What does Cybil represent?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

Hexagram
Just Passing Through

What does Cybil represent?

Post by Hexagram »

Okay, so from my own interpretations I've come up with these conclusions as to who represents what in the game...

Dahlia - Cheryl's mother shown in a negative manifestation
Michelle - Cheryl's fantasy mother whom she longed for
Lisa - Repressed guilt, blaming herself for Harry's death
Old couple - Cheryl's idea of the perfect couple where nobody died or got divorced but grew old together
John - Represents Harry as he breaks off his relationship with his wife.

But Cybil confuses me. At times, she seems to be trying to stop Harry (after Lisa dies) which makes me believe she's Cheryl's denial. But other times she seems to be trying to help him and reveal the truth (Harry in the wheel-chair).

Thoughts?
SHF
Historical Society Historian

Re: What does Cybil represent?

Post by SHF »

my theory on cybil is: im sure cybil knew cheryl. after all she has had problems with the law and authority figures.
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Hexagram
Just Passing Through

Post by Hexagram »

She also leads Harry through most of the game. She tells him to go to Levin street, then she drives him to the woods. Then tells him to go into the school. She also rescues him from the lake where he meets Lisa at the hospital. Hmmmm....
Ethos

Post by Ethos »

Maybe Cybil is Cheryl questioning her delusions? That's only an idea I just had, lol. If we're going by the "every character in Cheryl's fantasy world means something", then I think it sort of fits...Maybe? Not really a theorist, to be honest.

It just seemed that way to me. She's always there, pointing him in some kind of direction to the truth. At first, I thought she was a roadblock, but the more I think on it (and at a friend's point), she moves him to the conclusion.

This is only my view, lol, and my first theory :S.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

"Cybil" is probably based off of a police officer in Cheryl's life she associates with uncomfortable truth. Maybe the cop who found Harry's body, or something. Symbolically, she surely represents Cheryl's rational side. The voice she can't suppress that keeps telling her she's lying to herself.

She does, however, act as a roadblock. She drives Harry away from his destination and then leaves him, never returning as long as you wait...

She tells Harry to go places and then STAY PUT (don't the Raw Shocks try and keep him put in the same place?) She tries to arrest Harry...

But she keeps trying to tell him the truth, keeps saving his life, keeps helping him at the same time...Cybil keeps getting cockblocked by Cheryl's imagination, inhibiting her presence and ability to help.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

AuraTwilight wrote:"Cybil" is probably based off of a police officer in Cheryl's life she associates with uncomfortable truth. Maybe the cop who found Harry's body, or something. Symbolically, she surely represents Cheryl's rational side. The voice she can't suppress that keeps telling her she's lying to herself.
If you find the echo photo at the toluca mall, you'll hear a conversation between a hysteric man, panicking about his stabbed friend, and a police officer. The officer sounds a lot like Cybil.

I believe that Cybil is a construct made by Cheryl in her own delusion, representing her rational side, but manipulated somehow by Kauffman in order to find more about Cheryl's past: she drops Harry of in the woods, where we find out that Cheryl was in a lodge there, with an interesting view on her parents. Cybil orders Harry to go to the gym (and that way school) where Harry uncovers more about Cheryl's past in the school (like Mr. Gordon and an implied relationship), ...
And ofcourse: "You're not Harry Mason!"
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

She's also the first to broach the subject that harry died 18 years ago.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
KristinT
Just Passing Through

Post by KristinT »

Have the creative team explicitly stated anywhere that the non-sexualised Cybil design (as well as the voice acting for both) is based on Olivia Benson from 'Law & Order SVU'? Because even if she didn't look like her, the voice resemblance to Mariska Hargitay is uncanny.
SHF

Post by SHF »

@ ashatteredmemory: i will check this out. but i pretty much think youre on the right track
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Hexagram
Just Passing Through

Post by Hexagram »

ashatteredmemory wrote:I believe that Cybil is a construct made by Cheryl in her own delusion, representing her rational side, but manipulated somehow by Kauffman in order to find more about Cheryl's past: she drops Harry of in the woods, where we find out that Cheryl was in a lodge there, with an interesting view on her parents. Cybil orders Harry to go to the gym (and that way school) where Harry uncovers more about Cheryl's past in the school (like Mr. Gordon and an implied relationship), ...
And ofcourse: "You're not Harry Mason!"

Hmmm, interesting. I'm thinking now that Cybil in a way IS Kaufman. Or at least he's manipulated Cybil.

If you think about it, Cybil and Kaufman are present in the same ways. Cybil tells Harry to go to Levin street, Kaufman talks about the happy family home that we find on Levin street. Cybil tells Harry to go to the school, Kaufman talks about the days at school, etc.

At the hospital, Cybil tries to tell Harry the truth, just like Kaufman, but is frozen over as Cheryl suppresses the truth.

Kaufman brings up the idea of guilt where we meet Lisa who dies. After her death we're greeted by Cybil who blames us for Lisa's death. She then tries again to reveal the truth but once again is frozen.

The last time we meet Cybil, she is able to tell Harry the truth just before Kaufman explains the truth to Cheryl.

So it's possible Cybil is Kaufman. As Kaufman is exploring Cheryl's mind, he is using Cybil to actually go inside and guide Harry to the truth.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I don't think Kauffman is Cybil per se; it's not like he can literally interact with her fantasies. He's just listening to, and commenting on, accounts that Cheryl is telling him, which means that even Cybil is something he's being told by Cheryl's narrative. If anything, Cybil is an aggregate; she's Cheryl's rational side, combined with the parts of Kauffman's advances and comments that made it through her inner defenses.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Hexagram
Just Passing Through

Post by Hexagram »

But isn't Kaufman using the psych profiling to get inside Cheryl's head? Not literally of course, but to see what she's thinking and what she's feeling.

Dahlia, Michelle and Harry have been with Cheryl for a very long time (in her mind) but perhaps Cybil is a new character brought on by the presence of therapy?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Eh, I doubt it. The story Cheryl creates in her head is full of plotholes, handwaves, poor excuses, stuff like that. I figured it was pretty clear she was making everything up on the spot when being questioned about Harry's existence and why he wasn't here.
Hexagram
Just Passing Through

Post by Hexagram »

Therapy is bringing Cheryl closer to the truth, and there are links between what Kauffman is telling Cheryl and what Cybil is telling Harry. Cybil very well may be her rational side, but I'm thinking now she is being manipulated by Kauffman.

Also, depending on what story you're playing, Cybil says at the end she should've gone with her gut feeling, meaning she always knew the truth.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I very much doubt Cybil is being influenced by Kauffman. Just because they both want to tell Cheryl/Harry the truth doesn't mean they're causally connected. If anything, Cybil is the part of herself going "What he says is true. You need to learn to accept it."

The fact that Cybil has Daddy issues like every other girl Harry meets is a strong indicator. Unless Kauffman was Daddy's Girl too. :D
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

AuraTwilight wrote:"Cybil" is probably based off of a police officer in Cheryl's life she associates with uncomfortable truth. Maybe the cop who found Harry's body, or something. Symbolically, she surely represents Cheryl's rational side. The voice she can't suppress that keeps telling her she's lying to herself.

She does, however, act as a roadblock. She drives Harry away from his destination and then leaves him, never returning as long as you wait...

She tells Harry to go places and then STAY PUT (don't the Raw Shocks try and keep him put in the same place?) She tries to arrest Harry...

But she keeps trying to tell him the truth, keeps saving his life, keeps helping him at the same time...Cybil keeps getting cockblocked by Cheryl's imagination, inhibiting her presence and ability to help.
I like to think that Cybil is the officer that broke the news of Harry's death to Dahlia, which Cheryl probably overheard. Or something like that. Like you said, "uncomfortable truth".

Anyway, about leaving him in the woods like that, was that really a hindrance to Harry's journey? We got to see that Harry and his family spent time at that cabin in order to try to fix their marriage, and then there's all the hints to things that happened in the woods (the "new girl" photo for example). Then, we managed to find Silent Hill's make-out point, where Cheryl's then boyfriend tried to get sex out of her. All of this wouldn't have been experienced if Cybil didn't take him to the middle of no-where, and disappear.

While on the subject of Cybil taking Harry the wrong way, I've noticed that if the player has the car window done slightly, the houses going past suddenly disappear. One moment they're in town, the next, the middle of the forest, with no homes in sight. The distance between the last house and where they stop doesn't seem very far, so a house should be viewable from where the car stopped. I'm not sure if that's just a technical thing, or if it could be another mental roadblock from Cheryl (but then that wouldn't fit, seeing as Harry did learn something while in the woods).
AuraTwilight wrote:The fact that Cybil has Daddy issues like every other girl Harry meets is a strong indicator. Unless Kauffman was Daddy's Girl too. :D
You know, I always thought there was something odd about Kauffman... :wink:

Anyway, I also think Cybil is the part of Cheryl that wants to accept the truth (we all agree on that), but I think some of her actions are influenced by what Kauffman and Cheryl were discussing during that particular session. Basically, subconsciously Cheryl is thinking of a certain aspect of her life, and Cybil acts accordingly in order to get Harry to where he needs to go.
Hexagram
Just Passing Through

Post by Hexagram »

Yeah, like I said in another thread, since each character is a manifestation from Cheryl's mind, they all have a bit of Cheryl in them. So when Cybil is talking about her father resisting arrest, she may be expressing that part of Cheryl. Same goes when she abandons Harry in the woods or blames him for Lisa's death.

Regardless, you can't doubt that there are similarities in both Cybil and Kaufman. It could be a coincidence that Kaufman and Cybil both point Harry/Cheryl to the same locations and they're both trying to "spell it out" that Harry died in a car crash, but this is Silent Hill and there are no coincidences in these games.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Anyway, about leaving him in the woods like that, was that really a hindrance to Harry's journey? We got to see that Harry and his family spent time at that cabin in order to try to fix their marriage, and then there's all the hints to things that happened in the woods (the "new girl" photo for example). Then, we managed to find Silent Hill's make-out point, where Cheryl's then boyfriend tried to get sex out of her. All of this wouldn't have been experienced if Cybil didn't take him to the middle of no-where, and disappear.
That was only after he basically ditched her. If he followed Cybil's orders, he'd of been waiting indefinitely.
While on the subject of Cybil taking Harry the wrong way, I've noticed that if the player has the car window done slightly, the houses going past suddenly disappear. One moment they're in town, the next, the middle of the forest, with no homes in sight. The distance between the last house and where they stop doesn't seem very far, so a house should be viewable from where the car stopped. I'm not sure if that's just a technical thing, or if it could be another mental roadblock from Cheryl (but then that wouldn't fit, seeing as Harry did learn something while in the woods).
I think you're failing to account for the brief timeskip we've given, along with the natural opaqueness of the darkness.
Hexagram
Just Passing Through

Post by Hexagram »

AuraTwilight wrote:That was only after he basically ditched her. If he followed Cybil's orders, he'd of been waiting indefinitely.
Right, I think Cybil definately changes through the game. When she's talking to Harry in the car ride to the woods you can hear a lot of Cheryl in her dialouge. But as we progress, she's more like Kauffman. She's the only one from Cheryl's mind who seems to figure out what's going on and the only one who seems to hold all the answers.
Miette
Just Passing Through

Post by Miette »

I think she stands for curiosity, and growing knowledge. Throughout the whole game, she is trying to figure out who Harry really is.
If the children don't grow up, our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up.