This is one of the few games that made me legitimately sad.

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Re: This is one of the few games that made me legitimately s

Post by lain of the wired »

Ok, not me, but I just love how this turned out.

A friend of mine is definitely an alcoholic. His phone is routinely cut off because his money all goes into binge drinking and weed. His nickname is "Obstacle" because he gets so black-out drunk, he'll trip when there isn't even anything there. Just recently, however, he met an AMAZING girl for whom he's actually changing his habits for, of his own volition. She suggested he play it after we spent a bunch of time discussing the game. So: we have Obstacle trying to change for a girl he loves and would gladly settle down and start a family with. Oh, and did I mention he's always wanted a daughter?

He was freaking out during the game, and ended up weeping by the end. He got the drunk dad ending and was really, really moved/scared by the accuracy. The analysis was so spot on, he considered asking the friend watching him play to leave: he felt strange having someone in his head like that.

He was never a fan of the series before this, never played them, and really only knew anything about them because I'm such a huge fan. He's been talking to me about it non-stop since. I couldn't say if it's one of the few games to make him so sad, but I KNOW I've never seen him so deeply effected by a game before.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

There was something about the end of Shattered Mems that made me cry. It is the only time during a Silent Hill game that I ever cried, but not because it was sad, because it made me reflect on the relationship with my own "father figure." it was bittersweet for me, as a woman, and as a Silent Hill fan. I mean, you know, they very severely broke cannon. But it was interesting. See my dilemma?!

The main characters of Silent Hill, particularly James, always make me question the integrity of the player. (I mean no offense! Don't flame me, bro!) I'm not saying we are "immoral" or anything, I like them all too. It's just ultimate forgiveness on the player's part. The characters earned it, though. Silent Hill does that to people.

I hope ANY of that made sense!!
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I mean, you know, they very severely broke cannon.
No they didn't. Shattered Memories is a separate universe from the rest of the games just like the movie is, it's not supposed to "change" SH1 in the timeline.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

AuraTwilight wrote:
I mean, you know, they very severely broke cannon.
No they didn't. Shattered Memories is a separate universe from the rest of the games just like the movie is, it's not supposed to "change" SH1 in the timeline.
Um....ok. Sounds fair enough to me!

EDIT: I did not mean this post to be offensive or antagonizing towards AuraTwilight. Thank you for the correction. I worded my thoughts wrong.
Last edited by SilentWren on 20 Sep 2010, edited 1 time in total.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

lain of the wired wrote:Ok, not me, but I just love how this turned out.

A friend of mine is definitely an alcoholic. His phone is routinely cut off because his money all goes into binge drinking and weed. His nickname is "Obstacle" because he gets so black-out drunk, he'll trip when there isn't even anything there. Just recently, however, he met an AMAZING girl for whom he's actually changing his habits for, of his own volition. She suggested he play it after we spent a bunch of time discussing the game. So: we have Obstacle trying to change for a girl he loves and would gladly settle down and start a family with. Oh, and did I mention he's always wanted a daughter?

He was freaking out during the game, and ended up weeping by the end. He got the drunk dad ending and was really, really moved/scared by the accuracy. The analysis was so spot on, he considered asking the friend watching him play to leave: he felt strange having someone in his head like that.

He was never a fan of the series before this, never played them, and really only knew anything about them because I'm such a huge fan. He's been talking to me about it non-stop since. I couldn't say if it's one of the few games to make him so sad, but I KNOW I've never seen him so deeply effected by a game before.
Wow, that's pretty awesome.

If I were one of the developers, stories like this would make me proud of what I had done.
PromiseMe
Just Passing Through

Post by PromiseMe »

I really love playing this game, although it is the most depressing Silent Hill game besides SH2. Everything about it was sad, the intro movie, all of the echos, the little puzzles you have to solve, when you realize that Harry is dead, the different ending cutscenes. I cried alot in this game. Don't make fun of me, I can cry if I want. XD I really liked it. I think it's a good addition to the Silent Hill world. X)
You shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!!!!
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

Games never got me to cry, however there were moments in games that almost achieved it.
-The ending letter and The elevator scenes in SH2.
-A certain moment in Heavy rain, past the beggining.
-A romance ending in Baldur's Gate 2.
-The ending of Planescape: Torment, this one simply saddened me, not to mention the Deionarra's Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUt84LyH ... re=related) everything about that game is sad.
-Of course, the ending of Silent Hill: Shattered memories! BTW, that's a very interesting story lain.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

Sergiy wrote:Games never got me to cry
I cry all the time playing Ninja Gaiden Black.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

Well, in that case I should have mentioned Dragon Age II.... Which managed it.. How can a game be ruined so badly?
This does'nt really count because the story was a freaking Saturday morning cartoon...

Although...

"I had to go through sessions where I stare at myself in the mirror and cry."
-Nostalgia Critic
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I didn't cry when I played it, but I did choke up at the end. I had that lump in my throat as I saw the ending. Fighting back tears. Such a great game!
SH3girl32
Gravedigger

Post by SH3girl32 »

The ending music was sad. Well when I got Acceptance anyway. It's like a lullaby, but it's also sad. Other than that, I wasn't affected by the story that much. More of a mind-fuck when you find out what was really going on. Depending on what ending you got anyway.
AdjectiveRyan
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by AdjectiveRyan »

it's funny. reading through this thread has actually made me appreciate the game more. l ended up with the wicked and weak ending (think that's what it's called) and was dumbfounded by how acurate the ending summary had me pegged for. l've never been in an abusive relationship, though. told me how l was more introverted and couldn't care less about outside stimuli and l just have to say, spot on. as much as l know that it was a generalized statement brought forth by certain choices made, it felt personalized. pretty darn amazing...specially since the last time l saw this was a character stating that l don't save often or how l like castlevania (please someone get the reference).
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I have a tendency to have many different mood swings during a single day but the emotion that rules my life is "wrath".

Such forms of media, like movies, games and books (even real things) tends to make me sad but the impact isn't a big one. I don't drop a single tear, I only feel something like "Aww, this sucks. Alright, moving on."

Guess I'm just cold to the bone...