The Sanitarium

Truck drivin' Travis detours into Silent Hill. Tree Top Tall & Wall-to-Wall, Good Buddy.

Moderator: Moderators

LSSJGamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by LSSJGamer »

The Sanitarium wasn't that bad for me, I was able to go through the place in like 30 minutes without my light or map. (Was getting the accolades or w/e they are called) The only part that pissed me off was that stupid pill puzzle, had to do random combinations to figure it out. My 1st playthrough took me about an hour, mainly becauseof that pill puzzle.
*Insert Legendary signature here*
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

I remember the first time I opened the Sanitarium map I said, " HOLY S&@$!!!" The Sanitarium has got to be the largest Silent Hill level/area. That thing is huge!
spunkytexan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by spunkytexan »

I really like the Sanitarium level. Loved the music and the scenes with his mother.
Now the dream of this life must end, and so, too, must the dreamers within it.
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

I was intrigued by the flashbacks, but his mother's voice actor was really bad. It also annoys me that they're practically impossible to skip unless you have a mirror right next to you.
silenthill23
Just Passing Through

Post by silenthill23 »

SenorKaffee wrote:The apartment levels in Silent Hill 2 - that was tedious. The sanitarium has great atmosphere and is not too repetetive if you don't get lost. I also love how similar it is in layout to Waverly Hills.
I agree. I LOVED Waverly Hills!! I also love this level.
"If I could b anything, I'd b the water in your bath darling." - Prince
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

I kind of like this level. Sure, it's long and boring, but many events unfold and it has th e best puzzle (Doll-Pill Puzzle) in the entire SH series, IMO.
kumiko
Gravedigger

Post by kumiko »

I retract all previous statements of not liking this area, having not played it in a while and getting into things again I am warming up to it again. Knowing me the more plays I do I will probably get peeved
Youma Taisan!
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

LSSJGamer wrote:The Sanitarium wasn't that bad for me, I was able to go through the place in like 30 minutes without my light or map. (Was getting the accolades or w/e they are called) The only part that pissed me off was that stupid pill puzzle, had to do random combinations to figure it out. My 1st playthrough took me about an hour, mainly becauseof that pill puzzle.
There is a room that pretty much tells you the solution. I didn't have any trouble with the pill puzzle and actually found it to be one of the better puzzles in the game.
peek a boo
Just Passing Through

Post by peek a boo »

Restoration01 wrote:^I agree.
I really liked the part before the fight with Travis' Mother.
Examining all the drawings.
I still remember getting a bit frightened at the 1st audio flash back of the sanitarium. :oops:
I was in my room and it was pitch black. No sounds other than the tv. Then the flashback caught me completely off guard and i was freaked a bit. That and that door near it that was making all those demonic sounds ><

Other than that, the tunnel sections were a tad tedious.
mimee
Just Passing Through

Post by mimee »

Sanitarium wasnt that bad, as soon as you get there it kinda makes you feel like damn.. Ima not get out of here cause its a HUGE place.. Just the corridors and ven the center area where you pick what corridor to go its so damn big like a plaza.

but if you follow your map and get all your door checked and know where to go its pretty straight forward

I have to say the Theater was my fav area and the street areas. I cant have enough of this game.
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

I didn't like the Sanitarium. It was a level with lots of creepy potential, but it wasn't as unnerving as I thought it would be. Plus, it was too big. Although when I played, it was kind of funny that the dramatic scary music started playing the exact second the map zoomed out. I thought, "This shouldn't be too bad, should be nice and-" (map zooms out) "SHIT!!!This is going to take forever!" It didn't take forever, but it did take me around 2 hours.
Waiting_for_you
Just Passing Through

Post by Waiting_for_you »

I fucking hated this level. It felt really incomplete.
You know you can follow my voice
Through the dark turns and noise
Of this wicked little town
SHF

Post by SHF »

Other than it was confusing, it was quite great.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Waiting_for_you wrote:I fucking hated this level. It felt really incomplete.
Incomplete?? The map is huge (Not really), the first time you spend like 3 hours running here and there, it has several puzzles (The iron lung, the pills and the dolls and the fucking key that falls through the toilets), it has enconters with story characters, it has info about the main character, it has the damn flashbacks that stop your heart in your first playthrough, it has a lot of tedious exploration and it has a boss battle... What else did you want??

The sanitarium is the most complete level of the game along the motel, they are long because try to compensate the short levels of the hospital and the theatre...
SHF

Post by SHF »

They are only short levels if you know what youre doing lol
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

The theatre can be even longer if you suck at math and have issues with the spotlight puzzle.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^I suck at math and I managed to decipher this puzzle without any help.

Point is: None of the puzzles from this game are that hard. Maybe the dolls one but apart from that nothing.
Kaiza Killa
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: The Sanitarium

Post by Kaiza Killa »

I believe that the Sanitarium does have its merits. I thought that it was a nice change from places such as Brookhaven Hospital that were a little too modern, despite their derelict state. I am aware that Brookhaven was established a long time ago, but that is not really reflected by what the player sees when playing the game. The Sanitarium, however had a lot of character. It felt classical in its design. But in the end, it was a little too large though, but I do not think that it would have worked any other way. From my perspective, the player got a real sense of the grandeur of this building when they first opened the map, and I believe that the behemoth size of the map was sufficiently address by making most of the rooms inaccessible.

H+
"Everything above your neck's going to be a fine red mist" - Sniper (Team Fortress 2).
xyinparadise
Just Passing Through

Re: The Sanitarium

Post by xyinparadise »

The sanitarium is actually my fav stage but I agree with you on it being too big. Just getting that one key ( if I remember correctly ) was so annoying!
HA BISKY!!!
Nomad
Just Passing Through

Re:

Post by Nomad »

simeonalo wrote:I kind of like this level. Sure, it's long and boring, but many events unfold and it has th e best puzzle (Doll-Pill Puzzle) in the entire SH series, IMO.
Agreed.

Despite its size, it's a mental hospital: the most appropriate building to explore the abandoned traces of, in a horror game.

Like most, I loved the creativity of the pill puzzle (although was one of them a crossdresser or a tailor?)
Looking at the traces left behind by a mental hospital really brings out elements that give clues to people's suffering there, and how it seemed to suck for both patient and doctor. The indications imply those malfunctioning humans were like monsters. It personally made me feel sorry for the people there.

I did find the level fun to explore, other than the backtracking.
Never stops moving

V wrote:Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.