Why did you like it? (or not)

Discuss the original 2006 movie.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr. Domino
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. Domino »

Gans stated it in several interviews, including the DVD Documentary IIRC.
I'm not a self-righteous, egotistical, arrogant bastard - but I play one on the internet!
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Re: Why did you liked it? (or not)

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I was able to get through the movie twice, but I'm not sure that I ever will watch it again. They got some things right in the town and at the school, but not enough. A friend of mine, Megan, who I got into the games said she really liked it much. She was watching it on a laptop though so maybe she wasn't expecting much.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
ShadowBaby
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ShadowBaby »

I really don't understand many of the complaints. Sure it has some flaws, but nothing worth condemning the movie for. I mean, you can't expect the film to be exactly like the game. Personally, I wish they had expanded on the story a little more. But maybe Avery will fix things in the sequel.
I'm currently out in search of myself. If I happen come come back before I return, please ask me to wait for myself.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ True, you can't expect a movie to be exactly like the game, that would be boring and too long. But it could have had the same main character, more of the same locations, and hell, a more similar story. I'm sorry but they flat out changed too much. I don't believe it should have even been based off the first game if they were going to change that much.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Sam Pilgrim
Just Passing Through

Post by Sam Pilgrim »

I liked the movie.. I think it's one of the greatest adaptations of a video game.
But still, I did found the script corny.. and I can't forgive how they changed the All-Mighty Harry Mason for Rose.
The secret of fifty-two is that the multiverse still exists
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Post by SilentWren »

Thanks for posting this today^
I probably would've never seen this thread otherwise.

I liked the movie as a movie. It was an interesting new cannon for the film medium. As a fan of the games, I can say that I didn't like what they did with turning The Cult into a somewhat over-zealous Christian sect, but it worked in relation to the film's story line.

And to address what Sam said--I'm totally on the fence about Rose.
We lost our beloved Harry, but gained a strongly maternal protagonist...but I'm not sure which of these is more important to me.

Obviously, the other world transitions were visually stunning!

EDIT: I never got the opportunity to thank ShadowBaby for giving me useful information regarding this post. Thank you!
Last edited by SilentWren on 20 Sep 2010, edited 1 time in total.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
ShadowBaby
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ShadowBaby »

SilentWren wrote:Thanks for posting this today^
I probably would've never seen this thread otherwise.

I liked the movie as a movie. It was an interesting new cannon for the film medium. As a fan of the games, I can say that I didn't like what they did with turning The Cult into a somewhat over-zealous Christian sect, but it worked in relation to the film's story line.
Unless I'm mistaken, Gans (and Avery?) stated that Cristabella's group was not a part of The Cult. So, perhaps they could still be a part of the story in later installments.
I'm currently out in search of myself. If I happen come come back before I return, please ask me to wait for myself.
Ethos

Post by Ethos »

My question to you guys it, why did you liked the movie? (or not xD)
* And please give an example, instead of only saying "because it was scary". ^^
When I first saw the movie, I liked it, but I think that was the excitement that a movie had been made.

Looking at it now, I think it's a total cheesefest with nice atmosphere. Also, it's poorly scripted with sprinkles of some bad acting (I thought Dahlia and Cybil were amazing though). I didn't find a single moment of the film scary - there's no tension, and heart pounding moments are whittled away by constant screams and f bombs.

I'm not saying it's AWFUL - I just think the details could have gone with a little more cooking, and I believe Avery could have put the script through a rewrite. I also thought the movie took the easy route out with the explanation for Dark Alessa's appearance.

The funny thing is, everyone involved in the project is accomplished in some way. It's not for a lack of talent, and that's what surprises me most. The ingredients for the film weren't "done", they lack refinement and polish...

There's also issues with the pacing and overall length of the movie. It's reasons for going from point a to point b never match up for me - I felt like the whole thing was forced.

That's just my opinion. If there's a sequel (I've been told there is), I hope they really go over everything and make sure the make-up of it works better.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Making Harry a Girl was such an amazing idea! I was thinking that it would have been worse if Harry was Harry, not Rose :)
Mr. Domino
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. Domino »

I was thinking that the gender of the main character really doesn't matter -_-...

Just watched it again the other night with a SH-neophyte, and he loved it. Gonna show him Fungo's SH2 film-edit pretty quick.
I'm not a self-righteous, egotistical, arrogant bastard - but I play one on the internet!
Ghost
Just Passing Through

Post by Ghost »

I like it more everytime I see it. Great lines and ambient.
Father, why have you forsaken me?
Eddie So Crazy
Just Passing Through

Post by Eddie So Crazy »

I enjoyed the movie for what it was.
Yes the story was confusing to some degree but overall it was greatly done, the atmosphere was perfecly done and charaters did work well. They taken elements from different Silent Hill games and molded it into their own universe and overall they succeeded. Of course there was room for improvement still it was enjoyable and worth watching at least once, just dont try and understand the story as its not exactly easy to follow thats my only gripe.
Just put the gun to their head then...Pow!
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

The atmosphere and look was fantastic....Most of the acting was decent...The script could have used another rewrite or two and could have been told better in the actual film....Still an entertaining flick and the best Video Game Adaptation to date(although that could be considered faint praise).
odin1
Just Passing Through

Post by odin1 »

I loved the movie, I have watched it many times, the aptmosphere, the music, the sound, the special effects and cinematography were beyond fantastic and far exceeded my expectations.
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

Terrible film. For one thing there was too much exposition, no real mystery. Like having a whole sequence at the beginning to explain why they are going to Silent Hill, when they should have just started with them on their way there like the games do, so you can figure it out as they go. The movie also lacked the timeless feel of the games, with the inclusion of modern vehicles, and fucking looking up Silent Hill on a google search. What idiocy! Oh, I wonder how to find that weird mystery town. I'll just look up 'spooky ghost town' on google, ah, there it is.

And as if that's not bad enough, and there's any shred of mystery left in the story, let's have Alessa simply narrate the entire plot to the audience with a spoon. Let's also break the tension and immersion by cutting to unnecessary scenes of the husband being boring. The character performances were terribly awkward. The monsters were just sort of paraded out one after the other in an obligatory fashion rather than feeling integral to the story or characters, the music was like someone left on a playlist of random SH tracks.

I havent seen the movie in a long time because I have no interest, so I can't really remember all the reasons I thought it was a disgrace to the series.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
Roux
Just Passing Through

Post by Roux »

The main problem with the film, other than the obvious deviations from the original media, is that it was far too complex for the average movie goer to understand. How many people would have understood what the heck was going on if not for the fact they'd played the games first? My friend has never played the games, and when she went to see it, hadn't the faintest idea what was going on.

They got the atmopshere right, and the monsters looked good regardless of whether they were in the right game or not, but to most people, it would be like havng a conversation with someone speaking double Dutch. Unfortunately, the original game plot would have been just as confusing, so either way the fans lose out. It's either too complex for the majority of the audience to understand, or it's dumbed down to the point it becomes patronizing.
Weredolphin
Just Passing Through

Post by Weredolphin »

I like the cinematography and music. =)
Filipino Vampire - Available on Kindle, NOOK, and other reading devices.
http://raymundhensley.blogspot.com
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

I liked this movie, mainly for it's flawless atmosphere and design. But some scenes where freaking disturbing. :shock:
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

I love the movie. It's do dreamlike and ethereal. It's extremely relaxing to me to watch it and listen to the music and such.

Hell, I fall asleep to it half the time.
Haoie
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Haoie »

Just watched it again last night [2nd time], still didn't care for it too much. Nonetheless, better than most VG movies.

6/10
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.