How old were you when you played the first silent hill?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Weyoun
Just Passing Through

Re: How old were you when you played the first silent hill?

Post by Weyoun »

I was 13 at the time. I was already a fan of the Resident Evil series and was interested in trying a new horror game. I saw this game being advertised in GamePro magazine and looked forward to playing it. I got home from school one day and saw that my older brother had rented it for me. The game just blew me away...and gave me nightmares for months. *thumbs up* It's still the scariest game I've ever played.
Evil Rage42
Just Passing Through

Post by Evil Rage42 »

I bought it when i was 14. Then the game didn't work so i didn't get a chance to play it. The game was scratched everywhere. I took it back. They said it was the last one.
Apatheria
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apatheria »

It was 8 years ago in 2002, and I was a wee lad of 15. I had only recently gotten interested in horror films, and then horror games became an interest of mine as well after playing and loving Clock Tower: First Fear on SNES. So I picked up Silent Hill, having heard it was a terrifying game, but knowing very little aside from that. And, well...it kinda changed a lot of things for me.

I still have that copy from 8 years ago, which I treasure dearly...as pathetic as that may sound.
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

^Pathetic? I'd call it smart, given how rare the game is nowadays.
Apatheria
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Apatheria »

You raise a good point. Come to think of it, It's rare for SH1 to be sold for under $40 nowadays.
Lozzie
Just Passing Through

Post by Lozzie »

I cant remember how old i was when i saw SH1. I know how i came across it though. I borrowed Metal Gear Solid from my friend and saw there was a demo of this game called Silent Hill so being curious i put the disc in. As soon as the opening scene hit me i was hooked. I couldn't get enough of it. Shame it was only a demo :P
JehanSunderland
Just Passing Through

Post by JehanSunderland »

I must admit, I was a bit older than most of you when I first played SH1. It was early this year and I was 17.
I discovered SH a bit late, through SH3 in 2009, and then worked my way backwards through SH2 and finally SH1.
And even after playing the rest of the series, it still kinda surprised me in terms of how scary it was. Never in any later installment have the streets of Silent Hill been as tense and dangerous as in the original, with all those super-fast Monkeymen who it's almost posssible to lose without killing them.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

I played Silent Hill when I was 16 for the first time. I was terrified and didn't want to play it, but let my friend. Now it's been over 2 years and I'm immune to most things seen as disturbing and/or scary in any of the games (the ones I've played anyway -> 1, 2, 3, some of 4, some of Origins, some of Homecoming (though I don't own it) and some of Shattered Memories (which I also don't own)).
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
Des573
Just Passing Through

Post by Des573 »

18, last year. I stayed up late finishing the game.
Last edited by Des573 on 15 Feb 2013, edited 1 time in total.
theREALmgo
Just Passing Through

Post by theREALmgo »

Don't hate, but I was anywher from 5 to 7 the first time. Obviously, I never finished. I always got stuck on the piano puzzle. :D
i_am_mgo.i_am_awesome.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

I played SH1 when it first came out. I was probably around 14.

I mentioned this in some other thread but I really sucked at using the map. I was more or less oblivious to it. I ended up quitting a little while after the piano puzzle. I just got bored.

Sadly if only I had kept on playing another 20 minutes or so that would've been a lot different~
c10ckw0rk
Just Passing Through

Post by c10ckw0rk »

I was about 7/8 when i first encountered it. I would hid behind the couch and watch my mom and her friends play/ sneak out and stand there when mom wasn't in the room. It scared me for a while, but I finally played for the first time when i was about 10
cadiks
Just Passing Through

Post by cadiks »

I think it was about 8-ish years ago when I first played the game, and I remember that at first I had to get my Dad to play the diner part because I would get horribly scared at the monster flying through the window :P
However, I never finished the game until recently. Because back then, when I got up to the fight with Cybil, I had no idea what to do, so I just stopped >_<
CerealKiller
Just Passing Through

Post by CerealKiller »

15 so it was only a few years ago. But I think I remember playing a demo version when I was like 10 and it disturbed me. Probably why I turned out like this :P
Miette
Just Passing Through

Post by Miette »

Seeing as it came out in '99... I'd guess I was about 10 or 11 when it came out. It never really scared me... just made my skin crawl a bit. The only thing I really "laugh" at is the graphics. Since I didn't get into video games all that much until a few years later, I just never could get use to the graphics style. Still a very good game.
If the children don't grow up, our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up.
Revolutionlost
Just Passing Through

Post by Revolutionlost »

I remember my parents playing it when it first came out in '99. I was way too young to play it myself, and my parents would make me warn them before I walked out into the living room when they played it. I always new it was Silent Hill, but I thought it was simply just a horror shoot-em-dead type game. Not untill recently did I decide to try the game for myself. I was pleasently surprised, and terrified :P
"If you really want to see Mary, you should just die. But you might be heading to a different place than Mary, James."
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

I was 12-13, not sure which. lol I remember getting it well before anyone in the UK though. My dad brought me it, and I didn't have a clue what it was, or what it was about, But I know it terrified me to my very soul. Resident Evil has nothing on this game!

Best of it is, the game is still scary now!
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
Nix
Just Passing Through

Post by Nix »

Same a Gonzo. I't was scary alot back then, but after a couple of years I kinda grew on it, and couldn't stop playing it. :wink:
Nothing lasts forever...
an a corpse cant laugh =)
Just Passing Through

Post by an a corpse cant laugh =) »

Only 13 im afraid lol! im 22 now an still in love with the series!
i can remember i had a PSone for xmas an i had porshe challenge and resident evil.
I played resident evil an was blown away with it! was my first horror game
then i got metal gear solid with a demo of silent hill an wow!....i dont think i was ready for it
scared the shit out of me and amazed me at the same time lol
Toresson
Just Passing Through

Post by Toresson »

I think I was about 13 or something like it. Loved the shizzle out of it, but didn't really get the story until later playthroughs (which were a prominent feature in periods of insomnia).
there was a hole here. it's gone now.