Why did you like it? (or not)

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

ShadowBaby
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ShadowBaby »

very constructive and well thought out spoiler there.
I'm currently out in search of myself. If I happen come come back before I return, please ask me to wait for myself.
Des573
Just Passing Through

Post by Des573 »

I liked the monster designs and overall atmosphere. I was disappointed that Rose didn't fight any of the monsters at all. The only scary part was the nurse twitching.
PH appearance was good though.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The film has a wonderful storyline, IMHO. I'd never even heard of the SH games before the film, but I liked the movie well enough to play all of them afterwards. The concept of alternate realities and doppelgangers isn't well explored in American movies, so it was something different and interesting. The fact that it was almost completely devoid of jump scares made it even better. Alessa's story was disturbing and saddening, even more so because you can see her innocence in the form of Sharon and her hatred in the form of Dark Alessa, showing how extreme the change in her soul was. At the very least, it wasn't anything like just about every other horror film out there, and it largely inspired me to enter the film industry. A great movie overall, IMO.
ShadowBaby
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ShadowBaby »

I have to admit, JR, that my first impression of you wasn't flattering, largely due to our little, um, discussion in the movie sequel thread, but I think I understand a little better now. What department of the film indusrty are you aiming for?
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Writing and directing, though I want to start with writing and work my way up from there. My goal is to help return a psychological dimension to horror movies instead of the mounds of garbage they release every year (Captivity, Haunting of Molly Hartley, Saw anything but 1, Hostel, etc.).
Speechless
Just Passing Through

Post by Speechless »

I really enjoyed the movie - it was well adapted on how the areas we know and love from the games are featured in the movie - such as the bowling alley.

I mainly enjoyed the justice they gave the monsters - how realistic and how accurate they were to the game monsters. The nurses I liked especially.
[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/o0vwxs.png[/img]
TerrorInTheDepthsOfThefog
Just Passing Through

Post by TerrorInTheDepthsOfThefog »

I enjoyed the movie, The story line was okay. What i think its screwed up about the story line is that when people go buy they game they don't know anything about it. The movie was so far from the storyline that's the only thing that drove me mad. The whole time watching it i had to explain things to my friends and sister whom thought this was what the game was about. I told them to watch play throughs of all the games then they will understand the game story line. If the movie wasnt named silent hill i would have like it more. I thought it was okay(as stated in the beginning)
i suppose music is my first and only love.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

...when people go buy they game they don't know anything about it.
People should play the games before watching the movie, or atleast have some knowledge of the game, unless they realize that the movie is not like the game, so they know its their fault if they're confused.

I didn't expect it to be 100% like the game, but I thought it was a pretty good movie. The acting was fantastic, all except one part with Jodelle Ferland..."Who did that!? I DON'T LIKE THAT MOMMY!" and "I didn't...MOMMY!" You could just tell how fake it was. >_<; The monster costumes were so friggin' sweet. You can't deny it. They were so cool, not to mention the effects. I didn't like, however, that they changed Dahlia's personality. I really like characters from games to have the same similarities if they're put into the movie adaptation. They didn't change the story too much, which I liked. It followed the game's story for the most part: Girl wants to go (Well, more like needs) to go to Silent Hill, they go, she gets lost, go through Hell to find her, finds her, leaves with a new girl (atleast is what I think. I think that Rose and ALESSA leave Silent Hill together). Over all, it was probably a 8/10. It was good. I
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

I thought I'd posted in here. Apparently not.

I have pretty mixed feelings about the movie. Some things were really bothersome, and some things were great.
The things I loved were Cybil, the look and atmosphere of the town, Cybil, the monster encounters, Cybil, Akira's music, Cybil, and the transitions. My single favorite moment was the first transition and Rose going down the alley with the lighter. Really nostalgic and atmospheric. The transition in the school was great, too.

I'd have liked the story and characters to be more accurate, but when I think about how it can all be put into a movie, I don't feel that an absolute terrible job was done.
However, the whole cult didn't need to be in it. They bother me a lot. Alessa didn't need to spell everything out in the corniest dialogue imaginable to Rose. The revenge scene in the church was over the top. And I loathed what happened to Cybil.

The good points of the movie still get me to watch it now and then, though.
Last edited by phantomess on 15 Oct 2011, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowBaby
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ShadowBaby »

^I agree with everything you just said. I felt the end got a little preachy, but then realized that Rose was just being used by Dark Alessa, so what she had to say didn't matter so much.
I'm currently out in search of myself. If I happen come come back before I return, please ask me to wait for myself.
Modesty
Just Passing Through

Post by Modesty »

I really liked the movie. It had one of my favourite actors in it (Sean Bean), it caught the atmosphere and I followed it easily...scary seeing some of the monsters in the cinema! Eeek!

However, I personally think that they should just have had Sean Bean as Harry and done it properly...or James! He always reminds me of James when I play.
Though I can't know for sure, how things worked out for us
No matter how hard it gets, you have to realize
We weren't put on this earth to suffer and cry
We were made for being happy, so be happy
For me, for you, please...
lyneea
Just Passing Through

Post by lyneea »

Yeah...I always found it more touching that it is a father running after his daughter so frantically rather than the mother. The mother will do anything for her child has been done a lot in horror....I liked the dynamic of seeing it in a father.
[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/CBminstrel/silent_hill_banner.jpg[/img]
Modesty
Just Passing Through

Post by Modesty »

Me too! It just...would have suited better!
Though I can't know for sure, how things worked out for us
No matter how hard it gets, you have to realize
We weren't put on this earth to suffer and cry
We were made for being happy, so be happy
For me, for you, please...
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

One thing that still irks me is how he changed Harry into Rose because apparently it's too unbelievable to imagine a father being so hellbent on keeping his daughter safe as to go through hell for her. Now, that really irks me -- I don't care much for dads but I think that's some shite. I do like the mother/daughter theme they have in the movie, and I understand they needed that to work for the whole "Mother is God in the eyes of a child," bit, but there are different ways to say "it works better if Harry is a woman."

I think the film had great potential but either wasn't able to fully harness it (Krist. suspects executive meddling) or its aim was a bit too high for its reach. That's all right. I'm not expecting perfection. I just hope the sequel's okay.

I rather liked the cinematography and camera angles a lot. The attention to background details, costumes -- that's another thing I enjoyed. Honestly, the only thing I didn't like too much were when some of the characters interacted. They just... fell apart. They're strong characters each in their own way, but it becomes a bit bizarre in certain scenes. I'm very picky when it comes to writing, though, especially in terms of dialog.

Y'know, I think I'll just go on record saying the movie would have benefited immensely if it was mostly silent. Keep the ambiance, the music, the noises of the monsters -- keep a few exchanges between the characters in as well, but I'd find it pretty badass if no one really spoke at all.

I think I'll experiment with this next time I watch the movie, muting it for long stretches of time and seeing how that works :3
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

What really irks me is the grammatical error in the thread title. It drives me nuts, every time I see it.
his_fate
Just Passing Through

Post by his_fate »

Krist said:
One thing that still irks me is how he changed Harry into Rose because apparently it's too unbelievable to imagine a father being so hellbent on keeping his daughter safe as to go through hell for her.
Is that really why he changes it to that - i.e. did he say so in an interview or is it a hunch ?

It is a shame, 1 - because it would be more like SH1 and 2 - because it would be more original and I'm fed up with seeing dads get a raw deal in movie depictions.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Gans: Actually, when we decided to adapt the first game, we decided to have the hero of the first game, a guy named Harry Mason, but when we put him on the paper and tried to be very close to the original character of the game, we noticed that he was almost never acting like a man, but much more like a woman. When we decided to make him a woman, we realized that all the game was filled with women. It was almost like a complete feminine world, so then we realized that it was very interesting that "Silent Hill" was dealing with such issues as motherhood, sisterhood, immaculate conception, and we realized that was a good angle to make the film. It started as a convenient thing, making the character female, but then it became the structure of the project, and we realized that "Silent Hill" was a feminine dimension.
While I like the idea of SH = feminine dimension (and agree to it to a certain extent) I'm just a biiiiiiiit uncomfortable with how he arrived at that conclusion.

Still looking for the full interview from which this comes, mind you. That excerpt was posted on this very forum.
his_fate
Just Passing Through

Post by his_fate »

Over all I did enjoy the movie (and saw it many times like a sad fanboy) but I really don't agree with what Mr Gans says here. Maybe it was actually more to do with what would sell the movie rather than what was best for it artistically ?
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

The original script originally had no male characters at all (or atleast no male leads, I don't have any references on hand but I've seen around this forum somewhere), but then the nasty studio executives stepped in and forced the writers to include at least one male lead. I think the mother thing would have worked even more if there were no male characters at all. Mind you I didn't really mind Chris or Gucci's characters at all and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, minus most of the dialogue :P.

I think the biggest reason I enjoyed the movie is that, unlike most game to film adaptations, it did it's best to stick to the source material and actually made me feel like I was watching a Silent Hill movie, and not a movie that has nothing to do with the games and just has the name tacked on for kicks.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

>The original script originally had no male characters at all (or atleast no male leads, I don't have any references on hand but I've seen around this forum somewhere), but then the nasty studio executives stepped in and forced the writers to include at least one male lead.

I've heard this before -- but only from fans. Where's there a source for this?, or did we all just assume it based on the original script surfacing and noticing the total lack of a main male character?