie.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Mr. Domino wrote:Man...if Silent Hill was on their list of the worst game movies, I'd love to see what they thought the best were - Perhaps Alone in the Dark or Dead or Alive?
Oi! Dead or Alive was awesome! But really, otherwise I agree with your point :P
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

How was Doom not on that list, or Resident Evil for that matter? RE kinda sucked imo, but i'll admit, house of the dead probably takes the cake. Silent Hill the movie was pretty good imo. i didn't like a number of the changes story/character wise, but i still enjoyed the film.

Springs said earlier in the thread how he can't understand how Hollywood seems to repeatedly fuck up films based off videogames, and y'know, i can't wrap my head around it either. you would've thought that at some point, someone would've tapped Gans on the shoulder and said "no, that's not really a good idea" when he decided to turn Harry into a woman, or turn Dahlia into the naive, and helpless mother. i literally cringed when i heard "WITCH! burn the witch!" being shouted by the followers.

lastly, the only thing that realy made me laugh in the film is the scene with the nurses. it was so choreographed that it felt like they were almost dancing. i would've preferred a handfull of nurses, as opposed to a big group of them lined up, dancing like they were in a rhythm nation video.
chaospersonified
Just Passing Through

Post by chaospersonified »

Well imho I thought it was all terrible. A horrible waste of time. It left me disgusted really. But once again, just my opinion.
“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”

Henry Miller
OldandSenile
Just Passing Through

Re: Yahoo Games "worst videogame movies" Silent Hill

Post by OldandSenile »

I think it was a big mistake to take Pyramid Head into this movie AND a cult that bear no importance to what makes Silent Hill so good.
Because now you had the layout of SH1 melted together with SH2 and that's like trying to invent the hamburger with the bread in the middle surrounded by beef.

The cult people just fell on their arses, they wouldn't be able to explain themselves in SH1 or SH2 (the two most important instalments), why they are there? so when you take them suddenly into the movie you take a big gamble about the credibility and end purpose of Silent Hill, now it fell on its arse, for me atleast.
AuraTwilight

Re: Yahoo Games "worst videogame movies" Silent Hill

Post by AuraTwilight »

No, it's only your personal opinion that they bear no importance to what makes Silent Hill "so good." The rest of your post falls flat on it's arse in light of that fact.
simeonalo

Re:

Post by simeonalo »

AuraTwilight wrote:She's a multifaceted character, if nothing else, which she has over the other two, and she's not a cliche villain. She's a troubled, unloved girl with truly amazing spiritual abilities and a capability for love and kindness, and when she lost her only friend, she went off the deep end and became completely obsessed with bringing about a paradise her friend had to "die" for, completely missing that she's going against what her dearest friend wanted.

Despite this zeal, though, and despite doing evil things to bring it about, she makes no pretense that she's in the right. She's willing to suffer eternal damnation so that mankind can experience happiness, no strings attached. The fact that Claudia became the person we see is nothing short of one of the biggest tragedies in Silent Hill.
If anything, I see Claudia as a nice person. Not many abused turn out "good" like her. It's just that her intentions...were...a bit "evil" to the rest of the main characters, making her an "antagonist". I'm sure that if Heather didn't have to birth a God, if there were no monsters, if the process was good and not evil or painful, she would have accepted.