Cybil: The Black Queen's Pawn (SPOILERS + Long Theory)

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Cybil: The Black Queen's Pawn (SPOILERS + Long Theory)

Post by Droo »

Who is Cybil Bennet? Why is she in Silent Hill?

Upon close examination, everyone who appears in Silent Hill has a purpose. Dahlia is
trying to hunt down Alessa. Kauffman has been dragged into Alessa's reality to be
punished for what he did to her. Lisa is the bearer of the Hospital's Virun VII Crest (as suggested by Moeru and F), and is
there to non-violently try and impede Harry's progress by appealing to his sensitive side
(also the fact that she's a hot blonde nurse could sway Harry to staying with her). Harry is
there because he was with Cheryl when she got sucked into Alessa's reality, and perhaps
Cheryl herself subconsciously wanted to be saved from her fate by Harry.

The only person who doesn't make any sense for being there is Cybil.

Now, it could be argued that she's there for the same reason Harry is: because she was
near Cheryl when the dimensional transfer occured. However, consider her smashed-up
bike: when Harry crashes, he awakens in his totaled Jeep, appearing slightly injured by it
(he limps out of his van, and it could account for his slow running in the game). This
seems to indicate that his crash also happened in Alessa's reality. That is to say, the shift
from reality to Alessa's reality didn't negate the Jeep crash. By extension, Cybil's crash on
a motorbike at a high enough speed to bend the wheel like it is would have killed Cybil,
easily. However, when we encounter Cybil next, she is fine. She doesn't even mention any
motorcycle crash.

Also consider Cybil’s appearances in the game. She appears for the second time after
Harry is butchered by Alessa’s demons, in the cafe with a mysteriously unharmed Harry.
She provides Harry with a gun, and talks to Harry long enough for him to remember what
happened and to get hell-bent on finding Cheryl. After Cybil leaves, Harry also
conveniently finds a map of Silent Hill, the flashlight, and the pocket radio all in the Cafe.
All these items are vital to Harry’s survival and direction in Silent Hill. Everything in this
sequence brings Harry closer to finding Cheryl. Does that not seem a little coincidental to
you?

She also mentions not seeing any monsters. Now, we know that in games like Silent Hill 2
that Silent Hill may be what you make it. However, one must remember that the
circumstances surrounding the events of SH2 and SH1 are markedly different. Whereas in
SH2 the town punishes those with a guilty conscience, the events of SH1 (and SH3, but
that’s another story) are much less random. It’s like a very calculated chess game. Dahlia
Vs. Alessa. The reality the first game takes place in is controlled and conjured by Alessa
(and to a smaller extent, Dahlia, since she can enter Misty Silent Hill). Therefore, the
appearance of Alessa’s monsters should be seen by everyone in this reality. Indeed we
know that Lisa sees them (“I’m not the only one who’s walking around out there”), as
well as Kaufmann (obviously, since he kills an air screamer and is attacked by one of the
monkey creatures). Dahlia never says one way or the other if she sees the monsters, but I
think she would. Out of everyone in Misty Silent Hill, Dahlia would be the one person
Alessa would most like to see killed. However, I think Dahlia can cloak her presense in
Misty Silent Hill, and is able to avoid being slaughtered because of it. However, even if
Dahlia cannot see the monsters, that fact would also act to support the theory I am about
to present to you.

So besides Dahlia’s questionable ability to see the monsters, every single other person in
the game can see the monsters. Except for Cybil. Why? Let us look at Cybil’s next
appearance: The Green Lion Antique Shop.

She appears just as Harry is about to enter into Dahlia’s Chapel. She expresses some
concern for Harry, but her main reason for appearing here is to tell Harry that Cheryl is
headed towards the lake. Once again, she provides some direction to Harry about how to
find Alessa, who is now in control of Cheryl. The timing of this could also have been an
attempt to keep Harry from entering Dahlia’s Chapel. Cybil claims not to know who
Dahlia Gillespie is. This is contradicted later. I will explain when I reach that point of the
game. She also drops another important hint for my theory: she discusses the drug ring
and the Police Department’s inability to find out who’s behind it.

Upon learning of Cheryl’s whereabouts and finding the Chapel, Harry is once again sucked
into Dark Silent Hill, Alessa’s second reality that Dahlia cannot enter as long as the Seal of
Metratron is present and Alessa is at full strength. He reappears in front of Lisa, who is
able to provide information on Dahlia Gillespie to Harry. Alessa is trying to out Dahlia for
who she really is. However, Lisa can only tell Harry what she knows, and Harry is soon
whisked away back into the Antique Shop.

Harry’s progress back to the Hospital is greatly impeded by a very aggressive assault by
Alessa. The Cheryl part of Alessa’s psyche manages to break through and cries out for her
father, much like it did at the school. Harry makes his way back to Alchemilla and asks
Lisa for information on how to get back to the lake. Lisa, who despite being a creature of
Alessa’s, still exercises some of her own free will and tells Harry what he wants to know.
She then suddenly acts frightened as Harry is about to leave and begs him not to leave.
Alessa is trying to use her to impede Harry’s progress. However, Harry responds by
suggesting Lisa come with him, which Lisa cannot do, as the Virun VII Crest. She has no
choice but to stay behind alone, as Harry is obviously not going to stay with her.

Alessa then tries to kill Harry repeatedly once again, through the Giant Moth and the
monsters in the sewer. Failing, she allows Harry to find Kaufmann, perhaps hoping that
Harry will discover the truth about him and, by extension, Dahlia, which Harry does get
closer to through his find of the Aglaophotis and the drugs.

When Harry arrives at the boat, he again encounters Dahlia Gillespie, who now seems to
be able to make her way into Alessa’s Dark Silent Hill. She is still, however, unable to
locate and subdue Alessa until Harry gets close enough first and uses the Flauros on her.
Cybil also makes her first appearance in Dark Silent Hill, and appears frightened and
confused, but still doesn’t come right out and mention any monsters. After Dahlia’s
arrival, Cybil doesn’t seem to directly acknowledge Dahlia, or speak to her. Upon
revealing the two remaining locations Alessa will go, Cybil heads to the Amusement Park,
where she is attacked by a parasite.

Now, where it gets a little murky here is the outcome of the battle between Cybil and
Harry. Regardless of whether it is the Good + ending, or the Good ending that are the true
endings of Silent Hill (Regardless of what Lost Memories says, neither ending contradicts
the events of Silent Hill 3). If the Good ending is indeed true, Cybil is killed at this point,
and my detailing of her appearances is finished, and I can move on to my theory itself.
However, let us consider the Good + ending, for more tidbits of interesting info come
from the two remaining Cybil scenes that occur after this fight.

First of all, Cybil discusses Cheryl’s true origins with Harry, and further strengthens his
resolve to find Alessa. The Flauros weakens Alessa enough for Dahlia to finally make her
move, and everything literally goes to Hell from there. Alessa’s realities merge and
fracture, and Lisa disintegrates.

In the final scene in the Good + ending, Cybil directly acknowledges Dahlia for the first
and only time, drawing her gun on her. Dahlia speaks about the Talisman Of Metratron,
and says to Cybil that “WE (emphasis added) must be thankful to that man for his help.”
Cybil fires on Dahlia, but is blown backwards by Dahlia’s forcefield. Kaufman intervenes,
Harry kills the Incubus, and both Harry and Cybil escape with Heather as Alessa uses the
last of her strength to open a gate to reality, and to have Lisa kill Kaufmann.

So, what in God’s name am I getting at, you ask? Well, by analyzing Cybil’s scenes, I
noticed (and hopefully you did too) that she seems to act in the directly opposite way from
Lisa. Rather than impeding his progress, Cybil appears to help Harry and to give him
direction towards Alessa/Cheryl, rather than away. The only aspect that Lisa aids Harry
more than Cybil in is with regards to Dahlia Gillespie’s identity. While Dahlia/Cybil lead
Harry to Alessa, Alessa/Lisa guide Harry closer to the truth about Dahlia and Kaufmann.

My theory is that much as Lisa is Alessa’s subtle pawn to impede Harry, Cybil is Dahlia’s
pawn to aid Harry.

Consider Cybil’s knowledge of the Silent Hill Police Department’s investigation of the
drug ring. Obviously there has been some communication between Brahms and Silent Hill.
I believe that the SHPD may have asked the BPD for help, and Cybil may have been one
of, if not the only, officer aiding the SHPD. The FMV of Cybil in the SH1 intro video of
her getting a call from Silent Hill and heading to the town is not, as previously thought,
someone from the town calling for help, because there is no one in danger in Silent Hill
who is still in reality. I believe Cybil got too close to the truth, and was killed for it,
possibly by being run off the road on her motorcycle, the image of which Harry sees on
the highway.

Cybil would make the perfect pawn for Dahlia. She never encountered Alessa, so she’s a
non-entity in Alessa’s mind. If Dahlia could plant the Memory Of Cybil into Misty Silent
Hill, much the same way she planted her soul self into Misty Silent Hill, then Alessa would
have no plan factored in to account for her. One could argue it’s possible that Alessa
wouldn’t even know about Cybil’s presense unless it was made clear to her. She’s way off
Alessa’s radar, so Cybil could work behind the scenes to help Harry. Alessa was obviously
aware of Harry, and took measures to stop him. Dahlia’s not stupid. She’d know this
would happen. What better contingency plan than to give Harry and ally who is invisible
to Alessa?

Cybil doesn’t see the monsters because as Alessa does not know she’s there, she doesn’t
conjure any up to attack her. It’s not until Lakeside is engulfed in Dark Silent Hill and
Dahlia and Cybil make their way into it that Cybil is promptly either removed from the
picture entirely, or at least swept to the side for a time.

Much like Lisa was clueless about her own true nature, Cybil too is clueless about her
nature. She is compelled to do certain things like help Harry and provide him with clues to
Alessa’s whereabouts by the person pulling her strings (Dahlia) much as Lisa is compelled
to stay in the Hospital and beg Harry to stay with her by the person pulling HER strings
(Alessa). It’s very much like a chess game between Dahlia and Alessa. Harry’s sort of a
wild card that can be used by either side, so each has their own piece on the board to try
and sway him one way or the other.

Dahlia hints at some sort of connection between herself and Cybil in the climax of the
Good + ending, one that Cybil doesn’t seem to be aware of. Dahlia and Alessa are now
focused on each other, and their soldiers (Cybil and Lisa) are no longer maintained so
strongly by either one. In the case of Lisa, Alessa cannot maintain her at all, so she
becomes a Puppet Nurse. Cybil is now left to her own devices, as Dahlia has no further
use for her.

So how could Cybil subvert Alessa’s senses? We know that Alessa can keep Dahlia blind
to her and far away through sheer force of her will and power. However, once her mental
powers are weakened by the Flauros, Dahlia is finally able to make her move. This
suggests that Alessa can only consciously manipulate the variables in her world. Without
any knowledge of Cybil, she can’t touch her. Once Cybil appears in Alessa’s hideout realm
of Dark Silent Hill, she is able to detect her, as well as Dahlia, and steps up her assault on
everyone involved.

If Cybil has been conjured by The Order, she would presumably cease to exist once Dahlia
died unless someone else had done the conjuring. Leonard, perhaps? Either way, it’s
probable that Cybil would not be able to leave Silent Hill after their escape. She would
either disappear or simply not be able to go with Harry. It’s hard to know, since it’s either
that the Good ending is true and that even spirit Cybil is now dead, or because Harry jsut
doesn’t mention Cybil in SH3 at all. Perhaps she said she was going back into town for
help. Maybe she and Harry went into the real town and Harry left from there. Really, due
to Cybil’s noninvolvement in SH3, none of this is important.

I have to go fall down now, for my fingers are bleeding.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Post by Son_of_Kauffman »

Maybe Dalhia also uses her powers to keep the monsters away....
Spetsnaz of the Interior Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia
Spetsnaz sil Vnutrenniye Voiska Ministerstva Vnutrennikh Del

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Possible. Or maybe Alessa couldn't kill Dahlia at all. We know from the vision Harry has in Dahlia's house that Alessa still cared about her psycho mother.

Not that this is really what my theory is about. O_o
Lives in the mirror"
Faded.Memories
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Faded.Memories »

WOW. Wow. Just..wow that is a seriously hot theory, and I really enjoyed reading it, AND it makes sense to me! BRAVO!!! :lol:
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/sephorasagredo/faded.gif[/img]

[i] ...are my screams just a whisper? [/i]
setsuna_PT
Just Passing Through

Post by setsuna_PT »

maibe they are not monsters and dalila doesnt have problems in beeing there
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,setsuna-unl-PT.png[/img][/url]
... kimi wa hikari... boku wa kage...
LaraeGunn
Subway Guard

Post by LaraeGunn »

Fantastic read, Drew.

*clapping*
put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

I like this theory alot. Lisa is Alessa's will as Cybil is Dahlia's... It's all very possible! Great work and a great, long read. But, uhh.. Your brain is burning, better take it outta the oven.
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Maybe the monsters are only visible to Harry, and therefore, they can only hurt him...

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
F

Post by F »

Much ado about nothing. Cybil is simply a tool for Harry to confess his secrets.

However, she's not supposed to have such a role; she's supposed to die. It just happens that Alessa had in her a mother figure, but Alessa isn't in complete control of her feelings; the otherworld was created by her with the aid of the Virun VII Crest, however, God is feeding on that nightmare and Dahlia has an influence on God itself--thus explaining how she got herself intact from all that mess. Therefore, it's a misconception that Alessa planted the parasite in Cybil's back; Dahlia didn't didn't send her to the park for nothing--it was an entrapment from Dahlia.

Yes, folks, Dahlia does have an influence on the otherworld as well--let's remember she was the most powerful priestess of the Mother Of God cult sect.
Droo

Post by Droo »

How would Alessa view Cybil as a mother figure when she never met Cybil in her entire life?

It's too random, and it's too much of a stretch. Alessa isn't psychic. She has no idea who Cybil is.
Lives in the mirror"
F

Post by F »

What matters is the bonding she perceives between Harrold and Cybil.

Too much ado...
Droo

Post by Droo »

I would be more inclined to explore your suggestion if you actually backed it up with info to refute MY theory, rather than just to support your own. Simply dismissing mine doesn't exactly convince me that I'm wrong.
Lives in the mirror"
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Dalhia only wanted to be the mother of God, and, therefore, she used Harry to get to Alessa.

The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Dalhia only wanted to be the mother of God
No she didn't. Alessa was to be the Mother of God; Dahlia is the Grandmother of God.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
F

Post by F »

I would be more inclined to explore your suggestion if you actually backed it up with info to refute MY theory, rather than just to support your own. Simply dismissing mine doesn't exactly convince me that I'm wrong.

I've just did back up my counter theory on my first post in here. Also, I've added that the bonding between her and Harrold could very well be seen as a way for Alessa to see Cybil as a mother figure, as she was helping Harrold herself.

Secondly, I stand by my convictions that Cybil was trapped by Dahlia in the Amusement Park, which quite frankly, is nowhere near as far fetched as an assumption that she was summoned by the Order to fulfill Dahlia's plans.
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Why would Cybil work for the Order?

KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Drewfus' theory don't say that Cybil works for the Order. just that dahlñia is using her "ghost" for make sure Harry get Alessa...

Anyway, the special scene where Harry is holding the new baby with Cybil isn't located in the REAL Silent Hill? I guess this cause Alessa and Dahlia are dead now...
F

Post by F »

Good+ ending: "hell is repetition".
white rabbit
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by white rabbit »

Off subject: Personal belief-hell is all your fear magified to be unbearable and repetitive for as long as God and the Devil see fit.
On topic- It does make sence that Cybil could be controled by Dahlia, so would that mean when she passed Harry on the road, she was a ghost? Or after, right before she meets Harry?
"My days of taking you serious are close to a middle." - Firefly
[img]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f26/iczerfae/All_SHf.jpg[/img]
Droo

Post by Droo »

Cybil passing Harry on the road is, I believe, an image of the last thing Cybil did before she died. I think she was run off the road by someone in The Order and killed.

She's not consciously working with Dahlia. She's a puppet, just like Lisa. Both have good intentions and are innocent of the fact that they're being used by dark forces.

Dahlia (or whoever placed her there) probably made Cybil appear and pass Harry before she crashes to give Harry a reason to trust her: He thinks she's just like him, and passerby who got sucked into Alessa's realm.

In regards to F: I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the Cybil Mother Figure thing might explain why Alessa/Cheryl didn't remove Cybil from the beginning. Maybe she hesitated because of the bonding she saw going on between her father and Cybil, and couldn't do it until Cybil became a major threat.
Lives in the mirror"