Anybody else disapointed by this game?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

larry_lovage69
Just Passing Through

Anybody else disapointed by this game?

Post by larry_lovage69 »

Did anyone else notice all the sexual stuff in the game? It really seemed there was a lot more than normal. I'm no prude, but I thought it was a little much. Also there were no weapons aside from the road flare. That sucks. Not to mention once you beat the game there was no special weapons earned....Lastly the monsters that chase you in the begining are kinda cool, but as you progress through the game they are just a real annoyance. In my opinion thuis was the worst of the Silent Hill games.
My Silent Hill/Heroscape Project
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=25196
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

Ya know the game is based of your personality right. That's the reason why there's so much sexual stuff, as you've done all the stuff and answered all the questions to make it sexual.
^^
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

No. I was not disappointed by this game.

If there was that much sexual stuff that it bothered you, it is probably because you are a filthy pervert. Stop denying yourself. Go get sex rehab.
larry_lovage69
Just Passing Through

Post by larry_lovage69 »

Ok wait LOL How did I make it sexual what questions did I answere to make it sexual? Also my name is not Tiger Woods I don't have sex addiction. Ok also there are sexual things in the game which there was no way I had an effect on. Like when you go into the first bathroom and see writting on the wall that says "Kammy got spit-roasted by the entire football team." (Something like that.) and Harry says hmmm Kammy. ok.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

That is there because you are a filthy pervert.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

The sexual elements of the game are almost entirely optional, and if they have any effect on your game, it's your fault for looking and thinking in such a way that they become prevalent.

Which is, of course, the entire point.
larry_lovage69
Just Passing Through

Post by larry_lovage69 »

ok that did not answere my question......
larry_lovage69
Just Passing Through

Post by larry_lovage69 »

Ok I get that I had everything to do with the perverted things in the game. That being said there still was a lot of sexual stuff I had no control over in the game.
NightlyOne
Just Passing Through

Post by NightlyOne »

Well, the truth of the matter is that this game is a a drastic and major departure from the previous SH games. Hell, the way I view it, it's not actually a SH game - it just borrows elements from and makes references to other SH games (mostly from SH1, since it is a re-imagining). By the previous standards set by the earlier games, yeah, I was a bit disappointed in Shattered Memories, since it's not the Silent Hill game I was looking for.

However, I also feel that Shattered Memories was a good game by its own right. As a Silent Hill title, it may not live up to the same level of horror of the previous games, but on its own, it has an interesting story and gameplay mechanics that make it a worthwhile game. Sure, the enemies and nightmare chase sequences get redundant after the first few times, but exploring the town and uncovering the mystery behind it is still pretty fun.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

You're complaining because there's too much sex in this game.

At the same time, you're complaining because there's not enough violence in this game.

God bless.
larry_lovage69
Just Passing Through

Post by larry_lovage69 »

There now that is the kind of of answere I was looking for. Was that so hard? Anyway I guess if you do view it as not really a silent hill game it is pretty cool. Don't get me wrong I did like the cell phone alot especially the ability to call any numbers you ran accross.
Des573
Just Passing Through

Post by Des573 »

A little. There isn't much incentive to play through again unless you really like the chase sequences which are easy to memorize.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

To me, Silent Hill was never about being scared or any type of action. Sure, there were a lot of things that were creepy but I always viewed them as cool and interesting as opposed to something that actively scared me. I played the first two Silent Hill games when I was around 11-12 years old. It took me a long time to beat them, and even then I just liked them on a "ooo, that was creepy" level and I loved on.

It wasn't until I replayed SH2 when I was around 16 that I really fell in love with the series, because that is when I really appreciated the story and all the psychological and deeper aspects. Not that I am saying people who enjoy the creepy stuff more are lesser than me. But what I am getting at is that Shattered Memories is a game that focuses solely on those other aspects of Silent Hill. It's the exact opposite of Homecoming, which ignored them to focus on the creepy stuff and action (and if they even got those right or not is an opinion that changes from person to person).

In that way, and in my opinion, Shattered Memories is more a Silent Hill game to me than anything to come out after SH2. It doesn't have all of the elements some of the older games had, no, but what elements it did have it took and ran with it just like I always wanted to. Everything about it, the concept, the gameplay, the story. It's all very much Silent Hill. It's just in the vein of Silent Hill 2 (and maybe kinda Silent Hill 4) as opposed to Silent Hill 1/3/Origins/Homecoming. The only reason some people can't see that is because they get caught up on what it doesn't have, which are the same visuals and horror as the other titles. But if you look at the game from the SH2 angle, to me it shook those off to focus on things that are much more important.

Shattered Memories is my 2nd favorite Silent Hill title, coming in after 2 and just ahead of 3. It is the type of game that I play and think to myself "I wish I could come up with something this good". It's not perfect, especially on the Wii, but it's the closest thing Silent Hill has come to recapturing the essence of what hooked me so much back when it did hook me. To say it's "not a Silent Hill game" is just, well, ignorant. There is more to Silent Hill than creepy visuals.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Did anyone else notice all the sexual stuff in the game? It really seemed there was a lot more than normal.
What everyone else said. Apparently, you're a pervert, or doing some Freudian doublethink.
Also there were no weapons aside from the road flare. That sucks.
It was explicitly a selling point that this would be the case before the game was ever released. It was on the back of the game box. I don't get why people keep on bitching about this as if it were a total surprise.
Not to mention once you beat the game there was no special weapons earned....
Why would there be?
A little. There isn't much incentive to play through again unless you really like the chase sequences which are easy to memorize.
The game changes depending on how you play. That automatically gives it more replay value than every other Silent Hill game ever.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Whispered-Rain
Just Passing Through

Post by Whispered-Rain »

Did anyone else notice all the sexual stuff in the game? It really seemed there was a lot more than normal. I'm no prude, but I thought it was a little much.
I think there are some sexual elements, regardless of what your profile is, but like everyone else said, it has to do more with how you answered the questions and what decisions you make. Such as what you choose to look at, etc. Also what may be considered sexual can change. For instance, when looking at a bra in the clothing store, depending on your answers, Harry might mention something sexual about it, where as is you didn't focus on sexual answers, Harry might not mention anything about it.
Also there were no weapons aside from the road flare. That sucks.
I understand how if you enjoy fighting in games, that this is annoying. But based on the mechanics of the game, it makes sense to only include the road flare.
Not to mention once you beat the game there was no special weapons earned....
Again, I think lack of weapons makes sense for this game. It isn't like Homecoming. It's true that there were "special" weapons in all of the other games, but don't you think that would have been extremely random given the game is played by running away from the monsters? For Harry to have any special weapon would have been completely pointless, and they would have had to change mechanics for the second play though because there really isn't a way that would practically work.
Lastly the monsters that chase you in the begining are kinda cool, but as you progress through the game they are just a real annoyance. In my opinion thuis was the worst of the Silent Hill games.
I agree that the monsters chasing you can get kind of old. However I really didn't feel that way until my second play though. If you take a break from the game and then come back for another play through, it doesn't feel as repetitive, in my opinion.
I think the game over all had a lot of good points. It had an emotional and memorable story and succeeded in being interesting and immersive in it's gameplay.
What I'm wondering is, Do you solely dislike the game because of the lack of fighting or did you also find the story uninteresting?
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Sheesh I didn't think the game was that great(actually think its WAY overrated) but how does the game having any sexual references in it make it bad? I mean isn't it more determined by what you do? Now if you said that you were disappointed because it wasn't scary or lacked atmosphere that would make more since.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

The biggest disappointment was how "scary" the chase scenes were supposed to be. I remember reading somewhere how the game testers would claim how frightening the chase scenes were and that they would often have to take breaks after playing them. The clumsy controls are far scarier than anything in this game unfortunately.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Yeah I really don't see how anybody could be scared by them(actually i've heard alot people say they weren't scary) the chase sequences were more annoying than anything else. Also I think shattered memories is classified as a psychological thriller rather than horror, maybe that's why it wasn't scary.
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

Slight dissapointment from me, as whenever i tried hiding i would be found,
is it possible not to?

But the rest of the game was amazing!
I was pleasantly surprised by the way Harry elbows the raw shocks in the face
whenever they jump on him when climbing a fence!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Some people have a phobia of being chased by things. The chase sequences were specifically to emulate running nightmares. If those sorts of scenarios don't frighten you, that's fine. Frankly, I know some people who were scared by SM and no other SH game.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]