How did you feel when the game ended?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Shadow
Brookhaven Receptionist

How did you feel when the game ended?

Post by Shadow »

Even though I spoiled the twist ending for myself by looking it up on YouTube, when I first played Shattered Memories as Harry walked into the lighthouse clinic, I actually came close to crying purely because I knew what was coming next. It's the first time a Silent Hill game has made me that emotional, and the last time I can remember a game doing that to me was Metal Gear Solid 3's ending where you:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Kill The Boss with her own rifle
So, what were everyone else's reactions when they got to the end of the game?
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Re: How did you feel when the game ended?

Post by simeonalo »

It was very sad. I felt that it was little short, and some extra exploration and monsters would have been better. I feel..bad for Cheryl.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

I felt like most people felt pretty sad. I mean i didn't cry or anything but it was pretty sad.
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

I was like...WTF is the final boss!

But yeah I guess a little bit of sadness I suppose especially when
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
you see that expression on Cheryl's face with the tears rolling down her eyes when realizing her dad's fate
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't think any other work of fiction has ever broken my heart quite as much, and I was fighting a lethal disease while coping with a distressed lover when I played SH2.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Wanderer
Just Passing Through

Post by The Wanderer »

Unfortunately, I also spoiled myself. I still loved the ending though, and it did make me feel sorry for Cheryl.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I was awe-struck. It was both depressing and beautiful. My reaction was a speechless and somewhat chocked up shiver. I do believe I got goosebumps.
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

Sad Sad Sad.
+ The song came in perfectly.
As the credits rolled, i felt sad, yet satisfired.

Brilliant ending.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

"Didn't I just buy this game yesterday?"
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

alone in the town wrote:"Didn't I just buy this game today? WELL TIME TO PLAY AGAIN!"
fix'd for myself

Not kidding either. I started it again right after. Beat the game twice in two days.
Shadow
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Shadow »

^ 3 times in as many days, first time the game decided not to play an ending, it just hung, I ended up having to press Pause and select Skip Cutscene, 2nd time I got Wicked And Weak (and STILL had to force myself to press X at Kaufmann's office door, after standing there for a full five minutes with my finger hovering over the button.) 3rd time Drunk Dad, when I was aiming for Sleaze and Sirens. Yesterday started my fourth run through. This game just never gets old and never stops giving.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

I don't know about that, it has some decent replayabilty but heavy rain does it much better IMO.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Technically, yes. However, I found Heavy Rain so pretentious and disappointing that I didn't want to play it again. It was the first game I ever sold back to the store.

Heavy Rain touted its emotional qualities and failed to make me give a damn. Shattered Memories was much more effective. Part of this is because Shattered Memories devoted itself to punching me once, hard and unexpectedly, while Heavy Rain was persistently and desperately trying to tug at my heartstrings for what felt like an eternity.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

I had spoiled myself for the ending, but I still felt very sad the first time I completed the game for myself. It made me feel very emotional for a bit.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Kenji wrote:Technically, yes. However, I found Heavy Rain so pretentious and disappointing that I didn't want to play it again. It was the first game I ever sold back to the store.

Heavy Rain touted its emotional qualities and failed to make me give a damn. Shattered Memories was much more effective. Part of this is because Shattered Memories devoted itself to punching me once, hard and unexpectedly, while Heavy Rain was persistently and desperately trying to tug at my heartstrings for what felt like an eternity.
Really? I don't see how it was pretentious. I found heavy rain to be a lot more enjoyable than shattered memories, and i was genuinely interested in the mystery. Shattered memories was enjoyable but extremely short. I felt that the characters in heavy rain were more realistic. I also felt that the game was made more intense by the fact that the main characters can die for good and it would be your fault if they did. Something very uncommon for a video game. I also felt the acting was a tad better, but both games had good voice acting. I got the good ending in heavy rain but i think it would have made me sadder than shattered memories ending if i had gotten the bad ending because of the fact that i could of prevented it.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I felt the same way I did through out the entire game:

"WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING?!"

Then I was quickly entertained by the psych profile outcome and how incorrect it was. Overall the game just resonated on the same old tone of SH1, so I wasn't shocked or surprised. I was in awe the entire game. Kinda hard to be terrified when all I wanted to do was stop and examine the surroundings.
mr. mason
Just Passing Through

Post by mr. mason »

i played it through the day i got my preorder. i figured out what was going on after harry's last call to dahlia. part of me didn't want to belive it but once i relized what the light house it sank in. i wasent bawling but i did shed a few tears during the credits.
Words are our worst enimies, Only actions speak the truth.
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

My emotions were kind of mixed.
I was feeling like it didn't make sense, especially the damn ending that I got. I wasn't sad since my ending was garbage, I probably would have been if I had gotten one of the emotional endings. WELL I did kind of feel sad for fake Harry.
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Joseph »

It was a great ending. When Harry stepped into the room I started looking at Harry and then at Dr. K. Then again a Harry and then again Dr. K. I guess I was in the middle of a nervous breakdown. o.o
http://twitter.com/quieterworlds
Forget it, Jake. This is Chinatown.
TANK
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TANK »

it was sad and close to home for me. i have a friend, and her mother passed away due to a brain anurism(sp?). and she called me crying the next day after it had happened and she kept telling me it was a bad dream and she wanted to wake up. 2 years later and she still has not recovered, she is out of the hospital now, but she doesnt go out anymore, and i only hear from her through her older sister. the ending of this game brought all these feelings back, and i wont lie, i did cry because of how real it was for me.
It's a world of someone's nightmarish dillusions come to life.