Scariest Game of All Time?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

this game is very intense (especially in the hospital and church)
it's probably the scariest game i've ever played
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

It's kind of difficult for me to label this or any other game as being the "scariest" overall, but SH3 definitely had a couple of parts that any game would be hard pressed to rival (in my eyes). The infamous mirror room and other moments in the transformed hospital had me about as freaked out as I've ever been over a game- and those parts still make me terribly uneasy.
NurseZK
Just Passing Through

Post by NurseZK »

Holy crap, someone said Siren: Blood Curse. That game, I swear, every couple of minutes I s*** bricks. Between that and Forbidden Siren, omfg. It takes me a long time to think of a reason just to put it in, and about half a day to turn it on, and another twenty minutes to start.

And wtf is with a police man being in every single one?
If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?
SPRINGS02
Historical Society Historian
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Yeah siren blood curse is definitely up there with silent hill 3 and fatal frame. That game makes me pretty damn tense too, and the maggot shibito are creepy as hell and make some pretty messed up noises. Hell the shibito in general all sound creepy.
NurseZK
Just Passing Through

Post by NurseZK »

^LOL yeah, they all make freaky noises. I give kudos to the people who thought up the game.

I wonder how the conversation played out.

Writer 1: Yeah, okay. So we put them on an island that looks abandoned.
Writer 2: Okay?
Writer 1: And then we put in a policeman.
Writer 2: A police-- what?
Writer 1: Yeah, a policeman. And then we'll make him seem normal until the player gets close enough, and then he'll go ARRRGHGARBL. And then he'll laugh and shoot and track the player down and the player will piss him/herself.
Writer 2: Genius!
Writers: -high five-
If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?
Bowl Cat XL
Just Passing Through
Location: Otherworld boiler room, slipping through those frustrating bars

Post by Bowl Cat XL »

Nah, 2 will always be the scariest for me, but the Penumbra series was definitely a contender for that position. 3's otherworld just seems so... peaceful. It just seems right. I loved it, which made the game a lot less scary, but I really enjoyed the abstract otherworld. If they go back to rust for the next one, I'd like to see the next otherworld be abstract like this one's. Crap, now I want to play through it again. Perhaps that's not a bad thing...
Mechanical tender love
Plug in socket wonder drug
Electric action animal grind
Thudthudthud clocks the time
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Scariest game of all time? I think not. That title easily goes to Pac-Man. I mean, being chased relentlessly by ghost people while you're navigating a maze of twisty passages is just soooo freaky. Now if only it turned out Pac-Man was really dead and was just a delusion conjured up by a distressed Ms. Pac Man, then it could easily become the biggest twist in video game history!

But in all seriousness, I think the title goes to number 2.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^Don't even say anything about the pink ghost. This is the worst. . . Everytime he/she is near me I go nuts. . .

Anyway, SH3 had some scary parts but it's not the scariest of'em all. To be honest none of the SH games are that scary (at least for me). They just make you jump or go into the "wtf?" mood but that's about it. Seriously.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Ha pacman, but those ghost were were pretty damn relentless, kind of like pyramid head you just can't stop them.

Anyway to me silent hill 2 was scary but the atmosphere had more of a depressing, dreamlike feel to it. While silent hill 3 had more of an "all hell has broken lose everything hates you" feel to it. The silent hill series scares were meant to disturb you and make you feel tense(without even being in any real danger sometimes). They don't really rely on jump scares, some people find this more scary. I think silent hill games are scarier than most horror movies.

And Bowl Cat XL I don't think peaceful is really a word i would use to describe any of the otherworlds in any silent hill game.
Travis
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Travis »

I'm gonna play the SH1 card once again.

Its environment, music, atmosphere, sickness and WTFness has left a golden mark in gaming history.

SH3 being a direct sequel to SH1, uses the same aesthetics in horror development. SH3 might be one step higher due to the more technologically advanced generation it was created in.

But to me, SH1 will always be the king.

On a side note, I will never understand why some people think of SH2 as the scariest... Like SPRINGS02 said, it's more depressing than it is scary. I'm not saying its not scary at all, but there's really no comparison with SH1 or 3.

If I had to rate each SH game based on its scariness, I would say:
SH1>SH3>SH4>>SH0>SH2>>>SM>Homecoming

P.S. Here's a Top 10 scariest video games video from gametrailers I find quite enjoyable and I recommend watching. :wink:
Sega is paying close attention. Every vote, every facebook like counts. Keep spreading the word!!
spunkytexan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by spunkytexan »

the original will always be the scariest to me, followed by 3.
Now the dream of this life must end, and so, too, must the dreamers within it.
LSSJGamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by LSSJGamer »

Scariest? No.... Goriest and Grossest? Yes! The game definately has the freaky factor, and is one enjoyable ride with plenty of other things going for it. But it is not the scariest for me.
*Insert Legendary signature here*
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

No Silent Hill game is the scariest game forever.

I'm afraid that the title belongs to Fatal Frame (specifically II: Crimson Butterfly) :)
Harlequin
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Harlequin »

This isn't the scariest of all time, but I do find it eerie. I find the whole series creepy and eerie with just a few "WTF" moments that make me jump out of my chair, but none of them were genuinely scary.

For the whole "The first one you play will be the scariest" theory: The second game was my first in the series to play, and to be honest I find it one of the least scariest out of all of them. Someone suggested it was because I'd already seen the movie so I'd been exposed to Pyramid Head, and therefore somewhat immune to his appearance in the game, but I didn't find him scary in the movie either. I'm just a hard person to scare. We all have different levels of terror, which is why we all have different fears. That's not to say that for other people the first SH game they play can't possibly be the scariest; it just wasn't for me. Perhaps I'm just one of those irritating exceptions.

I don't think there's really a video game out there that's genuinely scared me, though Siren did make me cringe the first time I played it... but that was in a room with other girls who squealed like spider monkeys every time I hit a button, so my nerves weren't exactly strong. -_-
pistukas
Just Passing Through

Post by pistukas »

I believe it depends on the way you play it. Whenever I play a SH game I always wait for the late evening/night, turn all lights off, lock myself alone in my room, turn the volume up and play being as serious as I can about it. And it's a pretty bad ass experience, especially with SH1 and SH3. And if you are hard sto be scared or playing it during a party with friends or in daylight, it may not look scary at all. So from MY eperience I say that SH1 and SH3 are equaly scary...
clips

Post by clips »

pistukas wrote:I believe it depends on the way you play it. Whenever I play a SH game I always wait for the late evening/night, turn all lights off, lock myself alone in my room, turn the volume up and play being as serious as I can about it. And it's a pretty bad ass experience, especially with SH1 and SH3. And if you are hard sto be scared or playing it during a party with friends or in daylight, it may not look scary at all. So from MY eperience I say that SH1 and SH3 are equaly scary...

^^^This.....it really is the only way to play any horror game. As far as it being the scariest ever i don't know., but it is the scariest in the series followed closely by prt1. Another thing is that you kinda have to let yourself be immersed in the game and approach it like it's you first time playing.

I tend to let adventure/survival games sit for 6-8 months after i've beaten them so that whenever i do go back to them. it'll feel somewhat new and fresh...with SH 2-4 it's been quite a few years since i've touched any of those games, so maybe it's time i've fired up one of those games.
Kaiza Killa

Re: Scariest Game of All Time?

Post by Kaiza Killa »

gothicsnowman wrote:That's what I think. Why? Brookhaven's otherworld. Never remember myself being more freaked out. I mean, come on. The storeroom? Freakin genius!
I can agree, being that Silent Hill 3 was the first game of the series that I played, that this game, for me, was the most frightening.

For some reason, even though Silent Hill 4: The Room, is one of my least favourites of the series, I found that it was the most scariest of the series, looking at it objectively.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
Thanatos
Just Passing Through

Post by Thanatos »

I wouldn`t say that it was the scariest, but it was definitely the "most aggressive" Silent Hill. It`s focus wasn`t melancholy or depression but hellish suffering, pain and anger. It was more about consistent terror unlike the other games of the series.
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Yeah silent hill 3's atmosphere gave you a feeling that everything in the atmosphere hated you and was angry, had an all hell has broken lose type of feel. I would say silent hill 4 is the second scariest next to 3. But as far as overall scariest game ever it would have to be silent hill 3 fatal frame series and siren blood curse. I haven't beaten silent hill 1. But from what i played it's pretty creepy especially considering the outdated graphics.
SHF

Post by SHF »

i thought it was a very terrifying game.
The mall setting was really intense
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]