----------

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

It's worth a shot, alright. It's not my favorite by any stretch of the imagination, but it's certainly good.

The gameplay was, by far, the best in the series so far (Homecoming and Shattered Memories feature the best controls of the series). The story is good, but the focus is on the least interesting and most predictable part... play through it and I think you'll see what I mean. The aesthetics are taken straight from the movie, as was likely the order passed down from Konami; your mileage will vary based on whether you liked the movie's look or not.

As for the 360/PS3 transfer, I'm not surprised. Most multiplat games are developed for the 360 and then ported to the PS3, so it's only natural that they play better on their original platform. I played through and beat the 360 version and so far have no real problems with the PS3 version, so I don't think it's a noticeable difference in quality.

Watch out for bugs, though. If you're in a sealed-in area with multiple puzzles in a compact space, don't save until you've finished all of the puzzles and are out of there, or else the game may glitch up and you'll never be able to leave.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

The only graphical issue I have with my PS3 version (which I just completed for the first time this morning) was that in darker scenes, the shadows on Alex made him look like some kind of bronze statue.
SilentFantasy
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentFantasy »

SPRINGS02 wrote:
SilentFantasy wrote:
SPRINGS02 wrote:Comic relief characters don't belong in silent hill.
I thought Eddie was a very comedic comedic reliefer in my own ways :evil: And James. Henry especially, the way he was so indifferent all the time. Not every character can be serious. Poor Henry... I think there's a lot of dialouge in the games that are meant to be taken as comedic relief. Or maybe that's just me.
Eddie wasn't as funny as he was sad, also James was just, weird. I think Henry was funny but he wasn't meant to be a comic relief character he just had really really bad dialogue, the kind of dialogue that just makes you go "what the hell?" :P
Well I thought Eddie was sad too, but in certain spots in wasn't HIM that was funny exactly. It was him and James together. James was so mellow xD Henry! And Eileen, when Frank is outside your door and Eileen is with him, "That umbilical cord that I keep in that box in my room?...lately it's beginning to smell terrible." Eileen just looks at him and goes "What??" xD "...Forget I said anything!" I couldn't forget if someone said that out loud. :P
My Mollyanne, due March 15th!
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

I kind of agree that Eddie sometimes appeared to have some comic relief, but it was mainly the way James treated him. It was like watching an adult look down their nose at an annoying child.

Anyway though, Homecoming is a really good game if you can ignore the glitches here and there... Particularly the ones in Alex's house.
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I read about those glitches, but I didn't experience any that I'm aware of. That is if you don't count the game forcing you to fight a schism in order to progress.
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

If you go into Homecoming knowing that some parts of it "look" like the movie and that the women have permanent bad-hair days, and that "some" of the textures are iffy... you've seen the worst of it...oh and the "interective" cut scenes where you choose dialogue had a different part of the development team working on them. (That's why the animation on those parts of the game look terrible compard to the rest, which was quite good).

The story suprised me, and I quite liked it alot. Lots of cool little details... the missing pictures...the intro cut-scene...pyramid head's knife... and other details are way cooler when you know the ending and put it all together...

The combat is easily the best in the series (and better than most games). When you dodge and wack something and see it bleed...its very satisfying :D

It didn't quite affect me (scared,atmosphere) as much as other games...but I was NEVER bored and loved it...except for a certain sliding puzzle which was more evil than the entire Silent Hill series combined!!!

The cop's acting and dialogue was blah, but the rest of the characters were very good...something Team Silent had some pretty bad moments with...

The bosses were amazing and easily the best in the series.... the nurses, Pyramid Head and the dogs, should have been something else even though they looked great...

Bottom line is...while not perfect...this game had some real spirit put into it, and I love it! Kind of like most people reactions the SH4, which I also loved despite the problems it had...

I have the PC version which had some bugs, but none game stopping and its the best looking version of the game... I also have it working with my own custom Wii controls which work pretty good..
The current progress of my Silent Hill pinball (video) game can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/aMklvWiUqhY
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

thagerty wrote: It didn't quite affect me (scared,atmosphere) as much as other games...but I was NEVER bored and loved it...except for a certain sliding puzzle which was more evil than the entire Silent Hill series combined!!!

This was my main gripe with the game, because the main thing I love about silent hill is the disturbing atmosphere, and homecoming felt like it tried to hard which is one of main reasons I hated homecoming. I did like how they made the monsters bleed though.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I found the combat system to be very fun. Some say good combat makes it less scary, but I think that isn't the case. The lack of fear comes from simply having only sporadic scares, and very little creepy sound effects. Good scares and creepy sound made the SH series so great. I think DH was so concentrated on fixing things like controls, cameras, and combat that they lost sight of the creep factor.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I will say this: the best part of Homecoming, Hell Descent, was uncoincidentally the place where the improved combat system could do absolutely nothing to help me. There were only two enemies (in Normal mode, at least), so the fact that I could cut the monsters to ribbons meant nothing. Additionally, Scarlet was difficult and probably the only boss in the series that inspired fear and revulsion from me.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I found Hell Descent to be rather awkwardly placed. You usually don't see that kind of level in an SH game until the final act. I found entering it half-way through to be simply weird.
Touch Coma
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Touch Coma »

I first played it with doubts about the battle system and story direction, but later in the game I did find myself enthralled. I recommend giving it another go with an open mind.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Nvixurx.jpg?1[/IMG]
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I dunno why people make passive remarks about the graphics in Homecoming, I think it looks absolutely beautiful. Unless you look up close at textures and stuff, which isn't the nature of this kind of game, it's pretty stunning. Sure, people don't have perfect hair and some of the floors might be flat but when everything comes together it's more than the sum of it's parts.

Do yourself a favour, have a good look around while you're in the fog world. Notice the detail on the buildings, look up and see the telegraph poles and wires and traffic lights, the moths and bugs flying around you, the tattered American flag outside of the town hall, and realise you're in the fog world of Silent Hill and it's more alive than it's ever been before.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
SHF

Post by SHF »

And dont forget to use the first person mode. If you dont, youll miss things alot.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

One of the coolest details is that the savepoints appear to be drawing themselves. You can only see that in first person. Also, I liked how every weed in the courtyards of Alchemilla was given such great detail.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

It's weird, the savepoints do 'draw themselves' like that, and they seem to keep going and yet they don't get bigger or too detailed, I think they're taking previously drawn lines away from them but so subtly that you don't notice.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

helldescent wrote:And dont forget to use the first person mode. If you dont, youll miss things alot.
I didn't know there was a First-person mode! What's different besides the obvious? Is it better than third?
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

well, you can't move in FPV, you can only look around. however, in that view, you see how poor the textures are (in some areas). they look quite good in third person however.

the game is pretty good looking, but the few flaws do hurt it. the in game cinemas are pretty poor... for some reason the men got special treatment in regards to detail, yet the women got the shaft. its like the men look next gen for the most part, while the women look PS2ish.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

It's not true first person. It only zooms in on what you're looking at, and you can't really move. If you want to experiment with it, you press R3 on the PS3 version, don't know for the 360.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

If you want to experiment with it, you press R3 on the PS3 version, don't know for the 360.
In the X360 you press a button called Right Stick, or "RS". It's the right analogue stick, but I guess many already figured it out. . .
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

Oh I knew that, for some reason I thought they meant like a true First-Person View like Fallout3 how you how you can play the game in First-Person or third person. :)