Silent Hill 5: Pros (What you like)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

valiturus wrote:1.) The music. The best scores I've heard since SH3.

2.) The story.

3.) The creatures. Very original and fresh from Team Silent. I especially loved Sepulcher; very disturbing.
There was no Team Silent.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Bluebolt77
Just Passing Through

Post by Bluebolt77 »

One of the pros for me was being able to see Pyramid Head in current gen graphics.
Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the story and thought it was well done.
The combat was better than previous iterations in the series but still left a little to be desired for me.
Let Silent Hill purify you.
butters
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by butters »

SethSunderland wrote:
DistantJ wrote:All I can say is, as tempting as it will be, don't give up at the police station. The area gives you a bit of tough love in order to get you used to the combat and at first it can be a total nightmare, but it's worth it.
I admit, I almost gave up too. I think a lot of the motivation I got to continue was for the fact that I was playing it on release day, and I wanted to be the first to find out something awesome. I swear, It was difficult, half wanting to play more, half wanting to post more on the forum. XD.
You guys probably made it more difficult than it needed to be.. I was like WTF at first when there seemed to be an endless hoarde of those things, so I just ran all the way to the garage and only had to fight three of them. :wink:
Myrrh Macho Sehr Gacho
Skylerness
Just Passing Through

Post by Skylerness »

I think the voice actors are awesome! The cut scenes in the other games... voice actors just weren't that good and it felt awkward. :x This is my favourite game and I've only been playing it for 10 minutes.
What the hell?
Sam Pilgrim
Just Passing Through

Re: Silent Hill 5: Pros (What you like)

Post by Sam Pilgrim »

I really liked the combat training!.. those combos really saved my ass a few times.
The bosses were cool and the story too.
The secret of fifty-two is that the multiverse still exists
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Re:

Post by simeonalo »

paladin181 wrote:
valiturus wrote:1.) The music. The best scores I've heard since SH3.

2.) The story.

3.) The creatures. Very original and fresh from Team Silent. I especially loved Sepulcher; very disturbing.
There was no Team Silent.
:? Double Helix made the game.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

The graphics are amazing, so is the combat. I also laughed at the fact that you can play the game again with the Pyramid Head helmet, though I think he didn't really need to be in the game. The music was awesome and the enemies were well-designed and creepy. I especially liked Scarlett.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
SilentHillgod
Just Passing Through

Post by SilentHillgod »

I like that the street names are based off of horror movie directors(like Wes Craven) instead of book authors. To me, that minute difference changes the atmosphere of the game.

-I also like that you get very little ammo(at least for me, I'm finding almost none). It's like SH3 where you Have to run away constantly or else waste precious bullets.

Good variation on the patient demon too; I Hate that smog!! ;)
"Nothing can stop the power of life-not even death"
Matrix
Just Passing Through

Post by Matrix »

The overall challenge of it. Even if you search for walkthroughs you still have to put the work in to complete.
THANK YOU SCHISMS for the added challenge.

And the graphics for the environments were quite good.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

Matrix wrote:The overall challenge of it. Even if you search for walkthroughs you still have to put the work in to complete.
THANK YOU SCHISMS for the added challenge.

And the graphics for the environments were quite good.
Super agreed. The game is really easy to wrap your head around, compared to other Silent Hill games. But even if you know what to do, you've got to fight your way through.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
JdubIII
Just Passing Through

Post by JdubIII »

honestly i am surprised that you guys have such high opinions of the game. Don't get me wrong I liked it for what it was. One, I didn't like that you really didn't need the flashlight. Two, I didn't like that the monster didn't really reflect what Alex sin/s. I didn't appreciate the unnecessary use of the James' hot Bobble Head nurses though they were nice eye candy. Three, the other characters weren't fucked up enough. I miss 'fatso' from SH2 and the blond nurse from SH one. The monsters design were a bit stupid too, while creepy they were too weapon like. The bosses are awesome though, I liked the bosses well, maybe just the doll one and the final boss. The first one seemed to much like something from resident evil 5.

The thing that pissed me off the most was the fact that I read the ending to the game on wiki before playing the game. But I didn't read how it happened. Just that
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Alex killed him. And when I saw that cut scene I was pretty pissed at Alex. Like I wanted to kill him. But I took up the controller and kicked the final bosses ass anyways.
So yea I guess I still got the experience I paid for.

1.) Mark your spoilers or just don't post them.
2.) This thread is all about what people liked about Homecoming. There's another thread for what you dislike, so your post is completely off-topic.
3.) Your avatar needs to be resized. 100x100 pixels is the max for non-subscribers.
4.) Have a nice day. :)
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

Did you play the original 4 games? That's why a lot of people have such high expectations for the game and say it had a weak story compared to others, and fatso is Eddie, nurse is Lisa. If we think that no SH games other than Homecoming were made, then I guess there would be more favorable views on it.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I really love Homecoming for the most part... It has one or two... things I feel "don't belong" in Silent Hill (Well, what do I know? Konami make the games, not me), some of the scenes where the characters run from monsters together, barricade themselves in places, speak on walkie talkies, it seems wrong to me, as if they shouldn't be 'seeing' the monsters like Alex does, but then similar things have happened in past SH games just not as naturally, there's always been something a bit 'off' about these scenes, as if the different characters weren't all experiencing the same things as each other, but as soon as I look past things like that it's one of my favourite PS3 games, there's so much beauty about it and it really does know how to recreate the Silent Hill atmosphere and spirit while bringing it into a more mainstream 'pop horror' light...

So I guess it's one of these things where it depends on how willing you are to forgive things... I've always been somebody who can look past flaws and personal niggles when the bigger picture is good, like Sonic 4's different physics or some of the SH movie's cheesy lines. Never really bothered me...
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

i actually liked that the otherworld was communal i mean yeah it meant that everyone one saw the same monsters and such

but i liked it in this game,it gave the game a different flavor, i mean this could have easily happened in some of the previous titles if only they had more characters like sh 1 or 3 or four if i am not mistaken

i mean there have been more titles where more ppl experience the same otherworld then ppl give credit for
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

Ok, my pros of the game were:

*The graphics were great*
*While the games story was all too clear, it was a very well told story.*
*A good musical score (as always)*
*The combat was tweaked slightly for the better*

A good game overall, but not to the standard the Japanese games are at. You can tell Double Helix don't quite get what Silent Hill is about.
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

I don't really like this game. Imo I thought it was a pretty bad SH game, and didn't even feel like a SH game. At least with SH4 they still made it stay true to the design philosophy Team Silent had constructed with the older games. But, as a stand alone survival-horror game, I think Homecoming is pretty good. One thing is the graphics. They aren't the most excellent graphics of this generation, and they lack the charm of the motion capture actors or the grittier and bleaker environments from the older games (Heck, I think SH3 looks better than this game), but they still look good. The other is the combat. As out of place and unfitting the combat system is, it was very fun and engaging, with some of the coolest boss battles in the series. Additionally, the story was well told, though it lacked the craftsmanship of the Japanese games' way of story-telling. Finally, there is its decent attempt to expand on the universe of SH by introducing Shepherd's Glen. As decent as an idea this was, I don't think SG was really an interesting place, nor did it have as thrilling a backstory as Silent Hill itself. I guess that's all the good I have to say about it.

I have no hard feelings against anyone who enjoys Homecoming. I just feel too attached to the Silent Hill that Team Silent had created. To me, Homecoming is more of a fun fan-fiction, and I don't consider it as part of the canon. So I won't take my dislike for the game too seriously. I'm also still looking forward to Silent Hill 8, though I can't help the lingering feeling that I'll end up being disappointed once again.
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun
Vestu
Just Passing Through

Post by Vestu »

One of the best bosses if not the best (Scarlet).
Responsive and enjoyable gameplay.
One of the best soundtracks if not the best.
Good atmosphere reminiscent of SH2 at times.
The whole Scarlet part of the game was creepy.

In my opinion easily the third best SH-game (1st SH2, 2nd SH1).
Just passing through since 2007.
BlackRose
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackRose »

I disliked Homecoming a great deal so this is hard but:

-The music was pretty good.
-Good graphics/animation (for the most part).
-Controls weren't too bad.

Yep, that's all i got folks.
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
Stephen King
Pleasant Sinner
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Pleasant Sinner »

I can think of some pros here...

-I actually dig the whole "family" theme of the game...felt very close to home
-Some characters like Mayor Bartlet, Adam and Lillian Shepard...think that's it :|
-The boss battles were cool, especially Sepulcher and Scarlet. It felt American...but in a "good" way
-Music was pretty good...can't get 'Old Friend', 'Soldier's Order' and 'Witchcraft' outta my head
-The otherworld house...'nuff said
-Voice acting was pleasant
-And the freakin' sweet laser pistol :lol:
-etc...

So for me it wasn't over-the-top horrible and was rather fun to play.
Mr. E. Nygma
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr. E. Nygma »

The Story was the 2nd-3rd best from the series.
I love the Silent Hill Series. The Games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I Believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their Series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.