Kaufmans sexual/non sexual abstrcat images test ... ?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

^
I Just replayed the game again.
THIS time i got the noose, it was huge compared to what i got the first time.
Now my guess of what i got the first time.... A pill?

And the Freud thing was just a guess...
Green Lion
Just Passing Through

Post by Green Lion »

All test pictures
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
SasaYamaoka
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SasaYamaoka »

AWESOME !
thank you Green Lion !
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

Awesome indeed!
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

I've been trying to figure out what all the death cards were, thanks!
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

AuraTwilight wrote:I've been trying to figure out what all the death cards were, thanks!
Same here....and none of the images appear to involve anything positive,....so it's no wonder Dr.K gives you a negative response whenever you pick any of the images. It's great to see what the images represent, because i couldn't see anything sexual about those images at all....nice find lion!...
butters
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by butters »

I put them all as nonsexual cause I didnt feel anything with any of them. They just looked like random colors except for the one which was obviously a skull. What does that say about me? :|
Myrrh Macho Sehr Gacho
Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Sky »

Is that screenshot taken from the Wii version? Does the PS2 version have black and white blobs, I don't remember them being colour? I may just be imagining that. I'm not very good at remembering colours.

Both times I've played the game I think I've chosen the car, the animal skull and the dagger as being "sexual" symbols because they of a sort of testes/phallic thing going on in all three. I should pick different cards next time!

As for the sex=death thing, I presumed that was a reference to the age-old observation that if we were all immortal there would be no need for procreation. "The punishment for sex is death", as the saying goes. The pleasure of sex is to encourage the continuation of the species, because living things eventually die.
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

I usually think that 3 or 4 of the cards are sexual. I remember he once flipped one around, and it was a knife. And he also once flipped another one around, and I think it had an animals skull.
To me they resemble a females inner sexual organs. Like, a frontal drawing of a vagina with ovaries. No one agrees?
otto2302
Just Passing Through

Post by otto2302 »

On one video I saw (for wii) there was a rotten apple or something like that :D
Artstation

"It comes from nowhere to awaken the man with pyramid helmet to his mission".
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Kaufmans sexual/non sexual abstrcat images test ... ?

Post by Joseph »

I found 6 out of 7 images to be sexual.
http://twitter.com/quieterworlds
Forget it, Jake. This is Chinatown.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

If I remember correctly, I thought all but the gun were sexual.

EDIT: I apologize for making a one line post right here. I also forgot to thank Green Lion for the pictures--that was very nice and helpful!
Last edited by SilentWren on 20 Sep 2010, edited 1 time in total.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
lain of the wired
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Well, now, that is a find. Thanks, Green Lion. Boy did they stack the deck against us.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I love the gun. I laughed like a mentally challenged seal when I got that. Most of the images aren't sexual to me, aside from the 2 skulls. But for some reason the gun pointed toward the viewer and the car crash are so unrelated to sex to me. So fucking random. I've heard of a lot of thing that get people hot (I myself kinda of think it would be fun to introduce knife play into the bedroom) but who get's turned on by a crashed car or a gun?

...each to their own.
JetFace
Just Passing Through

Post by JetFace »

I always get the car or the knife, I should really keep track of which ones I choose all the time... The skull and hanging rope seem obvious that they were non-sexual, but hey maybe some people enjoy torture sex so maybe that's why they have those cards lol
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Harrys_Girl wrote:but who get's turned on by a crashed car or a gun?
James Spader can get turned on by anything.
henrieschnee
Just Passing Through

Post by henrieschnee »

If you're curious about his remark that death and sex are two sides of the same coin, you might find this interesting reading material: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_drive (and a translation of the source http://www.bartleby.com/276/4.html). In a nutshell, Freud at some point of his career began to question his own "pleasure principle" (which basically states that all our actions are more or less designed to maximize our pleasure and avoid pain) since it wasn't apt to explain certain psychological phenomenas like masochism or repeated nightmares of war traumata.
The "death drive" (often falsely translated as the "death instinct"), he speculated, might be a subconscious tendency of all living beings to return to a pre-organic, lifeless and mindless existence.

I'm not an expert on the subject, so I better stop explaining before I say something wrong - you can read the rest in the linked article.

Freud's point is this: There is a death drive (which would later be associated with Thanatos, the greek god of the underworld), and there is a "life" drive to counteract it (associated with Eros, the god of sex).
Thus, what Kaufmann's trying to say isn't that sex equals death, but that sex and death together form a whole.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

Thanatos wasn't the god of the underworld but rather the personification of death (Child of night and darkness and brother to sleep). I know my myths.

(I know next to nothing about psychology though, but maybe I should try learning a little since both my sister and girlfriend are studying it and when the two most important women in your life are studying to become psychologists I guess you should start worrying.)
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

I found a couple of them quite sexual. I easily see a vagina (anatomical view) and ovaries on one of the pictures. I think it was a knife on the backside, but I'm not entirely sure. And yes, all of the cards have death symbols on the back