How did you feel when the game ended?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Re: How did you feel when the game ended?

Post by phantomess »

As the ending scene began, I found myself confused, and then had a dropped jaw for the rest of it, basically. I felt quite sad. I was torn between not liking what the ending meant, but liking it because it was, to me, such a good quality, unexpected ending.
Harrys_Girl wrote: Then I was quickly entertained by the psych profile outcome and how incorrect it was.
That too.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Just like everyone else, I felt sad at the end of the game. Despite having the ending twist spoiled for me by a new SHH member who didn't take the time to learn how to use spoiler tags (the thread wasn't even related to SH:SM either /bitterness), I still grew to like Harry. Sure,
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
this Harry wasn't real, and I knew that, but I still liked him by the end of the game. Well, at least it's a happy ending for Cheryl and her mum (I got the Love Lost ending).
lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

I was shocked, honestly. You knew something would be weird all along, but that was probably the one ending I didn't expect. Very, very sad. Poor CHERYL. Denial makes us do some incredible mental gymnastics.

Last edited by lain of the wired on 01 Sep 2010, edited 1 time in total.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^Poor Cheryl, lovely. No Heather in this game. :P
lain of the wired

I blame mental gymnastics.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I almost started crying. My girlfriend did start crying.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

I loved the ending and how the whole game was one psychological confusing journey, that came together nicely at the end...i felt kinda bad for cheryl, but she finally found the closure she desperately was seeking.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

...God, can you imagine how much of a twisted knife in the heart it must be to get the "Cheryl refuses to let go" ending on your first playthrough?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
lain of the wired

^You'd have to be pretty apathetic about the game to get it to begin with, though, since you get it by being lazy with the tests: no coloring, no changing the guilt line-up, put everyone into one category (dead or asleep), etc. I'd question whether someone headed towards that ending would even play to the end, much less be particularly effected by it.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

AuraTwilight wrote:...God, can you imagine how much of a twisted knife in the heart it must be to get the "Cheryl refuses to let go" ending on your first playthrough?

... I did get that ending. :cry: That was the only time I ever did get it. Every playthrough since I have gotten the other 2 endings. It was ok though, because I, like Cheryl, still believe Harry to be a hero and I still sickeningly love and worship him. I actually almost cried when Kaufmann said that I should let him go.

"No bitch! HE IS MINE AND I LOVE HIM! FUCK OFF!" was my reaction to "Your dad wasn't a hero."

I am touchy about Harry. <3
MariaRising
Gravedigger

Post by MariaRising »

I felt a combination of things... Relief that I finished the game, and sad about the ending, particularly the part in the Dr's office. I got the family themed ending, so it added to the sad feeling :(
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

lain of the wired wrote:^You'd have to be pretty apathetic about the game to get it to begin with, though, since you get it by being lazy with the tests: no coloring, no changing the guilt line-up, put everyone into one category (dead or asleep), etc. I'd question whether someone headed towards that ending would even play to the end, much less be particularly effected by it.
That's not actually entirely true.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I did everything on all the tests. I colored the pic over and over and over again before finally finishing. I thoughtfully considered the questions. I think I put 4 in the DEAD and 3 in the SLEEPING.

This game throughly enjoys fucking w/ people's heads.
lain of the wired

This once- just this once- being wrong absolutely enthralls me. If the game really, REALLY didn't base its ending choices solely on one set path of behavior to each, ("one set path" still being a somewhat broad and blurry path) that would imply that it's more dynamic than even I had hoped.

The basis of my thesis paper is looking better and better by the day. :mrgreen:
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I can say for certain that it is not solely based on the answers you give in the tests. I can either chose one course of action through the tests and play as I always do and get one outcome and play the opposite, for example chose the path of a drunk during the game play and answer the test questions as a sober-living person would.

Believe me, I've purposefully chosen prudish answers on the tests and yet still, by simply glancing at posters of women, gotten BoobZilla's chasing me and the Siren and Sleeze ending, even though by my test answers I should have gotten some other ending.

You might as well do you damn paper on me. I love trying to fuck w/ the game and seeing if it can pick up on what I am really doing.
lain of the wired

Ooh! Let me know how that goes, please! Bigger sample size can only serve to increase accuracy! :)

This thread just sent me into a total psychobabblegasm. I think I just wrote my hypothesis.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, I'm pretty much half-convinced the game fucking trolls people, because no one's been able to figure out how the damn thing works. It's pretty clear it's not random or anything, but no theories crafted on what gets what ending and such ever pans out. They did a stupendous job at keeping people from fudging the endings they want.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

The closest a game ever came to making me cry.

Interestingly the game became more emotional each time, due to realising what things mean. I mean the photograph you take of Cheryl alone on the swing, when she says "Daddy I need you" or something similar the one time I interpreted it as Cheryl not long after the accident etc.

In one ending I got on maybe my 3rd playthrough (and many subsequent playthroughs) the way Cheryl acted was just too much, yeah, it gave me tears in my eyes. And I don't cry in movies/games/stories. You guys probably know which version I mean if you've seen it.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

AuraTwilight wrote:Yea, I'm pretty much half-convinced the game fucking trolls people, because no one's been able to figure out how the damn thing works. It's pretty clear it's not random or anything, but no theories crafted on what gets what ending and such ever pans out. They did a stupendous job at keeping people from fudging the endings they want.
That's odd, though; I've purposely managed to get the Sleaze and Sirens ending with relatively little problem: answer sexually, stare at sexual imagery, Kaufmann's crotch, and female characters' breasts. Unless you mean the other endings moreso?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, I generally mean the other endings moreso. The game does seem to have a "Sexual/Everything Else" bent to it in terms of scale, which makes me half wonder if Sleaze and Siren might be "canonical" if one of them has to be. I certainly find it sort of interesting that that ending is the one with the most content to reach it, is the most straightforward to get, and is the only one that explains a couple of the characters.