Nine save points

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

the fifth survivor
Just Passing Through

Post by the fifth survivor »

I know this thread is pretty old, but I have something to say that I didn't hear yet. I believe that the nine save points have some meaning (I don't know what, but I like the theories I have read). But none of the other Silent Hills have any kind of mega-save point before the final boss, so why would only this one? Plus some of the stuff leading up to this point (like running in the hallway where you hear Mary and Jame's talking) lead you to believe that something is about to happen, you don't need the saves to make you think that. That's just what I think though.
Should you feel that you are being overwhelmed by something, remember:
if something is more powerful then you can handle,
it will kill you.
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

the fifth survivor wrote:I know this thread is pretty old, but I have something to say that I didn't hear yet. I believe that the nine save points have some meaning (I don't know what, but I like the theories I have read). But none of the other Silent Hills have any kind of mega-save point before the final boss, so why would only this one? Plus some of the stuff leading up to this point (like running in the hallway where you hear Mary and Jame's talking) lead you to believe that something is about to happen, you don't need the saves to make you think that. That's just what I think though.
Which is why I think the nine save points means James finally has all the pieces of the puzzle and everything has come to realization. Because when you go through the door next to the nine save points there's the cutscene where James even says he now knows what he must do from there on out.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>none of the other Silent Hills have any kind of mega-save point before the final boss
Silent Hill: Origins does.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
the fifth survivor
Just Passing Through

Post by the fifth survivor »

>>Which is why I think the nine save points means James finally has all the pieces of the puzzle and everything has come to realization. Because when you go through the door next to the nine save points there's the cutscene where James even says he now knows what he must do from there on out.

Exactly. I don't see how people can just ignore that there is probably some meaning to the saves.

>>Silent Hill: Origins does.

Oh sorry. I haven't played that one though, I'm waiting for a port or something.
Should you feel that you are being overwhelmed by something, remember:
if something is more powerful then you can handle,
it will kill you.
Psypherious
Just Passing Through

Post by Psypherious »

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread (I wasn't sure whether to start a new one or not), but I had a theory on the nine save points which I haven't seen mentioned yet. Apologies again if this has has been brought up before; I ran a search and found nothing about it.

My immediate thought when I reached the nine save points was that it was a reference to the nine circles of hell in Dante’s Inferno (from The Divine Comedy, and my knowledge of SH and Dante isn't extensive so correct me I make any mistakes).

In the Inferno, Dante depicts nine circles of hell which he and Virgil traverse, getting deeper and deeper the further they go, much like James’ journey into the abyss. The ninth circle is reserved for those who committed the sin of betrayal. Those punished most severely, trapped in the three frozen mouths of Satan, are Judas, Brutus, and Cassius. These all men who, even indirectly, murdered their loved ones, just as James did by smothering Mary. Of course James' love for Mary was of a different nature than the other three, but the point still stands. Additionally, the piece that plays as Maria is murdered by the two Pyramid Heads in the room after the nine save points is called "Betrayal" (at least on the English version of the soundtrack). It seemed very reminiscent of Inferno.

Obviously, the entire theme of Hell and punishment, going deeper into the darkness, etc. is pretty comparable to Silent Hill. When Dante and Virgil reach the very bottom of Hell they climb up Satan’s frozen body (I think; I might be wrong about this) and ascend into Purgatory and then Heaven, which is in some ways similar to James having to overcome his guilt over killing Mary, climbing the massive staircase to fight Maria and ultimately escape Silent Hill (depending on the ending, of course).

I don’t know if the other eight circles of Hell can be compared with the rest of SH2 or even just the part that takes place in the abyss, but it’s interesting. Glancing through the summary of the circles on the wiki page there are some definite similarities between characters and situations in SH2 and the other eight circles, however I doubt that they occur chronologically in the game and some levels (such as the circle reserved for the avaricious) don’t seem to have any parallels at all.

I can’t really draw any parallels between the majority of Silent Hill 2 and The Inferno without making some serious stretches (also because my knowledge of both SH2 and Dante is pretty limited). There are odd bits here and there throughout the game which are evocative of the Inferno, such as crossing Toluca lake where the people on the boat drowned and crossing the Styx in the fifth circle, but there’s not really a lot to go on.

Still, the nine save points always reminded me of the Inferno and I think that part at least might be a reference to it.
vivica_cherry
Just Passing Through

Post by vivica_cherry »

I think it's just to build anticipation that something major is coming up. I know the first time I played SH2 and I got to that part it increased my sense of dread. It's hard to say why exactly because 9 save points and 1 save point work all in the same way, but it gave me a sense that something important/potentially terrifying was about to occur.
DamienPales
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DamienPales »

MMY wrote:>none of the other Silent Hills have any kind of mega-save point before the final boss
Silent Hill: Origins does.
And Silent Hill 3. Though it's technically the second-to-last save point before the boss.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

All of Silent Hill 3's save points are the same.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Reference to the enormous Halo of the Sun on the floor of the Chapel gallery?
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

alone in the town wrote:Reference to the enormous Halo of the Sun on the floor of the Chapel gallery?
I have to admit, when I found that save point I thought I was going to step out of the room and that would be the grand finale right then and there.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
ForteChef
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ForteChef »

alone in the town wrote:Reference to the enormous Halo of the Sun on the floor of the Chapel gallery?
That's the one I was thinking of.

But who knows, maybe this on is as simple as tic-tac-toe.
4 pointing baby monsters, 3 numb bodies, 2 pyramid heads and a split worm? Where's my trusty blade? This one's going to be easy.
BrookhavenMaleNurse
Just Passing Through

Post by BrookhavenMaleNurse »

I think I heard somewhere [Making of Silent Hill 2?] that it was just simply to enforce the thought of saving the game to the player; unbeknownst that they will immediately fight two Pyramid Heads afterward.

Like vivica_cherry said, it's to instill a sense of anxiety in the player; thus "forcing" them to save beforehand.
James: Me? No... I'd never kill myself...
It's hot as hell in here.
Angela: You see it too? For me, it's always like this.
Dante
Just Passing Through

Post by Dante »

I think it´s because it warns you of something important,the truth about all of these strange happenings is going to be revealed Now !

Why nine ? Well,the other SH members have explained their "possible" meanings which are very interesting,I like how these Silent Team guys hide possible and ocult meanings on everything. :D
[img]http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/811/renadelusions.jpg[/img]
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

Run away! Run away! Run away!

Patience is the darkest side of power.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

That sounds very likely. It actually did create some anxiety for me, wondering if this was the last fight or not, or why there was its own camera angle.
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

I'm not saying that the nine save points literally communicate the message I previously posted, but the motif sure lends itself well to the contents of a note one can find in the streets of Silent Hill earlier in the game.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
Edea
Just Passing Through

Post by Edea »

9 is such a great number. I hear that its special mathematically, but there's also nine layers to the underworld of Aztec mythos. I'm just throwing that out there.
Image"Lowlifes... Shameless filthy wretches. How you celebrate my ascension with such joy. Hailing the very one you've condemned for generations. Have you no shame? What happened to the evil, ruthless sorceress from your fantasies? The cold-blooded tyrant that slaughtered countless men and destroyed many nations? Where is she now?"
Diabolic Dreams
Just Passing Through

Post by Diabolic Dreams »

I always thought that the nine save squares mean something along the lines of "Save Me From Myself". Right after that save point is the PH boss battle where James faces his fears and himself, like hes finally freeing himself from his nightmares.
The best of nothing left...
MisterX
Just Passing Through

Re: Nine save points

Post by MisterX »

when the hand of god comes down from heaven to stop these mofuckin bullets

Last Edited by MisterX on Wed Jun 29, 2016 17:15 pm.
Satan is a violent low self esteem fart face with animal legs, but not a animal ass.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: Nine save points

Post by The Adversary »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LCl2_DK6QU

At 0:51 in the intro sequence, the camera pans out from Mary's sickroom window. It begins with a 3-paneled window, then we see 6, and then it fades into the crawling Mannequin mass. I believe there is a third set of panels, barely visible, making it a 9-paneled window.

This could be what the nine save points are suppose to reference. After all, as I believe, the save points are windows from James' head into us, the player, as we're the ones "groping around in [his] skull."

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.